5.0 out of 5 stars Zen running, Zen writing
Haruki Murakami has run for his entire writing life, taking it up when he realised that the sedentary existence of a novelist was making him fat; he has eventually tackled more than twenty-five marathons, half-marathons aplenty, and even one gruelling 100 kilometre "ultra-marathon" whose odd spiritual benefits are described here in satisfying detail.

His simple...
Published on 10 Aug 2008 by emma who reads a lot

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting short memoir of the novelist as runner
This is a strange little book, novella length, half memoir and half meditation on the act of writing, using running as an extended metaphor. The title is an allusion to a Raymond Carver short story (Murakami is, among other things, the Japanese translator of Carver) and, like a Carver character, Murakami has a knack of addressing his real concerns indirectly in the act of...
Published on 19 Nov 2010 by Paul Bowes

‹ Previous | 111 12 13 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved this, 14 Mar 2014
Must have been difficult to write this, my mind is buzzing when I run but is completely blank afterwards. Very encouraging to read. Makes me want to run more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Those running shoes, 11 July 2014
Murikami speaks modestly, runs at a reasonable pace and portrays simple life's prides.
Physicality and creativity run side by side

1.0 out of 5 stars Being locked in a room with a marathon runner who won't shut up., 11 Jan 2011
I love running, but good god this book is a bore. I hope to read it so get back into running after a long injury.
But this is just navel-gazing wittering. If you want to try something better, try Feet in the Clouds.

5.0 out of 5 stars What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, 18 Nov 2009
This review is from: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (Paperback)
I loved the book - so poetic - so needed for a woman 50+ just starting to run - and enjoying it, with it's up and downs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously?, 22 Nov 2014
This review is from: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (Paperback)
Self indulgent drivel. Read books that entertain and run if you want but don't waste your time reading this garbage

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and humble, 12 Sep 2008
Mr. M. M. Bosano "Marcus" (Cheltenham, England) - See all my reviews
I have just finished reading this book and have to say that i thought it was an excellent read. I am not a fan of Murakami's novels (i abandoned the Wind Up Bird Chronicle half way through) but this has whetted my apetite to perhaps try another.

This book was written by a genuine running enthusiast and fan. He comes across as no different to any runner that i have encountered and this is why the book works. He expresses the thoughts and feelings that most runners will be familiar with, the insecurities around training, the nerves when competing and the frustration with injuries.

I have been running for years and found this both inspiring and motivational. It is written with a light touch and does not seem to take itself to serious which lends it a charm.

I'd recommend this book to any runner!

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprised people love this book, 13 Aug 2009
evilbendyone (battersea, london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (Paperback)
Coming from a perspective of a marathon runner who has never heard of or read any of Murakami's novels, I found this book was not quite what I expected or wanted. It was very introspective and read like a brooding journal. As I know nothing of the author (and therefore care little about him), some of the book was a little dull and even a bit repetitive. Having said that the book is likeable enough and many of his musings are accurate insights, but in the end it falls somewhere between a memoir not containing enough detail to be intriguing and a meditation on the philosophy of running. If you do not like running and have not read Murakami's books I would say it is not worth bothering with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Item not as described, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (Paperback)
The book arrived promptly, however it was not "new" : the pages were yellow-ed, the cover marked and it smelt musty. This all would have been fine if I hadn't been expecting a new book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ah....Interesting....!, 26 Dec 2011
This review is from: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (Paperback)
I was caught by the title and having run in the past my imagination (and expectation) were fired. What I found was an interesting walk through areas of the author's life, experience and inspirations.

I like to think of the book as a reflection of the way our minds wander when we have time to ourselves when we're alone with our thoughts, to determine our direction, prepare for future times and come to terms with our issues.

Understated, yet good book to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Narcissistic twaddle, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (Paperback)
I bought this book because I love to run. Thinking it might give me something to think about on a long run, I eagerly started reading. However, it didn't take long before I was getting frustrated by the number of times the author tells us that he is a writer...I know that already, I'm reading one of his books! What he talks about when he talks about running is...himself. I found it somewhat annoying at the way he constantly kept blowing his own trumpet and at the same time telling us nothing. In the end this book became a chore to read. Buy "Ultra Marathon Man" by Dean Karnazes which is a fantastic book and beautifully written.

‹ Previous | 111 12 13 | Next ›

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami (Paperback - 2 April 2009)