Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 January 2013
Another exciting read from Arnaldur Indridason. It is so involving that it makes you shudder in places. A novel plot.
on 10 April 2014
Enjoyed this book very much. First I have read by this author and look forward to reading more. Ideal holiday book.
VINE VOICEon 7 November 2010
I found this book a little bit lacking in something for my taste. There were various unconnected threads running through which did not seem very relevant. The main case of Maria's death was quite unusual, but the general investigation going on - everything seemed a little obvious. I can see that many people enjoyed this book, but it was not for me, and would not make me rush out to buy any other of his books, quite the opposite in fact.
on 2 March 2015
I think the best book so far.....
on 25 November 2015
Good book for cold evenings
on 1 April 2011
I got a bit confused by the names in this book. Very difficult to remember all those Icelandic place names and the people's names - not even knowing which were male and which were female names... Quite confusing. The other problem I had was - how come a policeman doesn't have any work to do? Can he just go off and pursue his own line of inquiry without anyone asking him to do any actual proper work?? Odd.

However, if you can ignore these difficulties, the plot of this book is good. I don't know why the blurb on the cover describes it as 'chillingly creepy' because it really isn't at all. No: it's a cleverly constructed plot puzzle that comes together in a very interesting way. It was also very atmospheric and I enjoyed it a lot. I will certainly try more books by this author.
VINE VOICEon 4 November 2010
A very straight-forward case of suicide in a secluded lakeside holiday home...

Or is there more to it than that?

This is an extremely good crime novel, in which a major character is the author's Iceland as much as it it is the brooding and conflicted Detective Erlendur. Indridason is brilliant at plotting, pacing, atmospheric description and believable characterisation. Even the minor characters with walk on parts come vividly to life because Indridason cares about them as much as he does resolving crimes. This haunting novel is also aided by an excellent translation from the Icelandic by Victoria Cribb.

Recommended.
on 7 December 2015
Came with the above
on 26 February 2014
I just cannot understand some of the rave reviews for such a disappointing work. The dialogue plods along, the translation is awkward and stilted, the style ponderous, the plot predictable. Earlier, the author would at least alleviate the doom and gloom with some touches of humour but even these have disappeared. The only light relief came from an unintended moment of black comedy when one of the characters remarks of her friend, who has just committed suicide by hanging herself, that she had 'said she might hang around and wait for her'!!
on 7 December 2010
An interesting insight into life in Iceland, soemthing most of us know very little. The detective does not overpower the story and it rolls along at a pelasant place. I enjoyed the atmostphere and the everyday atmosphere of the mystery. Not a page turning murder, but a dectective story without swearing and violence. The writing style is great and I felt very involved with the characters.