5.0 out of 5 stars 2 cases and an insight into Mike Burdon...
Published on 6 Dec. 2012 by C. FULLER

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good really - amazed this series has lasted so long
I have heard of the wexford novels but never read one or seen them on telly. as it happens, he's not in this much anyway, it mostly focuses on Mike Burdon.
Published 17 months ago by Terrahurtz

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 cases and an insight into Mike Burdon..., 6 Dec. 2012
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: No More Dying Then: (A Wexford Case) (Paperback)
I cannot believe I am the first to review this but being a fan of the television series I wanted to read it and see how they compared. I found this story very good and more of an in depth character picture of Mike Burdon and Reg Wexford seemed to have a smaller role in this book. I could see that both characters had transferred to screen very well keeping many of the traits in the book. Mike's wife Jean had died and he was not coping with the changes this had imposed. The investigation of the death of a girl and the disappearance of a boy take on a personal interest and a love interest that brings Mike into contact with a most alternative lifestyle. Reg relies on Mike and is there to offer sometimes gruff support but most genuinely. Ruth Rendell originally had this published in 1971 and this paper back is easy to read as the print is a good size and to be honest once I started reading I had to get back into it as soon as I could. I will certainly read more of Ruth Rendell's books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A game of two halves..., 19 Feb. 2014
Iain C. Davidson "iain1825" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This short(ish) early Wexford novel is a bit of a mixed bag. There is a 'murder mystery' of course but in many ways, that is the least interesting or satisfying thing about this book. What really makes this worth reading is the excellent portrait of Inspector Mike Burden at a crisis point in his life. One gets the impression that Rendell really enjoyed getting her teeth sunk into this juicy, emotional subplot and it works astonishingly well. The characters surrounding Burden are equally well drawn and interesting, the two ladies in his life superbly contrasted. I have to say that until this book, I was not particularly fond of Wexford's subordinate and although he is often unlikeable in this one too, he is ultimately portrayed very sympathetically.

As suggested above, this book could have worked pretty well without the 'murder mystery' which almost becomes a subplot and, to be honest, its not one of Rendell's best. At one point Wexford says he doesn't like co-incidences but there are FAR too many here! Rendell DOES play fair and the clues are all there but this is another of her works (the earlier books are sometimes guilty of this) where the murderer is not given enough space to develop as a real character and I felt slightly cheated. Also, strangely for a book which deals with the murder and disappearance of children, it remains oddly uninvolving in that respect. Stella Rivers was twelve years old but she might as well be twenty two from an 'emotional impact' point of view.

For the mystery alone, this might have scored a 3 or even 2 star but the Burden subplot (which is really the main plot) elevates it to 4 for me. Its a nice foretaste of the best of the standalone thrillers.

4.0 out of 5 stars No more dying then, 29 Jan. 2013
A typical Wexford read enjoyable to the end, surpised about Mike Burton social life, with a twist in the tail!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Oct. 2014
always the best read will always buy her books

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good really - amazed this series has lasted so long, 29 Nov. 2013
Terrahurtz (Kidlington, Oxon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No More Dying Then: (A Wexford Case) (Paperback)
Following a child abduction he jumps into bed almost immediately with the apparent victim's mother, which didn't really ring true for a respectable middle aged senior small town policeman, even in the early 70s hangover from the period of free love, when this was originally written.
There are actually two child abductions here, the solution to one (which happened before the main action of the book takes place) is very obvious once you've met the perpetrator - who doesn't feature at all for a large chunk of the book. The solution to the main abduction crisis is frankly risible but I won't spoil the plot for readers by saying what it is.
We are also supposed to believe in a sudden 180 degree change in Mike's feelings for another character which occurs on the very last page of the book.

well written, but not credible in places, which ultimately rather ruined it for me. If the other ones in the series are no better I'm surprised she's had such a slong and successful career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Feb. 2015
Great story as usual.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so intriguing!, 28 May 2013
Mr. Bmjones - See all my reviews
I have not yet got Ruth Rendell into my blood steam, I shall have to sample a few more before I'm captivated.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 2 April 2015
OK

No More Dying Then: (A Wexford Case)
No More Dying Then: (A Wexford Case) by Ruth Rendell (Paperback - 1 Oct. 2009)