5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing plot ...
Published on 26 Jun. 2005 by Ms. L. Atkinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont Bother
Published on 20 Nov. 2011 by Tegan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont Bother, 20 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Obsession (Paperback)
I have read previous works of Susan Lewis and enjoyed them, this was probably the worst book i have read by this author. That was a weeks worth of reading I will never get back, complete waste of time and effort. I did not give up on this book as I was hoping it might get better but it never really did. Probably the worst one of Lewis's books I have ever read. I don't think the story was well written, and in parts it was awful and cringworthy. I kept trying to get into this book and every time i did so one of the characters would do or say something that would completely put me off them.

The characters in this story were completely unlikeable and hard to relate to and the story its self was just odd. It was very much written from the point of view of someone who had no knowledge in the subject she was writing about and it just made the overall story unlikable. And the ending was truly awful and creepy to the point I mostly skimmed the last few chapters. The whole plot was also predictable and I was willing her to supprise me or to improve but it never did. Very disappointed in the book.
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing plot ..., 26 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Obsession (Paperback)
This book had the most unexpected plot that unfolded slowly before you, never allowing you to guess or asume what would happen next for you surely would be wrong and things would take another twist or turn. The bad character in this book was a surprising one that seemed to be a little unrealistic in my opinion and yet it was quite plausible at the same time. This novel took me on a journey i don't regret going on and had me from one minute swooning over the charm of the succesful love interest to frustration and confusion and even rage. I never failed to be carried by this book without even trying as it reached me right where it hurt with little effort. A page turner that i would not say is her best book but definatly is one you have got to read and still deserves five stars due to the unique and extrodianry way it is delivered to the reader, never allowing me to put the book down despite my reservations about the leading evil character.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Obsession (Mass Market Paperback)
Susan Lewis, what can I say. If you have never read any of her books, why not? Since I discoverd Susan Lewis about 5 years ago she has now become one of my favorite easy reading authors. Please, please Susan write some more.

2.0 out of 5 stars If I read about nipples once I read about them 100 times, 26 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Obsession (Paperback)
The first novel by this author I had read. Too much sex - which was actually quite tedious to read (I skipped whole pages looking for the story to resume again). As another reviewer said it was very coarse and unnecessarily explicit when describing abuse. Not my kind of thing I'm afraid, which is a shame because I loved the psychological crime thriller parts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusting, confusing and finally boring!!!!, 14 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Obsession (Paperback)
It's a long time since I wrote a review on Amazon, since I have no time for it these days.

However, after having read this book I felt I had to say something. Lately I have read a lot of Susan Lewis' books and enjoyed many of them, especially in the beginning. If that is because I accidently picked good ones (for me), I don't know, but there must have been some difference between those first ones and the two latest. Before "Obsession" I read "Stolen Beginnings" and gave up after about two thirds and peeked at the end.
As I started "Obsession", it seemed very good in the beginning, in fact approximately a fourth into the book. Then it was an enjoyable, interesting story with the potential of being a great read all through.

Oh no. In all Susan Lewis' books there is quite a bit of sex, which is ok as long as it's a necessary part of the story. But as in "Stolen Beginnings", also in "Obsession" it started to become quite a bit more than what seemed necessary and it was kinky and very detailed stuff. I'm no prude, but when in the end everybody seem to make love with everybody, not seldom three and four people at the time... Well, it was also often brutal and ended up in very ugly scenes. I understand that this ugliness was necessary in order to explain the mental state of several main characters in the book. But still. In the end I felt the whole story unbelievable and horrible. It also took a long time and lots of dialogue and details to reach the solving of the puzzle. Anyone would know there was something special and awful at the end of this but it took forever to get there and the author drags the reader through an endless number of disgusting dialogue and kinky sex.

I gave up almost half way through the book. Just skimmed through the rest and peeked at the end, where it all got more or less normal again.

On top of everything the book is actually a real fairytale story and very much like "Stolen Beginnings" with basically the same ingredients.

I ordered several S. Lewis books in one bulk, so still have some left. I can only hope these will be more like the first ones I read. However, I have ordered several other authors now since I need something different. And in future I shall remember to look at reviews before buying any more by Susan Lewis.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared!, 2 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Obsession (Paperback)
I love Susan Lewis, however I found this book disturbing at times and feel it should come with a warning. It contains vivid descriptions of abuse and incest, which I wasn't expecting, and would not have chosen to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love, loneliness and living it up..., 1 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Obsession (Paperback)
Susan Lewis has a talent of being able to make the reader so involved that your emotions are in the palm of her hand (or the nib of her pen). One minute my fists were clenched with rage, my jaw tight with frustration, then magically my hearts melting and i'm smiling like a love-struck teenager.
The characters do seem to make some unrealistically brainless choices but you can't help but love them. 'Obsession' deals with the issues of love, pain, loss and addiction. The latter being quite appropriate as i had many a late night reading until my eyes simply couldn't open anymore. The language and writing style were slightly amateurish and repetitive at first but this improved rapidly into a captivating and descriptive style.
If you are looking for a compelling book with interesting if not complicated characters and more twists than a packet of twistees, then this is the one for you. Just as a warning though - this book is not for the lighthearted, you will be confronted with a number of sexual and sometimes disturbing issues... enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 1 Feb. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Obsession (Mass Market Paperback)
I have only read a couple of Susan Lewis's books and now an avid fan! This was excellent. Couldn't put it down. You are drawn into the characters of Corrie and Luke and are always waiting to see what happens next. Susan Lewis definitely keeps you guessing. Definitely buy it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 23 Feb. 2013
KK "reader" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Obsession (Paperback)
This is the first book of Susan Lewis's that I've read and I won't be reading any more of her's. This book started off well with a plausible beginning for Corrie's situation and held my interest until about a quarter of the way through. The way Corrie was treated at her new job seemed to lack any realism - I think I should have given up reading it them. The rest of the book continued to be unbelievable, revolting, boring and with far too many conversations which were totally unnecessary and achieved nothing. This is the worst book I have read for a long while.

4.0 out of 5 stars another excellent read from susan lewis, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Obsession (Paperback)
I am a fan of Susan Lewis, i find her books to be of a extremely high quality and are able to keep the readers interested.
This book starts off in a quiet village with a mother and daughter facing a dfficult time ( i wont give more info so not to spoil the book). The book then continues to lead characters on a path of finding ones identity, living out their dreams and committing to follow her own mind. But like everything things are not always simple and this book definately is not simple.

The story has a very dark and sinister side when you meet some of the characters, again i dont want to reveal to much so not to ruin it for future readers, but i will say the situations that arise in this story are very strong and a little disturbing but the y have been written so well, you feel alot of emotions from reading this book, including happiness, remorse, confusion, terror and others.

The plot to this story is excellent i cant give enough praise for the fantastic writing. This is deffinately a book for anyone who likes books that keep you gripped, people who like some thing other than the norm!!

I read this bookin 3 days and would highly reccommend to all, i have already reccommended this to severalpeople already and they too agree once you get in the story you are so intrigued.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Obsession
Obsession by Susan Lewis (Paperback - 2 July 2009)