5.0 out of 5 stars Spitfire Girls
I much enjoyed this book. As a former holder of a PPL (private pilot's licence) I had the privilege of meeting some of the amazing lady pilots upon whom the stories are based, and I am aware that the author interviewed as many of them as she could. The book is based on fact and is very exciting. I thoroughly recommend it.
Published 19 months ago by Stroma

3.0 out of 5 stars SPITFIRE GIRLS by CAROL GOULD
Enjoyable but "over wordy" compared to books written by the original A.T.A. (Air Transport Auxiliary) women, whos pages left me wanting more. Not a book that you cannot put down and I would not read it again. However this is just my opinion and others who know Carol Goulds work may like it because its written by her. A facinating subject for anyone researching WWII.
Published on 24 Jan 2010 by Juliana Penn

3.0 out of 5 stars SPITFIRE GIRLS by CAROL GOULD, 24 Jan 2010

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, what a load of old cobblers!, 6 Sep 2010
This review is from: Spitfire Girls (Mass Market Paperback)
I picked up this book because I thought it was a great topic for fiction, but as the author apparently knows absolutely zip about flying she really isn't ever going to do it justice. The book opens with a ludicrous incident in which a female pilot has a mid-air collision with a male pilot who has (apparently) got too close while trying to get a better look: this is represented as a practically daily occurrence. Even a really limited amount of research (or a bit of common sense, really) would have told the author that getting close enough to another plane to even hazard a guess at the sex of the pilot is pretty suicidal, and that for both pilots to survive a mid-air is a miracle, let alone for both of them to fly away unscathed. The book doesn't get any better: the author just isn't bothered about technical accuracy (anything will do, apparently!) while the characters behave in completely bizarre and unlikely ways, so unfortunately the story is no way good enough to transcend its cavalier attitude to mere facts.
My recommendation: don't waste your time with this.
Dave Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Spitfire Girls, 31 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Spitfire Girls, 28 Jan 2013
H. P. Tokins "Critic Tokes" (Lincoln UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spitfire Girls (Mass Market Paperback)
My wife found this a very enjoyable read where she learnt so much more about those very brave girl aircraft ferry pilots. To take to the skies in wartime in unarmed and without communications in any aircraft type was very brave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spirited girls, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Spitfire Girls (Kindle Edition)
I found this book brilliant mixing fact into a story that keeps you hooked till the end opening your eyes to the reality of women pilots in the war and the reality of captured men and women.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this book, 3 Jan 2012
This review is from: Spitfire Girls (Mass Market Paperback)
Don't buy this book if you know anything about flying. I was given it as a present because I fly and am inspired by the women of the ATA. Unfortunately I was disappointed. I think the cover photo is misleading, it makes the book look as if it is a factual account of the ATA, instead the author appears to have read maybe one or two books on the subject and tried to write a bonkbuster around it. The few flying scenes are wildly inaccurate and have obviously been written by someone who has not the slightest idea about flying. I am not sure who the book is aimed at, certainly not pilots male or female. In fact in my view it is an insult to the ATA and I am sure that, the professional women that they were, they would have been insulted to be associated with this work of fantasy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Historical Inaccuracies Abound, 4 July 2010
This review is from: Spitfire Girls (Mass Market Paperback)
I, too, picked up this book at the library expecting it to be narrative nonfiction. It is so fictional that it is riddled with inaccuracies--and I'm only on page 126! Neither BOAC nor BA (both of which are mentioned in 1937) were around in that year. The WAAF, who were not yet formed, are also mentioned. The heroine is wearing nylon stockings, which were introduced in 1938. The American heroine is bribing English people with Hershey bars and US cigarettes, in 1937. I'll struggle on with it, if only to add to the list of blunders. Will I make it to page 612? Doubtful!

1.0 out of 5 stars not what i expected., 13 Jan 2010
This review is from: Spitfire Girls (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this book, as the other reviewer did, expecting a historical, factual account of WW2 female pilots and was extremely disappointed to find out this was a work of fiction. I realise this is my fault for not doing more research to find out what genre I was buying but think that it should be made very clear that this is a fictional book and, also in agreement with the other reviewer , not one of the greatest.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Spitfire Girls (Kindle Edition)
I just didn't like the way the author used language in this book and found it had to read . Normally I can't put books down once started but this is the first book in years I have put down after the first 3 chapters and doubt I'll return to it .

1.0 out of 5 stars Pulp fiction, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Spitfire Girls (Mass Market Paperback)
I look after the books I purchase and hate to even crease the spine, but I threw this one away after reading it. The writing style was dreadful, the characterisations awful (I wonder what Pauline Gower would have made of the character based on her?) and the factual inaccuracies glaring. A 4 engined Wellington? ATA delivering Lancasters in 1941? I hated it from the beginning but read it to the end to give it a chance. It never improved.

Spitfire Girls
Spitfire Girls by Carol Gould (Mass Market Paperback - 21 May 2009)
7.02