Format: PaperbackChange

on 29 April 2012
I love all James Patterson's books but this one was far and away the best. I'm a slow reader but I just couldn't put this book down. I started it one afternoon and finished it the next day after picking it up every time I had a spare moment. It was so compelling. Your heart goes out to the poor boy and his family straight away and it is wonderful how no-one gave up on him regardless of the setbacks. It was amazing to read what he was acheiving in his life at the end of the book, I didn't want it to end. I've told all my friends to read it, I can't praise it highly enough. I hope he is continuing to do well and hope James Patterson writes more books of this calibre.
on 30 June 2013
I was unable to warm to Cory as although I felt huge sympathy for his condition I found his continual "woe is me" attitude rather wearing. It must have been a terrible position for him to be in especially as a younger child however at every opportunity he comes up with remarks such as "welcome to my space", "welcome to my world", "once again I thought things couldn't get any worse, guess I was wrong about that". I wonder if this attitude may have been the cause of those who were initially on his side eventually losing patience - Mrs Erlanger (his favourite teacher), Terry (his school aide) and others.

His family deserve admiration for their huge effort and support of him, and it goes without question that the family all have a deep love for one and other, and this is consistent throughout the book.

There is no doubt at all that his condition was unbelievably frustrating and exceptionally debilitating, however I wonder if there were occasions (eg smoking at school) when his condition was overcompensated for, after all it must be difficult to draw a line between a condition like this and actual bad behaviour.

It is also curious that his improvement coincided with the rigid regime of the high school administration "laying down a daunting number of requirements" in order to take him back.

With regard to the structure of the book I felt that until the last part it didn't flow very well, and was a series of disjointed events. Luckily this did improve when Cory went to the Wilderness Camp and from there it did become more complete.

I am delighted that he finally improved, but feel that this part of the book was rushed and I would have liked more info and a greater explanation for this - was it down to a significant drop in his meds or did he mostly grow out of it? Whatever the reason his achievement at this stage was impressive.
on 7 November 2008
Please note that this is exactly the same book as "Against Medical Advice". I bought both thinking this was a new true story - it isn't - no mention is made in the product details.
44 comments12 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2012
Buying this story for a mere £1, I had no idea how much I would fall in love with this book. Or how heartwrenching it would be.

Immediately I feel inclined to say it is not an easy read and even those cynical would be moved by some of the more harrowing moments.

Since everyone has given quite a decent quantity of information about the main plotline itself, I will skip that and admirably say how much I adore Cory, what he has to go through I cannot begin to imagine including what his parents faced during his early years. The admiration that they never gave up on him is beautifully written.

Told in Patterson's certain style, none of the facts are glossed over and he brings a sadness to every moment.

Yet despite the sorrow, it all culminates into a fantastic end. One that even caused me to weep tears of joy. There is a richness to the text, the cover leaves you knowing it will break your heart and the entire journey is filled with revelations, even surprises.

What makes Cory's story one to read is in the end when you see what Cory himself, had actually written prior to the novel, and medical reports among other items. It adds a sensitivity missing from some books nowadays.

A lovely cover, easy distinguishable writing and uplifting. Scope this book out, you won't be disappointed.
on 27 January 2013
An excellent book. James you achieved your objective! This book is definitely a page turner. Well written and clearly set out. This is an informative hugely interesting book.
on 27 November 2008
Being an avid Jame Patterson reader, I, and I'm sure many others have noticed the quality of his books decreasing in quality and plot. This book however is fantstic. It so brilliantly tells such a sad and gripping story. I think Patterson should focus more on these real-life stories as the plot is already there. All he has to do is put it together, which I think he is extremely good at doing.
0Comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 November 2013
When you see any article about a child with tourettes, it is assumed that it will be all about the tics. This book was a brilliant insight to someone living with ts from their point of view, and how it affects their relationships with various people. It gets in to the mind of how they think, how they feel as a child. It covers the rage syndrome, and ocd which people rarely think about and the need to find something to help just to survive. As a parent with a child with ts, you want to help and you want others to understand how a child suffers, not just from the tics, but everything, lack of sleep, pain, anger and more. This book should be passed on to every teacher who has a child in their class with ts.
on 29 November 2012
A truly amazing account of a young man's struggles with Tourettes and OCD. Written in James Patterson's usual style - you feel everything that Cory is going through. Excellent read and I thoroughly recommend it.
on 22 March 2013
James Patterson has always been my favourite authour but unfortunatly on this occassion this book wasnt one for me and i didnt actually finish it, it hit some hard parts and maybe thats why i couldnt read it, its about a family whos boy has got a lot of neurological illnessess and has tourettes and adhd and other issues and has turned to alchol to help him through it and the struggle his family have trying to help him and the instituation he goes in and then they get him out again. People would need to be hard to read it and be strong maybe it just hit parts too close to home but wasnt for me
on 3 June 2011
This is an incredible true story about a little boy called Cory. Its amazing how the author of this book has managed to write this heartbreaking story about this little boys journey thorough his life. The first thing I thought about when I have read a few chapters was that I have to give this book to a friend of mine that has a child that suffer with a similar disorder. This book is a must read for people who knows someone that suffer with Tourette syndrome and OCD
Laila Bevan
Author of "Stolen Childhood"