Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 September 2010
This trilogy follows a group of friends, centred around three girls, from school days through adulthood. There are childhood dreams, adolescent angst, adult drama and trauma and all described and addressed in a sophisticated way with the beautiful backdrop of Africa and later in the series Europe. This is a fitting end to the tales, and comes highly recommended. Do read the first two books first or you would not benefit from the full enjoyment of the series.
on 19 September 2010
What an absolutely fantastic book I could not put it down it had me in tears once or twice. I read it in 3 days and now can't wait
for another book by these authors. I have read every book they have written up to now, roll on the next one.
on 23 November 2010
I was really looking forward to this book as I really enjoyed the previous 2 books. It started out as promising and picked up on the lives of the three women well, but I was really disappointed as I read on. The storylines became totally unrealistic and ridiculous for a story set in 1970's Kenya, and the last line of the book may as well have been "and they lived happily ever after"! Very disappointed to be honest.
on 14 February 2011
Fabulous fabulous read. Sorry I had to come to end of it. Hopefully they will continue to write about the next generation.
on 7 March 2011
The third of the Langani trilogy, this book doesn't disappoint. Continuing the story of Hannah, Sarah and Camilla, three girls from very different backgrounds who meet at school in Kenya, the trilogy follows them through adolescence, their twenties and thirties, finally finishing as they enter their forties in the mid-1980's. This wonderful, moving story set in Kenya and Europe has real depth and whilst it could be read as a stand-alone, I feel it's better to have read the first two books and so develop a better understanding of the characters, their histories, their lives, their flaws and everything that goes into making them the people they are and their interactions with eachother.
What I particularly like is that the authors don't shy away from the nastier aspects of Kenya's political history nor did they seek to make the girls perfect in any way. Their characters are well-rounded and believable with strengths and flaws that allow the reader to identify with each girl at different times throughout their stories. There is a harshness to their African lives and they all face hardship, loss, death and destruction through the years along with the joys of love but what maintains them throughout is their bond of sisterhood which, like any great friendship, suffers from their imperfections and is strained to breaking point at times.
This is a brilliant series and I hated coming to the end - I just wanted it to continue and hope that there will be a sequel with the next generation.
on 27 May 2011
I had very much enjoyed reading the first two books in this African trilogy. This, third, book was something of an anticlimax. It's almost as if writing a third book was an afterthought by the authors who had, effectively, finished the story line at the end of the second book. The reader learns more of the personal lives of the three 'blood sisters' as they move into their 30s and 40s but there are no more dramatic events.
on 26 November 2015
I reached the end of the Langani trilogy with a sigh, partly of sadness at saying goodbye to these people that I had come to know so well, and partly of pleasure at having found one (even better, three!) of those books that truly immerses you so that it becomes as real as your own life ... I marked it as four rather than five stars as I felt the momentum was slightly lost after the first two books, but if possible I'd have given it 4 1/2. I admit to having skipped over some of the leopard passages which, though fascinating, went on slightly too long, and I did get rather lost in the ramifications of the schemes of Rabindrah's confusing family!

The melodrama was perhaps pitched a little too high in this final book: and the murders, political skullduggery, love tangles, accidents and family crisesbecame a bit far-fetched, but basically I loved this book and the first two of the trilogy and am truly sad to say farewell to Langani and to Hanna, Sarah and Camilla.
on 11 March 2013
This trilogy was recommended to me, and I just couldn't put them down! A family member also read them because I was enjoying them so much, and had the same experience. We would both love to see a further trilogy for the next generation!
on 10 September 2011
Third in the trilogy so you need to read Blood Sisters and An Endurable Fire first. The books follows three friends from their schooldays in Kenya in the 1950s through their lives and sometimes traumatic events. Real page turning stuff.
VINE VOICEon 17 November 2010
I read both Blood Sisters and Durable Fire and could not put these down. Like other reviewers, could not wait for the final book to come out. Unfortunately unlike the other reviewers, I was slightly disappointed. It was good to seek closure for the three girls, but felt it was a bit long winded and did not flow as well as the other books. In some parts I struggled and part of me feels that it was not necessary to right the last book.
I would definately read some more books by these authors because all the others I have thoroughly enjoyed. If you have not read "To my Daughter in France", then I would recommend reading this.