4.0 out of 5 stars Full of unexpected twists - a must for any Grisham fan
Published on 28 Jan. 2001 by Peter

This is the most disappointingly irritating John Grisham novel I have read so far. The writing is Grisham's usual - no complaints over style - but the plot is awful.

Published on 8 Aug. 2010 by Jim J-R

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of unexpected twists - a must for any Grisham fan, 28 Jan. 2001
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
I was first introduced into the amazing world of John Grisham after a friend of mine recommended it. The Partner is the fourth in the series that I have read and I found it as good if not better than the last three. I now own most of his books so I'll have no shortage of reading material for the next few weeks. From the opening paragraphs of The Partner I was hooked and couldn't put it down. I found myself hoping that Patrick would somehow manage to get out of jail and ride of into the sunset with his beatiful Brazilian girlfriend. I was thoroughly confused by the last few pages as it contradicted everything I saw throughout the book and came to the conclusion that the ending had been hurried to meet a deadline or Grisham had been toying with more than one outsome. For me, if the last chapter had been left off, or changed, it would have been a five star read. I would advise anyone, whether or not you are already a fan of Grishams books to read this. I guarantee that you'll love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars What next? 'The Janitor'...?, 7 Jan. 2013
T. T. Rogers - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
I can't help but think that John Grisham must have a pre-prepared list somewhere of potential titles for stale legal thrillers. I can imagine him working his way down the list with each newly-completed manuscript being assigned a banal title such as 'The Equity Partner', 'The Criminal Lawyer', 'The Usher', 'The Law Clerk', 'The Special Agent' or 'The Law Student', or whatever. [I hope this doesn't give him any ideas]. He really started this with his second outing, 'The Firm' (his best legal novel) and he has so far also covered: (Pelican) Brief, Client, Chamber, Rainmaker, (Runaway) Jury, Partner (this one), (Street) Lawyer, Testament, Brethren, Summons, (King of) Torts, (Last) Juror (again!), Broker, Appeal, Associate, Confession, Litigators, Racketeer. He hasn't given us 'The Judge' yet, which would seem to me an obvious and natural progression [what's wrong with the man?] and so that title must be somewhere in our future. Maybe eventually he'll get to the janitor?

Actually, 'The Partner' is quite a good novel by Grisham standards, which was a surprise as the cringy title lowered my expectations considerably. The story moves along quickly. It's typical Grisham hitting at 'average': far-fetched and forgettable with wafer-thin characterisation, but real-like and compelling enough to suspend disbelief and keep you hooked for a couple of hours. I can sympathise with some of the other reviewers who have criticised the ending. Grisham does seem to struggle with that aspect of his writing and too many of his novels have a flat conclusion, however in this case I liked the way the story finished. It was just right for the main character as it resolved the moral imbalance that had been hanging-over proceedings. Overall, this is nothing special but it's still worth reading even if you're not a Grisham regular.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just in the courtroom, 4 Jan. 2007
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
The same old Grisham. The master of the yarn, but this time a little different. He's not in the courtroom this time - no. There is a lawyer involved, or rather an ex lawyer, but this time he's on the run. He flees from country to country and the people chasing him catch.... well that would be telling wouldn't it. Suffice to say the book is classic Grisham, at his best spinning a yarn without an awful lot going on. It's gripping and the ending well.... that would be telling too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Grisham book I have read in a while, 8 Mar. 2002
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed the Partner. It has more twists and turns than a very twisty thing! I was kept guessing right until the end as to what was going to be revealed next. Definetely Grisham at his best. Go out and buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect legal thriller?, 14 Dec. 2006
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
Riveted from the back-page blurb to the final line, I read cover to cover in about six hours. The story does not let up for a moment and although Grisham always drops hints and clues as to where it's going you never know how, why, where or the end until you get there. Told in a bare, undescriptive and characteristically no-nonsense style, Patrick Lanigan's 'crime' proves to be anything but and the intricacies and loopholes of the law are dealt with masterfully. This book is excellent, excellent, excellent and all the characters are completely believable. There were a few typographical errors, not that that is particularly important, but I couldn't believe that such a large print-run let them through (this was in the Arrow edition, 1997).

