Format: PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon 2 May 2013
I bought this book solely based on the cover. I'd never heard of the Meander and thought the idea fascinating. Jeremy takes us on a potted history tour of the river starting from its source all the way to the sea. Along the way we dip in and out (literally as well, the meander isn't much of a river) of the host of classical figures and events that took place on or around the river.

I had wanted a travel book about a guy paddling down a river, some history, a dash of nature, interesting places and characters, adventure and a river of some personality.

The book has all of that but I finished it oddly unsatisfied.

Probably because the river itself isn't much of a river any more, dammed, polluted and diverted, it doesn't work as a great backdrop.
on 10 September 2013
Jeremy Seal has written a corker of a tale (my best summer big read). I adore Turkey but wouldn't have the time, chance or language ability to trace such an ambitious route. What Mr Seal does is survey the history of Anatolia (tales of knights, crusaders, brigands, kings, queens, Mongols, Romans, Victorians and a much greater cast beside) from his kayak as he floats gently - and not so gently in places - towards the sea.

Thrills, spills and endless cups of tea show a side of modern Turkey that few of us will see. Nature, politics and humour are woven into the mix. Well done that man. I can also recommend A Fez of the Heart, Mr Seal's earlier and equally entertaining book. Now, that's a tale of a Turkey long gone, and I feel that this 2013 book will be the standard text for this current period too. Again, brilliant. Sit back and relax.
on 2 January 2013
I read Jeremy Seal's previous book so was pleased to get this. A really interesting mix of modern day travel and historic information. Provides an interesting view on the Turkey away from the well travelled tourist routes
on 23 August 2012
I have just finished reading Jeremy Seal's new book MEANDER and I loved it. It combines his own personal and very humorous adventure as he attempts to kayak down this river with some amazing historical stories, anecdotes and tales. This book is perfect for anyone with any interest in classical history, archaeology or just plain adventure. My favourite parts are when he recounts his meetings with local Turks - Seal has a fantastic eye for capturing detail and presents himself in a very self-effacing way. Anyone who is going to Turkey should read this - you start to realise what an amazing culture and history this country shares.
on 21 September 2013
I'm a big fan of both Turkey and Jeremy Seal so I was excited to read this book . However it has been rather hard work - not enough narrative drive and too meandering for my taste.
on 2 September 2013
I was bought this book ahead of a holiday in Turkey. A very interesting account of one man's journey down the river but intersperesed with a great historical commentary that takes you from ancient times to modern day Turkey providing a good understanding of the country's rich history. Excellent book.
on 11 August 2012
Having read a review of this book in The Guardian, I decided to purchase it for myself. I remember visiting this area of Turkey some thirty years ago and finding it totally beguiling so I wanted to see what Jeremy Seal thought of it. The book brought back many memories and made me consider revisiting the area in the future. As well as recounting his exploits trying to navigate the river from source to mouth, he frequently digresses to give accounts of ancient history relating to this area, which are fascinating. However, I found the maps, which are hand drawn, rather confusing. I feel it would have been better to have relied upon maps from a proper atlas. However, I realise that such things may not actually exist for this fairly remote area.
on 17 January 2016
I thought this book was great, I thoroughly enjoyed the history of the area, the journey down the river was less satisfying, but not all scenery is spectacular.
on 18 February 2015
If you've been there or you are going there, read this book. It will add enormously to your enjoyment
on 17 May 2015
Brilliantly evocative of the area both past and present