5.0 out of 5 stars Best Grisham book I have read in a while
I thoroughly enjoyed the Partner. It has more twists and turns than a very twisty thing! I was kept guessing right until the end as to what was going to be revealed next. Definetely Grisham at his best. Go out and buy it!
Published on 8 Mar 2002 by Dr L J Harwood

This is the most disappointingly irritating John Grisham novel I have read so far. The writing is Grisham's usual - no complaints over style - but the plot is awful.

Published on 8 Aug 2010 by J. R. Johnson-Rollings

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Grisham book I have read in a while, 8 Mar 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book from a fantastic author, 21 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
This was the first John Grisham I have ever read and I have to say that it was brilliant from start to finish. I have never read a book that was so difficult to put down. An ingenious plot and superb writing made this an incredible story.

3.0 out of 5 stars The most disappointingly irritating John Grisham novel I have read, 8 Aug 2010
J. R. Johnson-Rollings (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)

Patrick is a criminal who faked his own death and stole $90 million from his employer, yet he is the star of the show and we are meant to sympathise, despite learning relatively little about how or why he did it until fairly late on. He's now been caught, and the book tells the story of his attempts to get away with it.

Forget what I said earlier. The style is awful. Almost the entire plot is played out as dialogue. Between Patrick and his lawyer, Patrick and his judge, the FBI and the victims etc. As such there is no action at all beyond the first chapter. Everything is people talking about events in the past.

And finally, the end, while set up to be the traditional Grisham conclusion, suddenly departs from that track at the last second leaving the reader feeling unfulfilled. There's no hint whatsoever that this is what's coming.

So overall this gets three stars from me. It's entertaining from the point of view that you keep reading because you want to know all the details, but infuriating because of the points above.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just in the courtroom, 4 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
The same old Grisham. The master of the yarn, but this time a little different. He's not in the courtroom this time - no. There is a lawyer involved, or rather an ex lawyer, but this time he's on the run. He flees from country to country and the people chasing him catch.... well that would be telling wouldn't it. Suffice to say the book is classic Grisham, at his best spinning a yarn without an awful lot going on. It's gripping and the ending well.... that would be telling too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of unexpected twists - a must for any Grisham fan, 28 Jan 2001
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
I was first introduced into the amazing world of John Grisham after a friend of mine recommended it. The Partner is the fourth in the series that I have read and I found it as good if not better than the last three. I now own most of his books so I'll have no shortage of reading material for the next few weeks. From the opening paragraphs of The Partner I was hooked and couldn't put it down. I found myself hoping that Patrick would somehow manage to get out of jail and ride of into the sunset with his beatiful Brazilian girlfriend. I was thoroughly confused by the last few pages as it contradicted everything I saw throughout the book and came to the conclusion that the ending had been hurried to meet a deadline or Grisham had been toying with more than one outsome. For me, if the last chapter had been left off, or changed, it would have been a five star read. I would advise anyone, whether or not you are already a fan of Grishams books to read this. I guarantee that you'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute thriller, 17 May 2004
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
This was the first Grisham book i read and i have now read 3 of his books and i can firmly say that this still is my favouite. And definatly one of his best books. This book has your attention from the off set! The first few chapters are amazing! Grisham is vivid with his description but doesn't dewell on it. There isn't a slow chapter anywhere in the book, something new is always being unvealed to keep you interested. The overall plot of the book is amazing. Some might say the ending was weak i thought it was good, as long as you don't try to sit down and figure it out. If you just sit back and read the book you will be amazed by what happens and you will have the book finished in no time. A truely great book

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect legal thriller?, 14 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
Riveted from the back-page blurb to the final line, I read cover to cover in about six hours. The story does not let up for a moment and although Grisham always drops hints and clues as to where it's going you never know how, why, where or the end until you get there. Told in a bare, undescriptive and characteristically no-nonsense style, Patrick Lanigan's 'crime' proves to be anything but and the intricacies and loopholes of the law are dealt with masterfully. This book is excellent, excellent, excellent and all the characters are completely believable. There were a few typographical errors, not that that is particularly important, but I couldn't believe that such a large print-run let them through (this was in the Arrow edition, 1997).

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and fast paced, 22 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
One of the best John Grisham book I have ever read, fast paced has you gripped from the first page

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Grisham, 17 July 2013
This review is from: The Partner (Kindle Edition)
A typically Grisham story. Very readable but I found the story just a little far fetched. Okay, but not one of his best. I don't want to give away the story and spoil it for others, but I don't believe it could happen (even in America!)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sue G, 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Partner (Kindle Edition)
A disappointing read as a Grisham fan, lacking much of his usual edge of your seat tension. A few twists but mostly predictable and very difficult to get to know many of the characters who were somewhat non-descript.

The Partner
The Partner by John Grisham (Paperback - 28 Oct 2010)
6.04