5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, had to read it in one sitting!
Published on 7 April 2009 by Ms. L. J. Oliver

3.0 out of 5 stars Mysteries revealed
I enjoyed this book but wasn't one of my favs. Melody is a strong main character. The story uncovers her interesting past after she is hypnotised. Jewell's writing style is easy to read and the plot isn't short of twists and turns. It's worth a read.

I like the book moving from past to present. It left you wanting to blast through the chapters to tie up the...
Published on 27 May 2012 by Lxy Flippa

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, had to read it in one sitting!, 7 April 2009
Ms. L. J. Oliver "lisa_joli" (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this on a whim for my holidays. I started it last night and will have to buy another book for my holiday as I've finished it already! It was a great read. I love Lisa Jewell's style of writing, she is very sincere without being overly sentimental and creates very believable and likeable characters. I especially enjoyed the way she portrayed the sibling relationships which were incredibly moving. Whilst the plot was far fetched, it still maintained believability - if that isn't too much of a contradiction - and I think that was mainly down to her skill in portraying the main character.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth about Lisa Jewell - she's great!, 18 April 2010
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Truth About Melody Browne (Paperback)
I've been trying to wean myself off of reading 'chick lit' but I think that authors such as Lisa Jewell and Marian Keyes are a cut above the rest, especially as Adele Parks' last two books have been a little under par. Anyway, I digress, the book's plot centres around school dinner lady and single mum, the titular Melody, who lives a fairly quiet existence in a council flat in Covent Garden with her soon-to-turn 18 son, Ed. Melody has no memory of her life prior to a fire which occured when she was 9 years of age, however a date and a visit to a stage hypnotist changes all that when Melody beins to piece together the fragments of her past.

I took this book away with me on a weekend break and I was hooked, which is pretty rare these days! It was written to beautifully and the text flowed nicely. The characters were extremely believable and well crafted. I really admire the way that Jewell is able to deal with difficult, taboo or somewhat challenging topics with consummate ease, as she ably demonstrated in her previous novel 'One Hit Wonder'. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good read and please don't be put off by any fluffy 'chick lit' preconceptions!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this!, 26 May 2009
I love Lisa Jewell's books so I was so excited when I heard that she had a new one coming out this year. I finally got round to reading it this weekend and it was fantastic. The premise of the book is quite simple really; Melody Browne's house burnt down when she was just nine years old, taking all of her possessions but also all of her memories before the age of nine. We meet Melody Browne when she is in her early thirties; she's a single mum living in Covent Garden, just about to celebrate her son's 18th birthday. We learn that she left home at 15 as her parents were not too impressed with her pregnancy and she has not seen them since then. In just the first few chapters, Melody has a chance encounter with a very lovely man on the bus and is persuaded to go on her first date in years. Ben takes her to see the famous hypnotist, Julius Sardo who asks Melody to take part in his act, during which she falls and hits her head. When she comes round she feels different in some way and can remember small details from her childhood. This continues and she has to start piecing all these pieces together in order to find out who she was. We follow Melody Browne on her exciting journey; just as she gets answers to one question, more pop up in it's place.
I don't want to go into too much detail as it would be far too easy to give the plot away and I know that my lovely sister for one is still reading it! I will just say that Lisa Jewell has yet again written such a brilliant story. I instantly warmed to the character of Melody in the first few pages and wanted more than anything for her to find the answers that she needed to be happy. The book has a really good pace, I didn't want to put it down and I enjoyed every twist and turn that Lisa Jewell created.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner for Lisa Jewell, 3 April 2009
N. J. Jones (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Having loved Lisa Jewell's previous books, I approached this one with high expectations, and wasn't at all disappointed! I bought it yesterday, and finished it at 4am, yawning but satisfied!

It's an unusual story of a fragmented life, but skilfully written so that as the strands weave together, they bind you to the characters and leave you desperate for a happy ending... But to find out if you get one, you'll have to read the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful story from Lisa Jewell!, 7 Jan 2010
SJ SMART "Smartie" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Truth About Melody Browne (Paperback)
I generally read history books, in particular military history and science fiction, I do try to read very widely but I am probably not a sterotypical Lisa Jewell reader/fan, if one exists. However I love these books.

