Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

I don't know why there seems to be a large number of bad reviews about this book. As usual I thoroughly enjoyed it. I always wanted to keep on reading it until I've finished but then am disappointed that I have got to the end already!

There is a very different story line in this one with Cindy (reporter) finding a homeless man shot and beaten on the street. Cindy becomes obsessed with the case of "Bagman Jesus".

Lindsay (detective) has a different main focus and that is to find the killer who murders without leaving any evidence for Claire (pathologist) to find.

I do agree with others that there seems to be more independence in the books lately and there's not much "Women's Murder Club" going on. They all used to put their heads together over food and drink to try to solve cases whereas now their cases are not always worked together. However, I shall keep on reading them because I love them.
on 14 July 2011
I have to admit I started from the point of views of not being a big fan of James Patterson save and except the Alex Cross series.
There seemed to be some mixed reviews of the Women's Murder Club with some praising this series, so I thought I'd give it a try.
On the evidence of this book I will not be venturing into any more of this series.
It's one of those books where, at face value, there's a lot going on but not much actually happens.
The main story (of two) centres on a spate of killings of the super rich and famous which are a complete mystery.
No clues, no murder weapon, little to link murders other than they are all loaded.
The Top Brass want these murders solved quickly which puts more pressure in the investigating team.
We hear from Pet Girl early doors and whilst you don't know, or anticipate, the technique she employs to murder her targeted victims you sense that it might not be that much of a big deal.
Also being exposed to Pet Girl as early as in proceedings took away from some of the mystery/suspense as well.
It's also worth noting that there are two parallel murder cases at play here the other being the case of Bagman Jesus an altruistic vagrant brutally murdered for no apparent reason.
Being a Vagrant the Police show little interest in solving this murder (who cares seems to be the Police mantra).
The main characters are reporter Cindy Thomas, Detective Lindsay Boxer, Assistant District Attorney Yuki Castellano, and Medical Examiner Claire Washburn.
Their paths intertwine alot which is quite interesting as is the love bit but a bit overdone in parts.
However I found this book like eating a tasteless meal which might fill me up short term but ultimately leaves you feeling undernourished and disappointed.
Having built up a head of steam (not that much, btw) it seemed to fizzle out as if the writers found something more interesting to turn their attention to!
If you've nothing better to do read it.
It has the trademark short chapters and the narrative isn't overtly taxing so you can breeze through the pages!
If not, there's much better material out there than this!
Try Kathy Reichs, Tess Gerritsen, Karin Slaughter or Liza Gardner.
Cindy is on her way to work one morning when she finds a homeless man shot and beaten on the street. Those gathered around him all praise "Bagman Jesus" as this great hero for the homeless. She becomes obsessed with the case, even getting her paper to offer a reward for information leading to the arrest of the killer.

Lindsay isn't much help, however, because she is focused on catching a killer who is murdering the rich and famous. At least it looks like murder. Claire isn't able to find the cause of death. Will any of these killers be caught?

While I wish they'd give the ladies one case to work on together again, I enjoyed these stories even though they weren't related to each other. They wove in and out of each other quite well, always keeping me engaged.

But there were still substantial problems with this book. It started with the prologue which seemed pasted in from some other book for way too long. Then there's poor Yuki's sub-plots. Both of them were completely pointless, and she'll all by herself until over 2/3 of the way through the book. Heck, if they'd left her out, it wouldn't have changed a thing.

Which is a shame because I really do love the characters. All four of these women are strong; after eight books, they seem real. I buy their friendship when they are on the page together.

And that's why the romances in the book bothered me. Cindy's romance started unbelievably, although I was on board by the end. And I will have to yell at Lindsay if she ruins a great thing in the next book.

James Patterson (and co-author Maxine Paetro) continue to write in short chapters. Between that and the emphasis on dialogue, I was able to read this book in just a few hours.

