5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Book!
Published on 15 Dec 2009 by Emma

1.0 out of 5 stars They saw me coming!
Published on 22 Aug 2009 by felicitas

1.0 out of 5 stars They saw me coming!, 22 Aug 2009
This review is from: Why Me, Why This, Why Now?: A Guide to Answering Life's Toughest Questions (Paperback)
I wrote a well deserved and glowing report on Robin Norwood's best seller "Women Who Love Too Much", and thought (assumed) that this one would also be as helpful. In fact there is no resemblance between them - they could have been written by totally different people! And the reason for that is made clear in the Introduction where the author tells us that soon after the success of WWLTM she had some sort of breakdown, divorced her husband, gave up her psychotherapy practice and embarked on a spiritual quest lasting 7 years, during which she cut herself off from virtually all outside contact.

Her studies were of an esoteric nature (vaguely new-agey I suppose) and that fact it not made clear in any of the other reviews, or even in the product description. So by all means read it if you are into crystals, spirit guides, auras, guides, chakras, reincarnation etc., but I'm not and would not have bought it if I had realised that this was what it was about. She asks you to try and read with an open mind - I did, but still had to give up less than half-way through.

To me this book, which may have been very important personally to the author, who wants to share her new found beliefs, rides on the back of the very successful WWLTM, and would have sunk without a trace (or maybe not even been published) if it had been written by anyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Book!, 15 Dec 2009
I was amazed by this book and loved it from start to finish. It is a beautifully written spiritual book, different from Women Who Love Too Much, but in my view a progression from this book because it incorporates life in general. It gives a spiritual insight into why we go through so much hell in our lives and gives a deep meaning to life generally. It is well worth reading, sufficiently deep for those of us seeking a spiritual understanding to life, but not for everybody who is looking for immediate answers. It was recommended to me and I am so glad I read it - another stunning book by Robin Norwood.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doom and Gloom!!!, 8 Nov 2012
Doom and gloom!!!

It is with much sadness I am writing this review as I had always held the author in such high esteem, her earlier work "Women Who Love Too Much" is a classic and of enormous help to many.

This book however could not be more different, it is in summary negative, depressing, disturbing and potentially dangerous if placed into the hands of someone suffering from serious depression.

I stuck with the book to the bitter end, hoping for a positive conclusion but sadly it never came.

I should probably point out that I am a psychologist myself and am very spiritual and have studied philosophy and metaphysics for many years, so my review of this book is not based on ignorance.

From the content of this book, it seems likely to me that the author was suffering herself from serious depression at the time of writing, which might explain whilst seemingly, trying to deliver a hopeful message, has a constant undertone of negativity, futility and hopelessness.

The central theme of the book is that our physical existence was "separated" from the source at the point of creation, that our souls are a learning bridge or type of translator between the two, with the ultimate aim of eventually reuniting us with the source.... Totally agree!!!

BUT, Ms Norwood's position seems to be that the our soul cares little for our plight or suffering and merely considers it the collateral damage necessary to (and I quote) "HAMMER us", into learning and thereby eventually return us to light...

As I said, yes I agree our souls are a learning bridge to the source, but our soul is not cruel or callous as she seems to suggest. Probably the biggest esoterically shared idea, across all philosophies and spiritual teachings, is that its all driven by pure love! Perhaps she is suggesting it's a form of "cruel to be kind" but there is no such thing as cruel to be kind, just cruel!

She further suggests that our physical incarnations, are pretty much purely about suffering, as it's the main way we learn and that this suffering will intensify and continue through countless lifetimes...

But the suffering of individuals and humanity as a whole is lessening (albeit painfully slowly), we don't rip people apart between carthorses anymore, or burn them at the stake for herecy or blasphemy, and no conflict on anything like the SCALE of 2 world wars has been seen since! This is simply and completely at odds with her premise.