I remember Ralphs Party, Lisa's first book coming out and it getting a lot of attention in the press about how good it was so I bought it and like most people loved it. I have recommended it to everyone I know since. And since then I have bought every book as it came out, I have some doubts if the next one could be as good as the first or that it might get too soppy/girly, but each time I have been hooked and impressed and moved.

This latest book is no exception. I was lucky enough to go to a signing/talk by the author at Waterstones Notting Hill last year when this book first came out and many of the audience had read it already and were talking about it - most saying how they cried at the end. I remember thinking I wont! But I think I did when I got to the point they were discussing!

This is a great book, I was hooked. An interesting and moving novel about a girl who has forgotten everything of her first few years and this is the story of how and what she discovers - the truth about Melody Brown!

I have never described Lisa Jewell as "chick-lit" this is simply great literature. Go and buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read!, 25 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Truth About Melody Browne (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book and I couldn't put in down. I can see why people would think the plot is far fetched and the one critisism I have is that the story was tied up a bit too quickly and neatly towards the end. However, the vivid characters make it so believable and I was rooting for Melody from page one. This book ripped my heart out - I cried several times. There are some really emotional moments. Ultimately, it was such a lovely story, just beautiful. Beautifully written, original and imaginative . It will stay with me for a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars She never lets me down, 26 April 2009
Denise4891 (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Based on her book covers, it would be easy to dismiss Lisa Jewell as a fluffy chick-lit writer but she's much more than that. I've read all her books now and have loved every one. She writes about real people with real jobs (Melody is a dinner lady, not a glamorous media executive) and often her books are set in the 1980s and 90s and her characters are going through the same things I went through at that time.

The story of Melody's search for the truth about her childhood might sound a bit far-fetched at first, but really it's just the story of a little girl who has a very rocky start in life and tries to blank things out as a way of dealing with the trauma. There are some very interesting characters in the book and the story is heartwarming without being corny or sickly-sweet. I finished it in bed this morning and felt quite emotional at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars another goodie, 20 April 2009
Amanda J. Volley (derby) - See all my reviews
I love Lisa Jewell's writing...i came at this book from the back of a traditional lightweight romance; boy meets girl, problems/problems, problems resolved, happy ending...it was just so pat and dry. But this boy meets girl story is so different. There is romance but it's on hold until the girl, melody, discovers herself - big time. Unlocking memories which have been too terrible to contemplate until her own son is capable of living his own independent life. It's the sort of onion skin reveal which has you at once picking this book up at every given opportunity and, on the other, trying to slow your pace to make it last. It didn't for me....I managed two nights. see how you do...highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking Story !!, 11 April 2009
The Truth About Melody Browne

When I read the first chapter of this book I wasnt that impressed, but I thought I'd give it a go and it was just absolutely brilliant, I read it within 48 hours until the small hours, then I went back and read the first chapter again. Another excellent story from Lisa Jewell.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly worthwhile read from Lisa Jewell, 13 May 2009
Having read all of Lisa Jewell's other books and thoroughly enjoyed all of them, especially 31 Dream Street and Ralph's Party, i wasnt sure about this next book from Jewell. The Truth about Melody Browne and the plot differs slighly from her ususal style of relationships and the empahsis moves more towards familial relationships. However this book truly does not disappoint in the least and any concerns were quickly disolved after reading the first page!

It is such a creative and beautifully woven story that you get caught up with with such involvement i guarantee you will be racing to see the outcome of the story as fast as possible!

As a huge fan of Jewell's other novels i can add this to the list of her literary successes and will be a firm favourite of mine. i can definitely recommend to any other of her fans or indeed anyone trying her for the first time. Along with this book i purchased Jenny Colgan's new title, Diamonds are a girls Best friend which was equally fantastic and enjoyable.

The Truth About Melody Browne
The Truth About Melody Browne by Lisa Jewell (Paperback - 7 Jan 2010)