Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 May 2011
This is a great book. It had everything that you could possibly ask for - rock stars, S&M, drugs, cults and it's set in Wales! The style is also really impressive - punchy and not a wasted word. Much to my wife's dismay, Howard Marks got me staying up late into the night as I followed the cleverly-worked plot. I'm genuinely already looking forward to the next one in the series. Good work fellah ... it was worth staying off the weed for a bit to get this out! Geraint
on 13 September 2013
I really wanted to like this, and got into it at first, but I found it confused and ultimately boring. Too long, really, and oddly lacking in humour - I say oddly because I've always found Marks so amusing and witty. Shame he doesn't bring more of that into his fiction.
on 24 May 2012
Being a Manics fan, I had to give this a go, as parts of the story are loosely based on the disappearance of Richey Edwards. I didn't have high hopes, but I really enjoyed this book, and read it very quickly. Will definitely look out for his other work.
on 21 February 2014
Bought for my daughter because of the location, and unaware of the notoriety of the author until more than halfway through. Quite enjoyed, and it would have definitely rated four stars had the ending been a bit less of a Boy's Own muddled incoherent chase at the end. I do find these super-woman high-kick previously damaged maverick cops a bit tedious, but have to admit they can make for a good story if nothing else. Not that there was much wrong with the writing of this.
on 28 May 2011
What sets this apart from current crime writing is that the author knows his world from the inside. A troubled young drug cop arrives back in Cardiff to find her former lover has OD'ed in murky circumstances. This sets in motion an investigation which covers some of the darkest recesses of human experience. Marks is known as good-natured stoner but he also has his dark side it seems. There is extreme sex, a cast of tough, believable characters and a whole lot of drugs naturally. The plot is cunningly constructed and I found it a highly addictive read though parts were unsettling and disturbing like the ending. This has the feel of a classic series in the making.
on 14 September 2013
This book has an excellent storyline to it, the characters are all very interesting especially the main one, a female leather clad kung fu fighting detective from the plod, who eventually gives in to a proper toke in the story. Then there's the ex copper who could have been howards biggest customer of fine hashish back in the day. Although the book is fiction, it touches on some very real subjects like drug addiction, bdsm, cults, sex, murder and howard describes them all in HD.
He tells a great tale and I cant wait to read the next book in the 1st of this trilogy.
on 9 July 2011
My father was an importer around the same time Howard Marks was - briefly and less successfully I'm sad to say - so I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the man. After the brilliance of Mr Nice I was excited to see Marks had written a crime novel and, maybe, my expectations were overly high.

This is a conventional stalking/serial killer novel, the kind of thing I don't usually read, not what I was expecting from someone with Marks' life experiences, but despite the hackneyed subject matter the book is excellent. Well written, believable characters and good dialogue. Nice to see a writer reflecting the commonplace nature of smoking dope too.

For anyone who enjoyed his biography this should be a worthwhile read.
on 30 March 2012
What an excellent book and from an author that can write with true authenticity and realism. Howard Marks knows this world inside out, and it shows - True crime writing genius. Five Stars!
on 21 June 2011
As a South Walian, living only twenty odd miles away from Mr Marks' Kenfig Hill, I really enjoyed "Mr Nice", but this was extremely disappointing. I could relate to many of the places mentioned in Cardiff and West Wales and enjoyed the racy start to the book but it just became too unbelievable. You could soon work out that Mr Marks' experiences in the "drug" world were there in the background with virtually every character being a "smoker", including the police!
It was impossible not to compare the "missing" rock star, Owen Face, who had supposedly "jumped" off the Severn Bridge with that of the real life Manic Street Preacher rocker Richey Edwards. But really, all this nonsense of Black Magic in the woods of Pembrokeshire was just over the top and the whole plot became farcical.
on 11 August 2013
This is dreadful. Don't be taken in by the relatively well written first few pages. I can say no more. Avoid at all costs.