Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 April 2010
Graham Hancock? Yeah I've got all of his records!

Graham Hancock started out as a travel journalist and then moved into historical sleuthing which is when I first came across his work (The Sign and the Seal: Quest for the Lost Ark of the Covenant,Fingerprints of the Gods: The Quest Continues (New Updated Edition)). What I loved about his stuff was that he was obviously very passionate and enthusiastic about his research and that came across completely in his writing to such an extent, that even potentially mundane topics such as the age of the pyramids or detailed descriptions about astrological precession became exciting page turners!

For me, some of his more recent work, whilst still excellent seemed to have lost a little oomph. Now, with Entangled, I was aware that he writing a fiction book to get across ideas that would attract too much criticism and ridicule if they were presented as fact. I'll be honest, I was expecting something similar to The Celestine Prophecy or The Da Vinci Code, ie, a book desperate to get ideas across with a superficial plot and basic prose to carry these ideas along - not that I am knocking these books, I have enjoyed them and will continue to recommend them to others.

Entangled has, without doubt, surpassed all of my expectations. It is very well written, there is a depth to the main characters, the plot flows and most importantly, that spark, that oomph is back.

There is science and pseudo-science involved in the story, but it is fitted in on the whole as part of the story, and there was only one (short) point in the book when I felt it nearly slipped into lecture mode.

This book reads like a thriller. Each chapter is told from the viewpoint of either Ria or Leoni. It is fast paced, exciting and features lots of battle scenes which in some ways you don't even notice as you find yourself trying to read one more chapter to find out what happens next!

Hancock does not shy away from either using industrial language when appropriate or inserting the gory details of the fights, and this is a credit. Too much entertainment nowadays tones down both violence and language in an attempt to gain wider audiences. Hancock has a story to tell, and tell it he does, superbly.

My only real criticism is the fact that this book whilst it can be read and enjoyed in isolation, is the first in a series. How many books will form the series, I don't know. There's no mention of it on the cover nor in any of the (limited) blurb that I have read. If I had known, in all likelihood, I wouldn't have started this until the series was complete, but that's just me.

5 stars, and highly recommended.
44 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 May 2010
Graham Hancock is a best selling author of numerous non-fiction books investigating the premise of a lost or forgotten civilisation, or lost or forgotten knowledge of our ancient ancestors. "Entangled" is a fictional book that is inspired by his investigations during his research for his book "Supernatural".

The story premise is intriguing, and there are some great ideas at the foundation of it all, however the execution of the narrative often distracts from the overall story. Set in two time periods, the author for the most part alternates chapter by chapter between the two periods, with a handful of exceptions where one time period in a chapter is followed immediately by a second chapter set in the same time period. With each chapter being reasonably short (average of 4-5 pages), this has the effect of disrupting the momentum of the story. I appreciate that this may have been necessary in certain parts, but its use is a little over-done in my opinion, and is overly disruptive to the narrative. Just as you are settling down with one protagonist in one time, you are dislocated from that world to re-familiarise yourself with the other protagonist in the other time. There also felt like there was little to make me want to read the next chapter, such as mini-cliff-hangers for example. Whilst others found the book un-put-downable, I had trouble picking it back up at times.

I felt the characterisation of the protagonists were lacking in dimension, with secondary characters being killed off too readily when it seemed they had served their purpose for the story. I also found that the modern age characters a little unrealistic, but the stone-age characters better scripted. The author uses strong adult language in many instances which again I though detracted from the story. I am in no way a prude, but the insertion of such language felt artificial and shoe-horned in, and at times unnecessary.

Overall, it is not a bad read, considering that this is the first novel from a non-fiction author. The strength of the underlying story carries the book. Due to the structure of the book, I found the first hundred pages a bit of a slog, and had difficultly getting into the book. Happily I persevered and the narrative does strengthen through the middle of the book, but falls away again towards the end. Based upon this, I would give the story premise and ideas five stars, but the execution of the story only three stars. Had the narrative remained as it did through the middle of the book to the end, I would have rated this four stars.

As you will see, others have raved about this book, and if you buy it, you may too. It is the first in series (which you will realise by the ending), and I hope the author improves the narative for the second instalment, and gives the story the vehicle it deserves.
on 24 January 2014
I thought there would be far more spiritualism in this book. The concept is compelling, but the violence is relentless and not what I was expecting from hearing the author talk about his book on the radio.

Moreover, it feels as though the author is trying to shock me at every available level, by describing the consistency, smell & noise of someone defecating for example (he uses much ruder words.)

The nastiness is not balanced by any great attention to anything good or beautiful, and both female heroines display anger, blood-lust, and a thirst for revenge. The spiritualism of the Neanderthals is given a minor role - they are little more than shadows in the background & it was hard to remember which was which. We hardly meet the "blue woman" either, or experience her realm. All the characters are weakly drawn.

