4.0 out of 5 stars Low-key but charming
*Synopsis*
Published on 7 Nov 2008 by OxfordHacker

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable book, amazing game world
As others have said, the story here is pretty light - the likeable main character has a few problems with his girlfriend but it's all OK in the end.

Published on 6 July 2011 by John W

4.0 out of 5 stars Low-key but charming, 7 Nov 2008
OxfordHacker (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
*Synopsis*
This is a longish book structured as an unedited walkthrough for fiendishly complicated adventure game, written by a heavy-metal-loving 20-something slacker with a short attention span, sketchy language skills and - literally - a malfunctioning Caps Lock key. He writes in a stream-of-consciousness style, incorporating glimpses of his life, sometimes attempting to draw parallels with the game in a bid to illuminate one or the other.

*Review*
From the central conceit, I expected it to be an artfully post-modern blurring of the boundaries between game and reality, or unreadably horrible. In fact it's neither, just a sweet book that reads very much like it's from the Young Adult section. There are no SF elements (except for some aspects of the game) and not much in the way of action (even the in-game fights are mostly described obliquely). It's a challenge to review, because although I actually rather liked it, I find it hard to explain why it wasn't as tooth-grindingly ghastly as it sounds. I'd certainly recommend that you read a few pages before purchasing, in case your tolerance is differently calibrated. I can at least reassure you that it is mercifully free from 1337 or txt spk, and the plausibly patchy grammar and spelling didn't set my pedant sense tingling, perhaps because they're clearly to establish character. If I haven't put you off yet, you should probably give it a try...

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Broken World (Paperback)
One of the best books I have ever read. Cleverly takes the new genre of gaming through a walk-through blog style narrative. Genius!

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable book, amazing game world, 6 July 2011
John W (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Broken World (Paperback)

The story is enjoyable enough then, but what I really liked was the game world described. The Broken World is a game that you really wish existed, I found myself always looking forward to the next bit of walkthrough so I could learn more about the game.

So what I say is if you are a gamer you should certainly read this - The Broken World game makes this a standout book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not 'Broken', merely fractured, 15 Dec 2008
Mr. Huw Scott Morgan "Heresiarch" (Over there, hiding behind a tree) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Broken World (Paperback)
I picked this up on a whim, because the basic premise that Etchells has is an intriguing one - and had the potential to be some kind of Phil Dick-esque mind-bender of a novel. To be frank, I was expecting a much more interesting ride...

What we have instead is a not-especially-interesting piece of young adult fiction, glued onto a walkthrough for the in-novel game called 'The Broken World' (natch) which the protagonist is writing whilst his real-life crumbles. And here is one of the two main problems that the novel suffers - reading large swathes of it is as exciting and interesting as reading a real walkthrough for a game you've never seen, heard of or played, and never will. Gripping it ain't. Check out any walkthrough on the net, and you'll get a good idea of what I mean - we're definately not talking 'well written' here.

The other problem is simply one of character. That is to say, it'd be nice to have someone who you identified with, or were more than stock characters in the first place (there are a few exceptions, I freely admit, but not many).

Overall, a definate two-star book. Nothing in it so offensive to make you give up or hurl the book across the room, but nothing in it that stands out enough to make me want to recommend it to friends.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gamers Paradise, 13 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Broken World (Paperback)
If you enjoy playing strategic games, and ever wondered how fun it would be to create the most naturalistic and complicated one ever, stop, because Tim Etchells just has. Being a big fan of the Ensemble theatre company Forced Entertainment, from which Tim Etchells is the Artistic Director, I was wondering how Etchells first novel was going to read, being that there performance's are of a highly postmodern approach to theatre, I considered Etchells first novel was going to be in a similar category. It quite simply isn't, and turns out to be a fun read. Mostly of a computer game I wished existed. That's not to say there isn't a deeper meaning, with compelling insights into reality. The book pushed me into thinking about the amount of time I spend on the computer or in front of the television, and balance out how much of my life has been spent in reality. Overall The Broken World is an enjoyable read, and if you're a big gamer, this could be one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent and thought provoking read, 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Broken World (Paperback)
In short a novel that is both hugely readable and thought provoking

A simple and direct writing style that engages

Well worth a read F!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Boring..., 4 Nov 2008
Gareth Mills - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Broken World (Paperback)
Sorry to be really nagative about this book, but it was so boring :( nothing happend! If you were expecting an intense sci-fi thriller with twists taking you between the real world and the computer game universe, look else where...

If you like the idea of reading the diary of a boring nerd, then go ahead this is perfect.

The Broken World
The Broken World by Tim Etchells (Paperback - 3 Sep 2009)
6.95