5.0 out of 5 stars Years pass by, but do things change?
It might seem an odd choice to review a book coming up ten years old, but this has been sitting on my shelf gathering dust, and as it is the only Grisham book I haven't read, I decided to dip into it while I waited for the new Lee Child to come out. I'm glad I did.

Published on 30 Mar 2007 by David Carter

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither good or bad
A fairly easy book to read before going to sleep but not something I'd want to sit up all night reading. Fairly predictable plot and not terribly exciting.
Published 6 months ago by MrN.McGranahan

5.0 out of 5 stars Years pass by, but do things change?, 30 Mar 2007
David Carter "David Carter - Author of The Fi... (Christchurch, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)

It tells the story of Michael Brock, Corporate Lawyer earning big bucks, pretty wife, fast lane to partner status and millionairedom. Everything is rosy until an odd incident occurs. A vagrant, a street dweller hijacks the lawyers in their tower-block office and before he can make clear his demands, special-forces blow him away. The vagrant's brains are splashed over Brock's face. It changes his outlook on life, but then it would.

He begins to take an interest in the homeless, he resigns his cushy job and big bucks, loses his wife, and takes on pro bono unpaid legal work on behalf of the street people, and that is just the beginning of his journey.

This book concentrates attention on homeless people in American inner cities. Whether their plight has greatly changed in the intervening ten years I have no idea, but my guess is things haven't altered that much.

As always with Mister Grisham's books the narrative rushes along. I was never tempted to duck any pages and it is all too easy to see why he has shifted so many copies of his books over the years. I liked this one a lot. It was thought provoking, retained my attention throughout, and though I kind of guessed the ending long before I actually arrived there, I was never disappointed.

If you like Grisham, you will like this. If you don't like Grisham you will probably still like it. Definitely recommended.

Coincidentally this very day John Grisham was in London to collect a lifetime achievement award for among other things, selling over 250 million books. Incredibly he stated he had never won an award before. Perhaps writers should be more valued by us all, and feted too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read - A Real Must Have, 29 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)
This book is brilliant! The story grabs you from the very first chapter which prompts you to continue reading. The story tells of how a hard-hearted lawyer re-thinks his priorities in life and chooses to help those people less off. The story is touching and makes you think after reading it. It is definately not just a read and throw away book! John Grisham has demonstrated what an excellent writer he truly is with this text and I would advise anyone who is reading this review to purchase the book as soon as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grisham with social conscience, 21 Oct 2006
G. J. Weeks (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)
Grisham often writes about the mendacity of lawyers who will do all they can to earn as much as possible, usually over-billing their clients. But here we have lawyers who have a conscience. The life of one greedy lawyer is changed for ever by contact with a deranged homeless man. He becomes a lawyer for the poor losing his wealth, his wife and almost his career. My one criticism would be that his ending is so nice as to be rather incredible. Nevertheless, you have to love the abilities of a great storyteller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Grisham novel, 26 Jan 2005
John Kimble (N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)
A Yale graduate and fast tracked to partnership, Michael Brock has sacrificed everything, including his marriage, for the law and his firm Drake + Sweeny.
However a kidnapping by a homeless man 'Mister' is about to have a profound effect on his life. When the hostage situation is brought to a seemingly unnecessary violent ending Michael begins to look into Misters background and realises he is yet another victim of a big corporation who had his rights under the law overlooked.
A meeting with Mordecai Green, a legal champion for the homeless, changes Michael forever and sees the unlikely event of him turning his back on certain wealth and prosperity for a much less money, swapping his plush office for more basic surroundings.
I feel this is a good read, though it does lose its way a little. However I feel it demonstrates how today after some soul searching, people can still be called to their vocation, however unlikely.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written book that makes you take notice, 14 April 2001
By A Customer
After reading the street lawyer, I started to notice myself the level of homelessness in my own city, Michael Brock a young lawyer has a drastic life changing experience that brings to light the plight of the homeless in Washington, and uncovers a dark wrongdoing comitted by his colleagues.
The book is written well and the sad story gives you a lot to think about and makes you see just what is around you, stuff i hardly ever noticed until reading this, one of the best books i've read and certainly one of John Grishams finest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 5 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book, and in my opinion, Grisham's best. It was fast paced, emotive, and exciting. I felt a real empathy with the character Micheal which has changed a part of my life. If you miss this then you miss out on something special.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written story. Grisham draws you in, 11 May 1999
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)
Very well written story. Grisham draws you into involvement with the key character without you noticing. The book is subtle enough to really enjoy, and hard hitting enough to have you questioning yourself. A very enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A guilt ridden read..., 31 Jan 2005
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)
An excellent portrayal of how life must be for the homeless. A clever book which makes you think about your own contributions to the poverty stricken people around you.
In my opinion a book which stirs emotion and makes you think how you can improve yourself, is a book worth reading!
Buy a copy now... and then give it away to a homeless charity!

4.0 out of 5 stars Food for Thought, 16 Aug 2006
G. M. Buchanan "Page marker" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)
Having read most of John Grishams books I would say that this book is probably more close to reality then any of his other work.Although I hasten to add that I have enjoyed nearly all his other work. I felt after reading this book that it was actually based on a true incident in his life. This is a story that shows the glitter of top society in America and also shows the messy underbelly of America that a lot of people will not admit is part of American life.A book that we should all read,and then, thank our own particular God that we had the money to buy the book and somewhere nice and cosy to sit and read it. A lot of our fellow human beings don't have that luxury. This book brings that home to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A typical Grisham Novel, 30 Sep 1999
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Hardcover)
For anyone who has read any of John Grisham before, this book may well seem like more of the same, which of course is absolutely fine, if you liked reading his previous novels. The book is a little slow to get started, but once you get into it, it really does keep you wanting to turn the pages. All of the characters are very easy to relate to, if a little cliched. To summarise, if you're a fan of John Grisham, then this book certainly won't let you down. Equally so, if you've never read any of his other books, you will probably still enjoy this one. However, if you were looking for anything new or original, then look again, because this book certainly is not for you.

ARRAY(0xaef50d68)

The Street Lawyer
The Street Lawyer by John Grisham (Paperback - 28 Oct 2010)
5.59