Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 December 2008
I have championed Belinda Jones's books for years, I have always loved her style of writing, the humour, the descriptions of the fantastic places she bases her books in but have to say that I have found her last book, The Love Accademy disappointing and this one Out of the Blue even more so. I fear Belinda has lost the plot a bit with her writing lately and maybe deserves a little rest so that she can get back to the glory days of I love Capri and The Paradise Room to name but two of her other fab books.

Anyway, this book centres around Selena Harper who normally works on a cruise ship but is taking a break and after meeting up with her colleague Alekko at the airport is offered the chance to help him with his brother's business in Greece. Selena is reluctant to go at first as she is very mistrustful of men and as Alekko has a reputation of being a womaniser she is not sure that she wants to spend a week with him even if the location sounds idyllic.

Anyway, she does go and of course is swept away by beautiful Greece.

I have to say that I wasn't very keen on the character of Selena to start with, but liked her more as the book went on.

The book was terribly slow to begin with in fact I nearly gave up with it altogether at one stage and I know a friend of mine reading it at the same time found the same even though she is a big fan of Belinda's too. However, I stuck with it and enjoyed it more from the middle onwards. Belinda is very good with her descriptions of Greece and it was interesting that she added in some Greek mythology.

I would say to Belinda fans that they should read this book as it is a good read but just don't expect to be blown away by it.
on 18 July 2009
Take a description of a Greek island, some references to a few Greek films, a cruiseship or two and a love story - add them all together and you have 'Out of the Blue', the latest offering from our travel-loving chick lit authoress Belinda Jones.

Being of Greek descent myself, it was nice to see Ms Jones' obvious appreciation of Crete - which really is as stunning as she bases her novels around - she clearly has a talent for transporting the reader to the places she describes.

The novel is a fairly decent read - the plot itself was basic but readable, and I liked both Alekos and Selena's characters. I will also be renting out two of the mentioned films (Shirley Valentine and Never on Sunday) on the back of reading this book. On the negative side, in some parts I felt that the author had just thrown all her research in carelessly without editing it first. The constant and detailed references to Greek mythology (in the form of Alekos' ramblings) jarred after a while and became boring. I also got the impression she tried too hard to accommodate all the people she met in Crete whilst researching the book as most of their names crop up at some stage (including a bizarre scene in Athens with Nia Vardalos), instead of focussing of her wider audience.
on 26 August 2011
Selena Harper loves her job on a cruiseship however lately she feels likes something is missing in her life. So she's happy to go on a vacation and to get away from men like her coworker Alekos. Selena can't understand why Alekos, who looks like a Greek god, is always flirting with her and asking her out on a date. She mistrusts him too much to take him seriously because she thinks that he is a womaniser.
But when her own vacation plans are cancelled and Alekos needs help with running his brother's business on Crete, Selena agreess to help him out. Suprisingly her stay on Crete is beautiful and the more time she spends with Alekos the more she starts to like him.
Will Selena give her feelings and Alekos a chance?

"Out of the blue" was a spontaneous purchase because I was in the mood for a happy summer book and this book looked & sounded like one. My first impression of this book was definitely the right one because "Out of the blue" brought me a lot of fun, laughter and happy moments.

The book plays on Crete and the author did an amazing job with describing the scenery and the people there. I could feel the warmth and sun on my skin while reading and loved the relaxed atmosphere. When I finished the book I was in the mood to plan a trip to this island asap because the author described it so wonderfully.

This was my first book by Belinda Jones and her writing style managed to engage and entertain me right from the first pages on. I knew pretty soon after starting the book that I would have a lot of fun with it. For one thing because of the author's engaging writing style, for another thing because of the two main characters Selena and Alekos. I loved reading about them and to witness how their relationship changed to something beautiful was so wonderful.

I liked that Selena and Aleko's relationship changed slowly and that she was a bit stubborn at times. She had some bad experiences with men in the past so it was logical that she mistrusted Aleko's intentions at first. I loved how they got closer while staying on Crete and that they had the time to learn more about each other. Towards the end of the book Alekos did something stupid and I nearly screamed at him in that moment, but I managed to get over this mistake and at the end of the book was truly happy with the ending and especially the wonderful epilogue.

"Out of the blue" makes me excited to read more by Belinda Jones because I love light-hearted, relaxed, funny, sunny and beautiful romances.

cover
I like the cover because it's bright, looks sunny and fits to the book.

final appraisal
"Out of the blue" is a happy book that made me laugh, smile and swoon a lot. When I finished the book I felt relaxed, satisfied and excited to read more by Belinda Jones.
I would recommend this book to all readers who are looking for a light-hearted and happy romance.
on 12 May 2009
this book was a excellent read.couldnt put it down.the story was to true love story.make me want to go and find my self a greek god.another great book from a great writer.she never fails to impress.
on 23 February 2011
I picked up this book because it was on sale in Sainsburys for £2 and I needed an injection of sunshine!

What a surprise though - the book was actually really good! There were plenty of laugh-out-loud passages and I could almost feel the sunshine burning through the pages!

I would definitely recommend this book for a bit of light-hearted romance! Be warned though, you might just have to book a holiday to the sunshine straight after reading it!
on 29 June 2009
I took seven books with me on my holidays on this was the best one that I took including out of Chris Manby and Sophie Kinsella. It was my first Belinda jones title and now I am hooked. The love interest Alekos was totally believable and wantable and I think I loved him by the end. The story has stayed in my mind and I'm about to order my next Belinda book.
on 24 March 2010
I started reading this on rainy Sunday and was instantly transported to the beautiful, sunny Crete. I loved all of the descriptions and activities that our protagonist Selena gets up to and the way Greek mythology was woven into the story.

I am a huge fan of Belinda Jones and have always found a way to relate to her characters because they are described as human beings who have flaws. This is the tale of Selena falling in love and the ups and downs that come her way during this journey. I felt very emotionally tied to this book every happiness I shared in, every upset I felt and there were a few laugh out loud moments when I got a funny look from my boyfriend.

I would recommend this book to my friends as a great way to pass a few rainy days or as a fab holiday read. Now I'm off to search for a holiday in Crete.
on 8 May 2009
This was Belinda Jones at her best! I have read every one of her books and have not yet been disappointed. This one topped the scales, I got totally caught up and couldn't put it down. I recommend this as a hoilday read.
on 28 May 2014
I started to read this book and was a little weary due to some of it's negative reviews but can now safely say that I don't agree with them.
The book starts off outlining Selena's life and it is very descriptive but I think that it needs to be so that you can fully enjoy it.
I travelled with Selena everywhere she went. I was happy when she was happy and rooted for her when things didn't look so good. What can I say... This book is definitely worth a read as it cheers you up on a rainy day and really does make you feel like you have gone on holiday.
on 20 November 2010
I loved this book. Whilst reading it at the canteen at work I was transported to a hot sandy Greek beach. Perfect for forgetting those winter blues.