Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 May 2013
I didn't find that this was a book that grabbed me instantly and it took me a while to get into. I think this was because I found the language used at times over complicated and almost excessively flowery. However this book was worth persevering with and ultimately well worth reading, interesting and informative. I felt that at the end of the book I had a far greater appreciation for this colourful and historical city and a greater understanding of Syrian society and history in general.
on 19 March 2010
An elegantly written and pleasantly discursive wandering around Damascus and its environs. A simple map of the region and the city would have been advantageous. It stimulates ones desire to revisit the country once again.
on 17 February 2009
I love to travel but lack of finance sometimes gets in the way. So I read Colin Thubron's stories. He is my favourite travel writer, but I would like more of the people he meets and less of the history. Because the history needs more vision. In spite of this I would recommend you travel his writings and enjoy..
Do not doubt his love of each country he visits.
I discovered so much more in his book on Jerusalem than I ever did on the rushed tour I did, which made me want to go back and spend more time there.
on 6 March 2010
This is and excellent start for anyone wanting to read further around the complex history of Damascus. Obviously very well researched and thoroughly readable.
However at times the scope of Damascus' effect on the rest of the Middle East can be underplayed or under-expained but then as the title suggests this book is purely about Damascus.
on 20 October 2015
Great writer -as always very interesting
on 5 August 2013
If you like wistful prose like that written by a teenager trying to write a novel, then you might enjoy this. Personally, the style grates so badly that I can't bear to see the English language tortured in this way. Every paragraph seems to contain some ham-fisted simile or other just for the sake of it. Clearly, this style works for some but it leaves me somewhere between eye-rolling, reading excerpts to the missus for comedy value and vomiting. If this doesn't put you off, then a lightly used secondhand copy is available...