References are made to Buddhist philosophy yet she completely misses the fact that the Dalai Lama considers the purpose of life is to be happy and the central theme of Buddhism is compassion, which by their definition is simply a wish, that all may be happy and WITHOUT suffering!

As I said, I agree esoterically with many of the principles she has introduced, but her interpretation of them simply doesn't hold water

Yes we learn from suffering, but the Taoists are pretty much right, the universe, and life is a mirror and we are co-creators, we can influence our destiny and outcomes. Furthermore Taoism teaches of the BALANCE in all things including joy and suffering. If our lessons were supposed to be so heavily biased towards suffering as she suggests, virtually everyone would give up and commit suicide. Furthermore without joy, we would have no contrast to suffering and therefore would not recognise it as such and therefore couldn't learn from it! A BALANCE between the two is essential to achieve the souls purpose.

Also through meditation and spiritual practice we can transcend suffering, this would seem to defeat the souls objective if what Robin is suggesting were true.

This book seems to have been written with a heavy bias based on the authors state of mind at the time, very sad for one who at a time was visionary and inspirational.

A Good alternative would be anything by Dr Michael Beckwith

Dr T. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been written better, 14 July 2007
Nadia Al Hazmi (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) - See all my reviews
The meaning within the book is fundamental for everyone. Things do happen for a reason, if we only open our eyes to see and accept. But ms. Norwood has written the book as a trail she herself was following so I found it hard to follow and uninteresting. I recommend the last chapter, as it is the only one that made me feel the book was worth reading.
I love philosophy, but sometimes it is just too much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Met Me Where I Was At, 2 Jan 2010
I've been fascinated to read the differing reviews of this book, from those who think WMWTWN is in some ways the next stage of the journey Norwood took us along with Women Who Love Too Much, and those who think this is a retrograde or nonsensical book.

I was steered towards THIS book some years ago, without having read her earlier book, and found it really met me where I was beginning to go - looking at the idea of 'soul responsibility'. Which may sound airy fairy, horribly and irritatingly woolly - or make absolute sense - depending on YOUR perception of reality, at this moment.

Norwood writes clearly and honestly about her own journey, and I would say if for example some of Carolyn Myss's books, particularly Sacred Contracts: Awakening Your Divine Potential strike resonances for you, this should be a fulfilling read. Norwood is a clear and compassionate writer, and her recounting of her own journey which brought her to write this book is quite humbling. I'm really grateful to people who make TOUGH journeys and are also able to recount the experience in such a way as to help some of us have a slightly easier journey towards resolution and understanding of our own selves, lives and relationships.

As a complementary health practitioner, some of my clients are clearly in a place where they are wanting a transpersonal overview of their lives. This book is then an excellent and helpful recommendation

A very very different sort of book, but one which also goes on a deep and reflective journey and is inspirational is A Book of Silence

4.0 out of 5 stars My Opinion, 3 Mar 2003
By A Customer
I purchased Women Who Love Too Much, just this year. I read the book within 4 days. I couldn't put it down. I was helped more from that purchase than any activity or therepy I could've ever received.
However, WHY ME? WHY THIS? WHY NOW? didn't strike a chord with me. I found it to be a great book in its own right but don't buy it if you are looking for another version of Women Who Love Too Much. The author's philosiphy completely changes, tones, and values. I didn't get the same feeling about this book, infact, some things noted in the new book I found to be simply contridictions to the last book I just bought. I guess we all grow, and the author has grown tremendously in this in-depth writing.
The book is a great book but just wasn't my cup of tea. I would like to say great going to the author and that for anyone up for a spiritual, enlightening, but controversial read is going to like this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 9 Aug 2014
This one was an ok read

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 9 July 2014
Purchased for a friend so I cannot review.

4.0 out of 5 stars My purchase, 27 Feb 2009
A. Black (uk) - See all my reviews
Am very happy with my purchase. It arrived on time and in good condition. I would recommend them!

Why Me, Why This, Why Now?: A Guide to Answering Life's Toughest Questions