5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Winslow
I've been reading Don for years now. I came to this after reading the sequel 'Gentleman's Hour' which didn't spoil the enjoyment of this book.

Only hope is that there's a third book to wrap up the loose ends!
Published 20 months ago by Tomtremendous

3.0 out of 5 stars The Dawn Patrol
When I read The Power of the Dog, I knew I had found an author that delivered imagery in an exceptionally powerful way with the use of simple language. Better than James Ellroy. I've since read all of his books (California Fire and Life being the best) and eagerly awaited this release.
Published on 3 Aug 2008 by misterguthrie

3.0 out of 5 stars The Dawn Patrol, 3 Aug 2008
misterguthrie (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dawn Patrol (Paperback)
Sadly, The Dawn Patrol simply didn't work for me. The technical descriptions of surfing just don't take me out on the water, and it feels somewhat contrived to be weaved into the central plot of gangsters and trafficking. Yes, the on shore action is slick and stylish, though even this lacks the depth and complexity of previous stories.
All up, a good holiday read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but........, 20 April 2014
This review is from: The Dawn Patrol (Kindle Edition)
An okay read. The problem with this book is the high standard that Don Winslow has set himself. This book is a perfectly acceptable read but does not match the standards of " The Power of the Dog" or " The Winter of Frankie Machine"

1.0 out of 5 stars hard to believe the writer of Power of the Dog has written such a 2nd rate novel, 22 July 2009
This review is from: The Dawn Patrol (Paperback)
I can't see any point in this book at all, a series of cliches written in Beavis and Butthead surfer language. Is this really the same writer who wrote the mesmerisingly good Power of the Dog? Power of the Dog is so good that I will continue to try more Don Winslow books, but unless you are really into dumbed down surfer fiction this is one to avoid.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm..., 16 Aug 2008
Bill Bell (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dawn Patrol (Paperback)
This book was part Elmore Leonard, part Ross Thomas. But with too much distance to the characters. They really don't matter because you can't get close to them due to the smartness of the structure(a lot of tiny chapeters). And the author seems more interested in given us a lot of history lessons about the development of California then create suspence and action. The book never takes the story serious, but whitout beeing funny. Well, I give another of his books a try, but I'm not that hopeful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheesy, shallow, derivative., 14 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Dawn Patrol (Paperback)
I misguidedly got this out of the library on the basis that apparently, Winslow's 'The Power Of The Dog' is some kind of masterpiece. I was hoping to find it, but they didn't have a copy on the shelves, so I plumped for another of his offerings, hoping that it might be almost as good. All I can say is that Winslow must have knocked this one out while sitting on the toilet, because it is really, really poor.

The characters are all very contrived and flimsy. Our protagonist is a surf-obsessed PI, a former policeman haunted by his past. He is called on by a cringingly unrealistic female British lawyer to investigate the suspicious disappearance of a witness in an arson attack. We meet various clichéd villains, victims, bosom-buddies, ex-love interests, new love interests, without feeling any real connection to them. The story unfolds its twists and secrets at a pedestrian pace, and offers no real surprises along the way. The narrative is interspersed with a history of San Diego and its relationship to surfing, which is all fairly irrelevant, but at least creates a sense of place.

In the end I felt embarrassed for having bothered to finish it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Dawn Patrol (Kindle Edition)
This is a sequel to The Gentlemens' Hour and despite reading these books in the wrong order they were both great. Not quite as viscerally gripping as Savages, I can thoroughly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Winslow, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Dawn Patrol (Paperback)

Only hope is that there's a third book to wrap up the loose ends!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good read if you are familiar with Boon, 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Dawn Patrol (Kindle Edition)
Don Winslow and crime with a coastal backdrop. As usual Don Winslow takes you along with him via Boon and the beach crew in his usual easy to digest and thoroughly entertaining style.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surf Till You Die, 9 July 2008
This review is from: The Dawn Patrol (Paperback)
Don Winslow has fast become my favourite author with his gritty noir crime novels. The likes of 'Power of the Dog' will remain with me for the rest of my life as some of the greatest fiction. Therefore, to say 'The Dawn Patrol' is a weaker than his other work is a disservice as although it is a 4 star, and not 5 star, book, it is still better than the majority of books around.

Boone Daniels is an ex-cop who has turned into a part time PI. He is only interested in earning enough money to be able to live and surf. Over the years he has surrounded himself with passionate and loyal friends who are all in the Dawn Patrol, a group of early morning surfers. They gather together at the start of this novel as a swell is coming. Not only will this swell bring some of the best surfing ever, but another swell will lift Boone onto one of the most dangerous and dark cases of his life. Can Boone find a missing stripper before the waves break, and is their something more sinister afoot?

'The Dawn Patrol' was an excellent book only let down by its slow beginning. However, like most Winslow books he uses this slow build-up to make you care for the characters. I would still have liked the pace to have upped a little as when it does the book comes into its own. The final third is gripping and must be read in one sitting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't it be nice...., 23 Aug 2008
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Dawn Patrol (Paperback)
A Californian ex-cop, turned beach bum, turned PI; only Don Winslow could pass this off: and, for my money, he does it with a style of writing that either you like or it grates.

The nearest I'm likely to get to a surfer's paradise is in my dreams of yesteryear, so, although I found some of the history of both California and surfing a little slow going, I could see the waves, smell the water, feel the heat, hear Brian Wilson and to have a tricky murder or two to solve at the same time just about about does it for me for a summer read.

The author has a true style of his own when creating his characters. I think I'm right in saying that each book covers a different topic. I've read 'Frankie Machine' which I've reviewed and I shall hunt down the others in due course, simply because I enjoy his books. That's pretty much what an author wants from his readers, I guess so you can count me a fan!

For lovers of modern down-beat crime stories with a different flavour, try this one. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The Dawn Patrol
The Dawn Patrol by Don Winslow (Paperback - 2 July 2009)