5.0 out of 5 stars Advanced Lessons in Being Charitable
Published on 27 Dec 2007 by Donald Mitchell

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I have always found Bill Clinton an interesting and thought provoking politician. In his latest book, he takes the opportunity to address the importance of charitable deeds. While there are sprinkles of inspiration and interesting anecdotes, I think this book has some major short comings.

Firstly, surely it is preaching to the choir. I would imagine most people...
Published on 14 Feb 2008 by Alex Ireland

5.0 out of 5 stars Advanced Lessons in Being Charitable, 27 Dec 2007
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
As a retired president of the United States, you can take it easy and enjoy life while drawing big paychecks for speaking . . . or you can start a new career contributing in new ways as Jimmy Carter did. Fortunately, Bill Clinton has aimed his high-powered intellect and passion for the underprivileged towards volunteering and best practice ways of helping those who need it most.

I am very engaged in volunteer activities to develop better ways to help the underprivileged. That work makes it hard for me to keep track of what others are doing. I found that Giving gave me several interesting new ideas for ways I can volunteer and share financial resources.

I also intend to recommend this book to my students who are working on poverty and disease problems in underdeveloped countries. Some of the ideas presented here would be helpful to them as well, such as providing opportunities for those in advanced countries to loan small amounts of money to entrepreneurs in underdeveloped countries.

The chapters are organized around these concepts:

1. Individuals are doing more than ever to help others.
2. You can give money.
3. You can give your time.
4. You can donate items that are needed elsewhere.
5. You can help transfer skills so that others can help themselves.
6. You can help bring peace where there has been none.
7. You can provide gifts that have continuing benefits.
8. You can create ideal methods that others can use to help many more.
9. You can develop and share good ideas.
10. You can assemble economic scale to reduce the cost of helping in either for profit or nonprofit environments.
11. How you can determine how much and what to give.

I also enjoyed reading about an update on Bill Clinton's charitable activities around the world.

I thought of this book as being a lot like a catalog for giving. Many of the sections may not appeal to you. That's all right. You can gain from this book by just reading about what does interest you.

I especially the resource section which gives you a way to check out the giving ideas you like in more detail.

I can see this book as a turn-off for some. Let me describe why:

1. There's a lot in here about what billionaires and hedge fund managers do. Their examples aren't relevant for most people.

2. The style is pretty dry. You won't feel so much passion as having received a data dump in several sections.

3. If you don't have a lot of time, you'll be unsure how the time demands of many of the more interesting choices . . . so you'll find the book inadequate to pick a single area with little effort now.

4. There's a lot of international focus in the book. If your heart draws you closer to home, you may find the book to be a bit thin for your interests.

If you already like to give and want to give more and in better ways, I don't know of a better book for you to start with.

May God bless you as you give.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Feb 2008

Firstly, surely it is preaching to the choir. I would imagine most people who will read this will already give and those that prefer not to just won't bother.

Secondly, he avoids tough philosophical questions pertaining to charitable deeds. For example, sometimes it's better for charities to amalgamate, especially if they are trying to achieve similar goals. All too often they prefer to work independently and waste opportunities to maximize economies of scale. Another question I thought he avoided pertains to the recurring pattern (especially in his book) where people - usually celebrities - feel motivated to give to charities that somehow relate to themselves. For example, Oprah Winfrey sets up a charity for academically gifted but economically disadvantaged girls in South Africa. That's great Oprah, but why is your charity only for women? Surely, we should be trying to help those who need it most not those who we feel easier to relate to.

Another tough question he avoids is the efficiency of charities. Some charities are efficient and make best use of funds, others waste copious amounts of money. It is therefore important not just to give, but to question and examine is what you are giving put to best use?

Finally, as much as I respect both the Clinton's, I couldn't help but feel there's an element of PR in this book. The timing of its release, when Hillary is seeking the highest political office in the US, can't just be a co-incidence.

I think anybody who takes charity and giving seriously may be a little disappointed with this book. I still respect Clinton, but there just is not enough critical analysis in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, 3 April 2010
I found this book so inspiring... mainly because it demonstrated how everyone can really make a difference... and that even if each of us manage to only scratch the itch on the backside of an ant - note to self: do ant's even have backsides? - the cumulative effect builds to be huge. President Clinton is as familiar with a cleaning lady's story of saving through her life to give $150,000 dollars away as he is with the great and the good - and for me this is what makes it real enough for everyone to realise that we each have it in us to make a change for the good around the world.
Susie Briscoe
CEO Acer Group International
CEO Acer Foundation for Global Education & Welfare

5.0 out of 5 stars Give a little cash and get an awesome read!, 27 Aug 2009
J. Houston "jimbob" (Swansea) - See all my reviews
Now let me be honest from the outset- Bill Clinton is a bit of a hero of mine (apologies any Republicans!) I recently read his autobiography and am now in the process of reading Hilary's too.

So if I'm honest i bought this book as the whole products by the same author - BUT wow what a buy!

Bill has a great, warm and friendly style of writing that cant help but draw you in. The book really highlights the amazing work going on in the world from small school projects to massive microloan organisations. It really challenges you to look at your gifts - time, expertise, money and just give a little back and in doing so "each of us can change the world".

I'd DEFINATELY recommend this book to anyone with an interest in giving - or just an interest in Bill! Its a quick read (i finished it on a speedy train journey!) but you come away from it with a real desire to find out more about many of the projects mentioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Advanced Lessons in Being Charitable, 27 Dec 2007
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

The chapters are organized around these concepts:

1. Individuals are doing more than ever to help others.
2. You can give money.
3. You can give your time.
4. You can donate items that are needed elsewhere.
5. You can help transfer skills so that others can help themselves.
6. You can help bring peace where there has been none.
7. You can provide gifts that have continuing benefits.
8. You can create ideal methods that others can use to help many more.
9. You can develop and share good ideas.
11. How you can determine how much and what to give.

I can see this book as a turn-off for some. Let me describe why:

May God bless you as you give.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making a difference in the world, 20 Nov 2007
H. Clinton (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Clinton's books message is great - open our hearts and give where we have the greatest chance of success - and contained a lot of statistics. The book tells us about individuals who manage to get past the corruption and really help, mostly by doing all the work themselves. It's nice to hear about these ordinary people doing extraordinary things. It really opens up the possibilities for all of us wanting to give in ways that can change the world. This was a very well written book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading.
And for a good book of philosophy try Understanding: Train of Thought.

Giving: How Each Of Us Can Change The World
Giving: How Each Of Us Can Change The World by Bill Clinton (Paperback - 7 Aug 2008)
7.07