I keep reading these books because I like the characters and because I borrow them from friends or the library. They are fast reads, but I hope the stories improve going forward.
on 28 January 2014
An explosive start to this one when a school bus rips the heart out of the city centre. Are there terrorists at work in the city?
Tenacious Cindy gets involved in a human interest story when a street vagrant is brutally killed and the City does not seem to care. At the other end of the social food chain Lindsay and Conklin are ordered to drop their other cases and focus on the unexplained deaths of high profile people. Even the brilliant Claire is struggling to find a cause of death and what if anything have the recent spate of deaths have to do with previous high profile cases in the 1980's. Tensions are running high and Lindsay and Cindy's relationship becomes strained on a professional and personal level. Lindsay remains conflicted about her emotions towards the two significant men in her life and finally realises she must make a decision one way or another. There are winners and losers in love so who finds it and who loses it only time will tell. I love the way Mr Patterson and Co writer mix high octane crime chasing with the characters personal lives. There's realism in his books and I'm loving reading this series in order it's a great long playing series. Read, Enjoy, Can't wait to see what happens next.
on 8 April 2010
I got this book as a gift and being a Patterson fan, I was expecting a real page turner. Cindy was trying to solve the case of the death of a homeless man. Boxer and Conklin were solving the main case involving the killings of rich people while Yuki was in court trying to convict a woman for murder. 3 headaches. No problem. Patterson will find a way. Did he? Yes. A very quick way, indeed. Patterson stretched the cases too far and when he was running out of pages to write, he came up with some really really disappointing conclusions. Bagman turned out to be an arse and so he deserved to die. Pet Girl was easily caught. And the trial of the woman charged with murder was so screwed up that I don't even wanna talk about it. Oh and guess what, Yuki's doctor boyfriend was raised a girl but decided to become a man later on in his life. I went crazy when I came across that part.

If you have not read this book, no worries! You haven't missed anything. I'm still looking for a book which would blow me away just like how Roses Are Red and Mary, Mary did. I'm a bigger fan of Cross.=)
on 20 June 2009
It wasn't sure whether to add my review or not, given that other reviewers have said it all before me - but here goes. Given that James Patterson seems to be putting out a new book every other week, I'm taking it as a given that Maxine Paetro does most of the writing on this series. But it didn't matter, I really enjoyed the first seven books - so who the heck wrote this one??? It's a bizarre mix of half-baked stories. There's a car chase that only appears to be there to pad out the book; a court case for Yuki that doesn't get resolved but just grinds to a halt; a search for a homeless man's background that turns into a 'just another street punk' tale; a hunt for a murderer that gets resolved almost by accident. It's as if somebody set a clutch of really interesting stories running - and then just ran out of steam and couldn't be bothered to construct any satisfactory endings.
on 2 July 2011
With all James Patterson novels they are very fast-paced and there is stacks of action crammed into the pages, however because of this I do feel that they lack depth or substance. Perhaps if the author added an extra hundred pages and gave more details it may make the storyline feel fuller and give the reader a richer experience. I like a crime/thriller novels where I am kept guessing and on occasions am surprised by what unfolds, unfortunately here I feel that sometimes the storylines unfold too easy. On the plus side, I did like the original method that the murderer used to kill the victims in this novel, and , as always, they are very easy books to pick up and read without having to have read the previous novels in this collection.

I would call James Patterson's novel, easy reading, enjoyable but lacks depth.
on 29 June 2009
I love James Patterson's books, and this one did not disappoint. I found it slightly harder to get into than the others, but once into the swing of the story I read it in 2 days (working in-between). Can't wait to read the next one in the series.
on 3 August 2010
Another first class mystery story by James Patterson. Usually by the 8th book in a series the plot lines start to get a bit unbelievable. In this case they are as good as the rest of the series. Well worth the reading time.
on 5 October 2010
I read the 9th confession on a recommendation, so i had to get the 8th. Could not put down either of these books. If you like a good thriller then this book is a definite read.