This book appears to be written for the kind of people enjoy watching very violent fast-moving films, although of course no movie would ever be permitted to show the extent of torture and execution detailed here (and there is great detail.)
on 12 April 2010
I first met Graham Hancock in Cairo. I remember a small group of us, includng Robert Temple, met very early one morning to visit the Gizeh plateau and the pyramids before they were opened up to the tourists. While Graham was talking to the guards Michael Jackson and his entourage turned up, also wanting to be let in. Michael Jackson's group wasn't admitted, but we were! I take this as a small token of Graham Hancock's global role and importance in the field of 'alternative history' - and also a shift in consciousness, a growing sense that we have much to learn from ancient wisdom.

Since then Graham and I have become firm friends. One of the things I have always admired about him as a writer has been his ability to use the techniques of fiction - suspense, a highly charged sense of pace, the gradual feeding of clues leading to a dramatic revelation - to non-fiction. This is why his books have sold millions. He knows how to lead the reader through sometimes quite difficult areas of thought at a terrific pace, leaving the reader hungry for more.

So what's intriguing and new about Entangled is that he's now applying these fictional techniques... to fiction. This is an epic story interweaving two narratives, one following an attempt to section a young woman today - a bit of a Paris Hilton character - and the other about a young woman living at the time that the Neanderthals were an endangered species. Their stories become entangled because they are able to intervene to help each other by entering an alternative state of consciousness - either by using drugs or by religious ceremony. In this alternative state they arrive at an alternative reality. It is real at least in the sense that, although they might be said to be hallucinating, they are able to see, hear and touch the same things. They also both encounter an angel-like creature, sent to help those with special work to do, and one of the most fightening villains ever to emerge from the printed page.

What's doubly intriguing is that I know from his last book - Supernatural - that Graham Hancock has himself entered this alternative reality on many occasions and is firmly convinced of its reality. I also happen to know that the angel-like creature and villain are said in esoteric tradition to be destined to play crucial, conflicting parts in the history of our times.

Mark BoothThe Secret History of the World
on 3 December 2012
I have found it obsessively violent, and not sure what enjoyment the author gets writing that sort of stuff. It would be OK in small contrasting episodes, but goes on and on. Not the way to make a point.
on 16 May 2010
This book is so engaging that I am compelled to write a review. I struggle with how to write my assessment -this book is so thought provoking that you find yourself wanting to tell Graham's story. I will resist this temptation and tell you what I know and feel about this piece of work. It is truly a marvelous work of fiction - totally out of character for what Graham has written in the past - but much appreciated!

I have been an avid reader of Graham Hancock's research since he published "Fingerprints of the Gods" in 1995. Following his writing career and ideas, I have enjoyed "The Sign and the Seal", "Keeper of Genesis", "The Mar's Mystery", "Heaven's Mirror", Underworld: The Mysterious Origins of Civilizations", "Talisman - The Sacred Cities and The Secret Faith", "Lords of Poverty", and "Supernatural". I am an engineer and scientist, and I feel that Graham has opened my eyes to many possibilities not taught in schools and are contrary to conventional wisdom. Through his many writings, he has presented plausible theories that answer many questions that Academia has not been able to do satisfactorily. Graham is a solid researcher, thus I was somewhat skeptical when I saw that he published a Fantasy novel. As I read "Entangled", I soon realized his message!

Graham is very much a visionary. He has consistently been able to look at evidence, come to solid conclusions, correlate new information into his theories from what appears to be unrelated events, and create plausible scenarios that challenge conventional wisdom. Being attacked by Academia with each book he published, Graham found it necessary to include large bodies of evidence to support his ideas and arguments within each chapter.

As years went by, Graham accumulated an enormous vault of information and theories (trapped between the volumes of the many books he wrote), gained an unusual prospective from his research, and evolved within his belief system. After having an unusual, life-changing experience, Graham was driven to tie his life's work together and express what he has learned in terms of a story (as myths were used to pass knowledge from past to present). By writing what he has learned, what he believes, and what he wanted to tell the world as a novel, there could be no challenged by Academia or non-believers. His answer is simply, "I wrote a fantasy". Thus, Graham Hancock wrote and published "Entangled".

While reading "Entangled" my mind was constantly recalling the many facts, suggestions, and pieces of evidence imbedded in many of his previous books. I enjoyed how he ties so many unique tidbits together and explains their relationships in terms of this fantasy. I was easily engrossed in the story by the intermingling of relationships, and the twists of fate. I many times wondered if it couldn't be true?

I highly recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in where mankind and human consciousness may have come from. The many thoughts put forward suggesting how the universe might be woven to tie us all together intrigues me. This is a delightful work of fiction with many blends of history, science, reality, culture, and interactions within dream worlds. It is filled with action and drama that will keep you reading with undertones of links to our pasts.

