4.0 out of 5 stars Blood Work
Having been blown away by this authors debut crime novel "Hard Evidence" I had really high hopes for this one, the second in the series featuring rougue policeman DI Jack Delaney.
Published on 14 Aug. 2009 by Belfast Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't match the prequel
While Pearson's "Hard Evidence" was a refreshing read with an interesting plot, good lines and thoughts, the follow-up just doesn't reach the same heights.

Published on 22 May 2010 by johnverp

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Blood Work, 14 Aug. 2009
Belfast Dave (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Blood Work (Paperback)
But as hard as I tried, i felt it just did not come up to speed. Firstly, if you have never read "Hard Evidence" DO SO. The author not only out lines the previous characters but also the killer, motives and all, within the first few pages.
Thats not to say that this is a bad book, it certainly is not. It just didn't grip me in the way "Hard Evidence" did. But it is still a darn good yarn, and you will stay up as late as you can to finish it. But unlike Mark Pearson's previous book, it may not leave you gasping to read the next one.
Despite my own reservations, I did enjoy it. But every author deserves to be cut a little slack every now and then. And anyone who has read "Hard Evidence" knows that Mark Pearson can deliver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood work Mark Pearson, 28 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Blood Work (Paperback)
Having enjoyed Mark Pearson's previous book, I snapped Blood work up when passing through an airport this summer. This is an excellent second in the series (hopefully!)and totally absorbed my first couple of days in the sun. Pearson has really fleshed out the character of the hard living detective Jack Delaney. The book left me wanting more detail of Jack's troubled past, which is surely a good sign for future books. Although a bit gory in parts, which I guess would make it a dead cert for a TV spin of, the book has pace and gritty detail throughout. Loved the description of parts of North west london, as well as the clever trick at the end. A great refreshing read. Look forward to hopefully another tale of Jack's life. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood Work, 19 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Blood Work (Paperback)
So the notorious'difficult second'. It might have been difficult for Mark Pearson but it certainly wasn't for me.Hard Evidence was a very good first novel for Pearson who is obviously an accomplished story-teller.Blood Work is excellent and his style of writing continues but seems smoother. He has put flesh on his characters # victims excepted # and despite gory or unsavoury scenes manages to add very humourous similes or asides that make you laugh out loud. Whether he does this for his own amusement or that of the readers is debatable but it certainly works for me to the extent that I re-read Hard Evidence to see if I'd missed any.
Pearson has, in Blood Work, made the maverick cop Jack Delaney a vulnerable human being, even if Jack doesn't know it-yet.
I am really looking forward to the third book. You can be sure that the plot#s# will be good but I'm intruiged to see where Jack's relationships go with all those about him.

5.0 out of 5 stars One to read, 26 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Blood Work (Paperback)
I read Hard Evidence first and enjoyed it, but feel that the author is really getting into the swing of things with this book. If you enjoy The Bill and Holby City then you will enjoy this book. I can't wait for the next book in the series i am already missing Jack Delaney.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't match the prequel, 22 May 2010
This review is from: Blood Work (Paperback)

The plot is reasonably simple but contains the odd surprise or two to keep interest levels up. And we learn more of the characters from the first novel. But the writing is otherwise uninspiring and the good in the book seems to have been saved for the last pages.

Sadly, there should also have been better proof-reading.

I'll give Pearson another go though, in the hope that his next novel delivers a little more depth and colour. 7/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 26 Aug. 2013
BookAddictShaun (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blood Work (Paperback)
After starting and finishing Pearson's first book in just over a day I started this one yesterday and have just finished it. Another enjoyable read featuring Jack Delaney who I think is a fantastic character. After finishing this I am even more confused about the abandoned publication of Pearson's latest book. Do his books just not sell or did he leave his publisher? I can't seem to find out.

Anyway, as I said in my review for Hard Evidence it is very clear that Pearson was once a television scriptwriter. His books do read like an exaggerated episode of The Bill. There are also multiple stories taking place at the same time rather than just 'policeman tries to catch the killer'. What annoyed me about the book however was that there weren't any chapters, just 'Day One', 'Day Two' and 'Epilogue'. I hate putting a book down mid-chapter but I had to here as I didn't have the time to read 50% of the book in one sitting!

In this book we find out more about Delaney and certainly a lot more about how his wife died which we first read about in book one. His relationship with Kate is explored more in this book and I have to say that I really enjoy reading about these characters. I have another book queued up to read but Pearson's third Delaney book is near the top of my to read list and I am off to search some more about why Pearson's latest book was abandoned as I want to read more from this author! Highly recommended to fans of Mark Billingham and once again the city of London was just as much a character in this book as the actual characters.

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going, 1 Feb. 2011
Comical Engineer "comicaleng" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blood Work (Paperback)
As a fan of crime novels, I read quite a lot of them. Unfortunately, I found this one very heavy going and must admit to having given up on it after reading about 2/3.

In short, I found the lead character distant and had no empathy with him. The rest of the characters were all rather cardboard cutouts and the story wasn't that involving either. I ploughed on as far as I could hoping that it would improve but after a while I admitted defeat and sent it off to the charity shop.

Stephen Booth and Peter Robinson write this sort of novel much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delaney's back on the case, 3 Sept. 2010
Mr. R. Brooking (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Work (Paperback)
After being thoroughly engrossed by Mark Pearson's first book 'Hard Evidence', I was really looking forward to his second outing for troubled maverick cop Frank Delaney. 'Blood Work' doesn't disapoint. There are enough twists and turns to satisfy any crime fan. The necessary gore is offset by the humour. It all leaves me waiting with anticipation to read the third of Delaney's adventures.

3.0 out of 5 stars blood work ~ was hard work, 26 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Blood Work (Kindle Edition)
after reading his first book i was intrigued to find out who was behind his wifes death. the author jumps from character to character in one paragraph making it hard to follow who is who. i was disappointed with this style of writing but it was a good story..

1.0 out of 5 stars Fragmented and lacking in depth, 7 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Blood Work (Paperback)
From reading the information about Mark Pearson at the front of the book, I noticed that he writes for television and I think that in a nutshell sums up the problems with this book - it's not a cohesive novel. Instead it's a disjointed series of scenes that jump from character to character. A novel should flow, engaging the reader and making them want to turn the page. In the case of Blood Work I just wanted to close the book. A truly disappointing read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Blood Work
Blood Work by Mark Pearson (Paperback - 13 Aug. 2009)