5.0 out of 5 stars Love Letters
This very readable literary pun resonates with references to the publishing industry which has given it life whilst hero and heroine play out the twists and turns that reach their anticipated romantically satisfying conclusion.
Published 3 months ago by SineNomine

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful
Published on 14 Jun 2010 by E. Janssen

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 14 Jun 2010
E. Janssen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Letters (Hardcover)
So Laura breaks into Dermot's house, which is - of course - a tip and being unable to wake him, she finds nothing better to do than clean his kitchen and his bathroom, wash his clothes, hoover the living room and do his shopping. Then for a split second she worries whether she would now be thrown out of some feminist club for doing so - I don't think she'd ever get in if she tried. How truly truly awful and full of cliches. But worse than the cliches is the language - ever character in the book talks as though they are 55 and live in the country. None of them have any personality but they all get on like a house on fire, so we are told. The two romantic novelists who feature are of course the most lovely ladies you could ever meet whilst everyone who writes anything else is a baddy. How ironic also that Katie Fford bangs out about poor writing and flat characters in a book full of exactly that. If the writing was a bit better, then the attitudes promoted in this book would be really arrogant and offensive - this way it's just embarrasing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Embarrassingly weak, 8 Jun 2010
This review is from: Love Letters (Paperback)
Where to start with this book? Katie Fforde may have made her name with undemanding chick-lit on the light and fluffy side, but sadly, 'Love Letters' is about as light and fluffy as a suet pudding. Her heroine is such a drip - repeatedly insisting that she's too terrified and useless to do...well, just about anything, really - that it's a miracle she's not trembling in a corner on a full-time basis, while her wild-Irish-writer hero is a check-list of cliches (drop-dead gorgeous, full of blarney, always up for 'the crack', etc etc). Yet the permanently-quaking Laura is mysteriously capable of running a literature festival, co-hosting a writing course and bringing her infallible intellectual judgement to bear on manuscripts submitted by aspiring writers. The plot-device used to ensure that boy-loses-girl (so they can ultimately be reunited) is laughably feeble. And as for the insight it offers into the world of authors and writing...well, several times we're smugly told that only the very best can ever hope to be published - which is a bit rich given the quality of the writing and editing on display here. Sorry to be harsh, but as Katie so often reminds us, it's a cut-throat world out there.

1.0 out of 5 stars What's happened to Katie Fforde?..........., 13 April 2010
This review is from: Love Letters (Paperback)
I cannot in all honesty believe that reviewers on this site have given this book four and five stars. Brilliant? Fantastic read? I don't think so, not by a long shot. I have read most of the author's books and always found them enjoyable, with sassy heroines, who could give as good as they got. Her last book, Wedding Season, was a disappointment, a break away from her norm, but this one.........I truly struggled to turn pages. To tell the truth, I didn't particularly care, as the reader can see what's happening from page one. The characters are not padded out in any way, and the two main players, Laura and Dermot, don't seem to have any chemistry or spark between them whatsoever. We are told repeatedly that Laura is shy, retiring, a bookworm, a virgin, who then decides at the drop of a hat to jump into bed with a man she's only just met! Unbelievable, with a very very weak plotline. Has Katie Fforde been abducted by aliens and replaced with another, less able writer?? I think I agree with other reviewers, the author needs to take time out, and get back to her original storylines, with characters we like and can identify with.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Boring to Finish, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: Love Letters (Hardcover)
I am not the biggest fan of this author but I picked this up at my local library & thought it would be a reasonable choice especially as I was not paying for the privilage of reading it.
Wrong! Within a few pages I realised there was no way I could continue reading it.
The main character was so awful that I couldn't have cared less what happened to her.
I am not surpised that others have also recorded negative reviews.
This is the worst book I have attempted to read for a long time & I will make a concious effort to avoid future publications by this author.
Verdict;- dreadful. Don't waste your time with this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Love Letters (Paperback)
I have read and enjoyed many of Katie Fforde's books but must admit this is one of the most boring books I have ever read. The story has no substance and so predictable. It was very hard going from the first chapter but I persevered hoping it would improve. It didnt. The characters were dull and the main character become one I disliked immensely. I felt as though I was reading something written as a school essay. Such a dissapointment and very amateur.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gemma, 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: Love Letters (Paperback)
I found this book really long boring and slow. I wanted to continue reading cos i wanted to know what happened in the end, but just could not bring myself to finish it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointed, 31 July 2009
H (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Letters (Hardcover)
I have read all of Katie Fforde's books, and for me, Love Letters wasn't as enjoyable as some of her older work. I couldn't warm to Laura. As she is the main character this was a big problem. I kept going, but it was forced. I have to say that the book improved towards the end. There is a very funny part involving Laura's parent's, which made me smile. I did warm to Dermot, but I feel, like someone else has said, that Laura and Dermot are mismatched. It was good to get more of an insight into the writing world.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Bored, 29 May 2010
F. Maguire (Loughton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Letters (Hardcover)
I have always been a great fan of Katie Fforde. But this book is just so bad. The two main characters have no depth or chemistry between them. The plot is non existent to be honest. I'm only halfway through and I am finding it a struggle to finish as I am bored. Normally with this author's books, I'm turning the pages and up until goodness knows what time as I can't put them down. What's happened to books like Highland Fling and Tyme Out? With their big romantic tension and funny, interesting story lines? I also have her previous book Wedding Season but I don't think I will bother going by other reviews, many say its worse than this one!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and very predictable, 16 Jun 2009
This review is from: Love Letters (Hardcover)
I was disappointed in this book, I felt i was being talked to by Fforde as if i was a silly child. She spends so much time explaining what the protagonist is thinking, when it is obvious, that i wanted to scream! When Laura goes to Dermot's house and finds it in a total mess, is it not obvious that he is being creative? Clearly not to her, i felt that Dermot was a great character but Laura was irritatingly shy and withdrawn one minute and talking at gatherings the next with no sign of bashfulness. It was all a bit too convenient and unbelievable for me. If you want a silly read that will pass a few hours requiring absolutely no thought this is the book to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only book I have ever been unable to finish!, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: Love Letters (Kindle Edition)
I am currently half way through this book and to be honest it has been hard work getting there. I have now decided to give up reading it as it is terrible. Agree with what everyone else has said, there is virtually no plot to speak of! First book by this author I have ever read and will never try another!

I am not even 1% intrigued to know what happens although I am more than sure I could guess!

Love Letters
Love Letters by Katie Fforde (Paperback - 4 Mar 2010)