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book from a fantastic author, 21 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
This was the first John Grisham I have ever read and I have to say that it was brilliant from start to finish. I have never read a book that was so difficult to put down. An ingenious plot and superb writing made this an incredible story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute thriller, 17 May 2004
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
This was the first Grisham book i read and i have now read 3 of his books and i can firmly say that this still is my favouite. And definatly one of his best books. This book has your attention from the off set! The first few chapters are amazing! Grisham is vivid with his description but doesn't dewell on it. There isn't a slow chapter anywhere in the book, something new is always being unvealed to keep you interested. The overall plot of the book is amazing. Some might say the ending was weak i thought it was good, as long as you don't try to sit down and figure it out. If you just sit back and read the book you will be amazed by what happens and you will have the book finished in no time. A truely great book

3.0 out of 5 stars The most disappointingly irritating John Grisham novel I have read, 8 Aug. 2010
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)

Patrick is a criminal who faked his own death and stole $90 million from his employer, yet he is the star of the show and we are meant to sympathise, despite learning relatively little about how or why he did it until fairly late on. He's now been caught, and the book tells the story of his attempts to get away with it.

Forget what I said earlier. The style is awful. Almost the entire plot is played out as dialogue. Between Patrick and his lawyer, Patrick and his judge, the FBI and the victims etc. As such there is no action at all beyond the first chapter. Everything is people talking about events in the past.

And finally, the end, while set up to be the traditional Grisham conclusion, suddenly departs from that track at the last second leaving the reader feeling unfulfilled. There's no hint whatsoever that this is what's coming.

So overall this gets three stars from me. It's entertaining from the point of view that you keep reading because you want to know all the details, but infuriating because of the points above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once Grisham's true fan, always his fan, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Partner (Kindle Edition)
I actually appreciate that John engulfs us into murky world of underground deals, fraudulent legal claims or money swindling affairs, himself having a career of a watchful lawyer behind him which mean he knows what he's talking about.

It always leaves me wondering if the framework of the stories he writes about are really happening out there and that only we, the ordinary tax payers, don't seem to hear about.

I don't care if the plot thickens enough or if there is enough blood or mystery in the book because to be quite frank, I knew "who dunnit" in Scott Turow's Presumed Innocent half way through.
So John, please, just keep laying bare facts about lawyers' world to me too coz I am glad I know more and more about the world's most hidden various mechanisms, by the end of the day. Because where's a chance for a big fish to screw someone, a lawyer is needed to get his client safe exit us, sardines commuting to regular work as it may be, not always get to hear about.

****SPOILER ALERT*****
Some people complain that the end of the book was not satisfying enough.
It gave me, personally, a thought for food, actually.
Eva didn't turn up when you finish the book, right? What if something happened to her on her way back to Brazil? What if Soprano chased her down and played one of his quizzing over the money games? Wasn't he asking about her before he was about to flee the local area.

Anyway, it makes me think that life is a theatre, and we are its actors. Whether in reality or in the fiction. Perhaps the book calls for its sequel to answer the questions of what happened to Eva? Perhaps readers should try to imagine it instead of demanding "their" ending from the writer?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Help From His Friends, 16 Nov. 2012
John M. Ford "johnDC" (near DC, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Partner (Kindle Edition)
Patrick Lanigan is dead, as far as anyone knows. His widow Trudy has collected on a substantial life insurance policy and brought her long-term affair into the open. His friends have shed their tears and made their peace with his absence. And his former partners are relieved that they will not need to run him out of the law firm to conceal their own illegal activities.

When quite a lot of the law firm's money disappears, it becomes clear that Patrick did not die in a car accident. He has the money and is... somewhere. There are people who want the money back. They look for him for years and finally they find him. After some unpleasantness, Patrick finds himself in Federal custody, facing charges of embezzlement and murder. He recuperates and begins to tell his story.

Patrick begins to put his life back together with the help of two other lawyers. Sandy is his attorney, longtime friend, and one of the pallbearers at his funeral. Eva is a close personal friend who has helped Patrick hide the money he stole. With their help, Patrick follows a carefully-crafted plan to obtain his freedom once again.

This is an excellent legal thriller, as we expect from John Grisham. It is a mixture of painstaking plans and clever improvisations. As Patrick's story unfolds, we understand more about his motivations and revise some of our initial assumptions. Some characters, on the other hand, behave pretty much as expected.

If you enjoy this book, you may also want to read The Racketeer, also by John Grisham. It has different plot twists, but a similar theme.

The Partner
The Partner by John Grisham (Paperback - 28 Oct. 2010)