Enjoy...
on 8 May 2013
Ridiculously bloodthirsty. Seemingly obsessed with castration, and many other horrific acts. I think this takes away from the general storyline. The idea that Neanderthals had strengths that Cro-Magnons did not have is an interesting one. Unfortunately, as becomes apparent near the end, the book does not finish off the main storylines, but leaves them open for a sequel. I think the descriptions of so many nasty wounds and horrific deaths would make me refuse to read another novel of this type. I think I also, perhaps foolishly, expected this to have more of a science fiction background. This is as near to pure fantasy as I have probably ever read - and do not intend to do so again. All in all, perhaps I was a little disappointed. There were a few quite stilted paragraphs as well. I should say I loved Hancock's book on the search for the lost ark which has made me keen to visit Ethiopia one day.
on 12 March 2013
Phew, just finished reading this. Fast paced and had me wanting to keep on going till the end. Except the end is not the end! (thanks to previous reviewers for the warning).

I was drawn to the book - and not disappointed by - the underlying ideas & philosophy. Entangled puts two girls as the protagonists, living in different time and space, connecting through a spirit world. However, be warned, it is an endless, gruesome, gory battle from start to finish; with evil being evil in repeated horrible and violent ways. Graham do you really think the only way to triumph over evil is fighting to the death? At least give us a parallel story line woven in that nourishes and gives hope, something based on love, creativity and beauty, please.
on 10 February 2015
I very much enjoyed the first half of this book: the story is original, and I liked both protagonists although some of the dialogue sounded a bit too modern for the Stone Age. I liked the way the Neanderthals could communicate thoughts and pictures to each other (reminded me of the wolves in Twilight!). It's intriguing to think that if Neanderthals did have this ability and interbred with humans, as is thought, that some residue of this may be left in some people today, which would go a long way to explaining shamans, fortune-tellers and the like, that they really are mind-reading. Also the book is an interesting vehicle for some of Hancock's theories about parallel universes that are reachable in states of altered consciousness - I am aware that he has tried Ayauasca a few times. So there is plenty to ponder here although it rarely feels like him 'educating' the reader.

The gory passages started about half way through. At first I ploughed on, but I found myself skipping over them or trying not to take them in, which is no way to read a story. I read before bedtime, and had enjoyed my time each night engrossed in this book but then began to get nightmares - coincidence maybe. But the violence seemed gratuitous, and way too sadistic for an author of Hancock's calibre, and the descriptions of gore and fighting seemed endless to the point of tedium. Since reading creates pictures in the readers' minds it felt like watching a particularly violent movie with continuous fight scenes. With a film like that I'll lose interest, and that's what happened to me here. Maybe it's a girl thing, but I was interested in whether the two female main characters found love with their respective "co-stars", but ultimately, wasn't prepared to hang around to find out.
on 1 March 2013
Having heard Graham Hancock on radio shows and read Fingerprints of the Gods I am quite in the realms of where he is coming from with this novel. He said as much as he wanted to write and explore some things he believes but found it easier to put them into a novel rather than a factual book with sources.

I firstly thought I would hate Leoni and some of the other characters, however they became pretty good characters as the story progressed. Although they do suffer from lack of depth and other characters and sub plots are simply forgotten and ignored, such as Leonis "parents" and their "group". In-fact the whole modern era of the book is its weaker half suffering from lack of depth of characters and not enough character building or relationships between them.

Rias parts are much more gripping painting a vivid account of the world through the eyes of 16 year old Ria a girl facing a terrible enemy in a barbaric world with allies who were once enemies and seen as savages.

The chapter structure is short and fast flowing with chapters being around 7 to 15 pages long this is because it is written so it is like 2 stories running parallel which connect to each-other and interconnect into a deeper story.

Now my major grips.. This would be in Mr Hancocks language.. the F word is said so many times a long with other words in ways that don't have any context at all, especially when it is in stone age times why would people say things like "What the F@@:!!?" He made Ria and Leoni both seem like immature teenage girls who would swear to get attention and seem cool. You could argue that Leoni fits that mould but her language is still out of context with reality, Ria and her prehistoric brethren it is just ridiculous to hear them speak like teenagers and it does take away from the writing in my opinion and seems downright stupid.

The worst thing about the book is its ending..if you can call it that.. The book ceases to wrap up in any way shape or form no threat is resolved no threads are tied the story is wide open! and there is no hinting at this being a series of books. Sometimes authors create clever endings which make you think and contruct your own ending based on what you read, this is not one of them.. It is simply a book which does not have an ending.

Despite the negative points it kept me reading and I enjoyed the book. It would of benefited with more pages an extra 100-200 and more character development and exploring of secondary characters and events and of course an ending.. here's hoping to a sequal.