Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 59 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on 14 March 2003
It kind of says something about an author when they write a book intended for readers aged 9 or above and still have it read by people aged 19 or more - like myself.
I first heard of this particular series on a book review T.V programme, and decided it might be worth a look. When I got the book, I could hardly put it down. That was when I was about 12.
7 years later on, and the same still holds true, and this book is one of the best in the series.
The story revolves around Matthias, a novice in the order of Redwall. He is young and clumsy, and dreams of being a warrior like Redwall Abbey's founder, Martin.
Little does he realise that Cluny the Scourge and his horde of rats are fast approaching the Abbey, and his chance to test himself may come sooner than expected....
this book has great characters, a great plot which follows the basic good-versus-evil principle, and some wonderfully emotional moments. even at 19, im still loving it, and i probably will for a lot longer. get it soon.
on 26 August 2001
The author and a splendid cast bring this tale to life with fantastic voices and a superb plot. a great work. i would definitelly recommend this to annyone who likes a good story.
on 14 May 2005
I loved this book! The story is action packed,exiting, funny, aggressive in places and the best book I have read so far in my life!!!!Even better than the Harry Potter books.
My favourite characters are the paw sucking squirrel Silent Sam, the hero of the book Matthias Mouse, and the evil villain, Cluny. I also loved Constance the badger. I can't wait to start Mossflower, the next in the series & I would love it if my Mum got me the whole set.
Harvey aged 8.
0Comment22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2009
Redwall is certainly my favourite of all the redwall books and if you are a new reader, this is where to start. It isn't the 1st of the series, but if you're unsure whether you want to give that a go, redwall will make up your mind. A tale of a daring adventure of woodland animals-yeah, i know that that sounds a tad wierd. Well, it isn't. Don't not read the books because of that, because Brian Jacques produces fantasy that reads like realism and this will definitely cheer you up. I started reading this series when I was 8, but I would say that there is no age rsnge on it. A thorably enjoyable book for all ages, boys and girls, but more so boys-perfect for tom boys ( you'll enjoy it more if you're younger because you have better imaginations then :D .)
Mikaela (age 14)
on 1 July 2000
You MUST join in the adventures of Matthias descendant of Martin and find out how he and Methuselah along with some willing friends find the legendary sword of Martin the Warrior.Martin was the founder of Redwall Abbey, he brought fear into the hearts of the coldest of vermin throughout the land of Mossflower and surrounding country.He was the legend of legends until he died. When he died he left a puzzle which only one creature-a true warrior-could find.One which he allready new much about, the next warrior to be, Matthias his great descendant. You will not want to put this book down, you will say "Oh just one more chapter" until you finally realise what Matthias must do in his quest to save Redwall Abbey from the marauding army of Cluny the Scourge!
on 16 October 2000
Redwall is a fantastic story about a group of animals who live in an abbey called Redwall. An evil rat called Cluny the Scourge decides he wants the abbey for himself. The abbey creatures refuse to give up their abbey and so he vows he will slay them all. The main character is Matthias. The founder of Redwall abbey (Martin the Warrior) lives through Matthias. Matthias realises that to save the abbey he must find the lost sword of Martin. To do this he must go and talk to Captain Snow and then slay the snake Asmodeus. I think this is a brilliant book. It is full of humor, solemness, mystery and much more. Everyone should read this book and the rest in the series.
on 21 December 2000
The story of Redwall is a majestic mixture of adventure and friendship set in an imaginary world inhabited by animals of the woodlands. In the voices of Brian Jacques et al. these creatures take on an identity and have character unmatched by many a storyteller. The imagery developed in the rich language of the text appeals to young and old as you are swept into the lives of the friends and foes of this woodland community. There is a character for every listener to find a kindred spirit. The determination of each creature, struggles for survival, relationships which unfold, and the lavish descriptions of the forest, the characters, and the food all help to create an experience to be shared. It is a wonderful introduction to a series of books which our family has enjoyed for many years, and which has led to many discussions and activities. I would recommend it for very sturdy and adventuresome listeners ages 6 and up.
on 4 January 2003
Redwall is series of books based around the lives of a group of animals and their fight for good over evil. Each book is packed full of charming, wity and funny characters whose epic adventures will lead you far and wide with plenty of fun on the way.
The whole Redwall series is fantastic, not just for kids but for adults too, read one book and you'll be hooked.
on 2 February 2014
This was one of my very first childhood reads and I'm ashamed to say I'd forgotten all about this series until I was reminded about it within a Goodreads group (thank you, Goodreads!) I quickly went on to Amazon and bought the novel, eagerly awaiting its arrival.

I'm pleased to say it is still one of my favourite books and I'd wished I'd re-read it before embarking on writing my own novels because I think Brian Jacques is a master storyteller. His writing is the perfect blend of humour, grit and description that will universally appeal. It is certainly a children's book but even now at the (young-ish) age of 27 I still loved it and can't wait to read it to my kids. Now, onto the next one!
on 28 November 2005
Even though this is the first book it is my favourite. The riddles are harder to solve, the quest is of more dire need and it all happens around the Abbey. In the new books, although they are still enjoyable, I find myself thinking that Brian Jacques is feeling a bit stretched on the plot basis and is having to go further and further a field to find a story. Basically, everything that needs to be discovered around the Abbey is discovered in this book. I would seriously suggest reading it. Cluny the Scourage is terrifying and Matthais is adorable and although he is a mouse we can identify with him and watch him grow into the Abbey Warrior. It is a must read for anybody.