4.0 out of 5 stars A Weak Spot for Fannie Flagg
Everyone has weak spots when it comes to literature. I love the stories of Fannie Flagg or Patricia Neal to give her real name. Ever since I read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe I have been a fan.

Published on 14 Mar. 2008 by Mr. Peter Steward

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but just too sweet....
Published on 15 Jun. 2007 by Chestnut worm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Weak Spot for Fannie Flagg, 14 Mar. 2008
Mr. Peter Steward "petersteward" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can't Wait to get to Heaven (Paperback)

On the surface Flagg's books have a naive feel to them, but underneath they make a whole host of comments about human nature. By and large her characters are hometown Americans - the salt of the earth. Her books always see good prevail and at times the people are just too good to be true.

But her observations are very sharp and there is wit and humanity running through them all. Last year I found A Redbird Christmas just a little too sentimentally cloying. Can't Wait to Get to Heaven finds a better balance - never becoming over mawkish. I have to day that at one point I did begin to struggle when the main character "dies" and is ushered into the presence of a God who looks surprisingly like a former neighbour. Here the tale stretched reality just too thinly.

Thankfully after skating on the brink, the story pulls itself back to life - just as the main character does. It is essentially the story of Elner Shimfissle, a minor character in some of the previous Flagg novels. One day she falls out of a fig tree, is certified dead at the hospital, meets God, and comes back to life. Yes I know it sounds ridiculous but Flagg just about gets away with it.

The rest of the novel introduces us to many already well known characters from the world of Elmwood Springs and relates just how Elner touched their lives and there is also a mystery story in how peace loving Elner came to have a gun and what the secret is behind it.

As with most of Flagg's books all loose ends are tied up and you get to a point in this novel where you realise that process is just beginning. Although the storyline of this might be more implausible than in many of her novels there is no doubting that once again Flagg has come up with an easy to read moralistic story of everyday country folk.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but just too sweet...., 15 Jun. 2007
I have loved some of Fannie Flagg's other books, especially 'Fried Green Tomaotoes...', and was looking forward to this one. As always, an easy, pleasant read, but perhaps this time just a bit too easy. Fried Green T, "Welcome to the World Baby Girl" and even "Standing in The Rainbow" had enough edge for the sweeteness to work, but I found this one distinctly sacharine. Characters whom I enjoyed in other books seemed self-conciously quirky in this one, and the 'heaven' scenes made my skin crawl. If you just love Flaggs books as a safe place to go, this one will probably work fine, if you enjoy the stronger, more orginal side of her writing, I think this one may disappoint.

3.0 out of 5 stars A tad too coy for my tastes, 14 Aug. 2007
G. Walton "reader in a hat" (Northumberland England) - See all my reviews
Easy to read but I found myself skimming pages rather than holding my breath to find out what happened next. The homespun wisdom and non judgemental tone were familiar but the story lacked bite and substance. To be honest it felt more like a religious tract of the sort that get handed out by strangers on brightly coloured matt paper... but a well written one.

5.0 out of 5 stars a favourite, 12 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Can't Wait to get to Heaven (Paperback)
I'm reading this yet again. I love all Fannie Flagg writings, and I know its silly but I am pretty convinced its 'all real'... a kind of Utopia where the characters are familiar, and you feel you really would be welcome round at Elners place.

its moving and comforting. Hang on past the heavenly bits if they annoy you, because it really is one of those feel-good novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Total Triumph for Fannie Flagg!, 5 Jun. 2007
Geoffrey Woollard (South East Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
My wife and I have both just finished devouring Fannie Flagg's latest and much longer (359 delicious and precious pages) novel - "Can't Wait To Get To Heaven" - and we both laughed out loud dozens of time as we read. We each also pronounced it the most amusing and moving yet and another masterpiece - indeed, a total triumph. The author brings to life - and death - many of the great characters from her earlier books and from 'Elmwood Springs,' Missouri, notably Mrs Elner Shimfissle, 'Neighbor' Dorothy, Macky and Norma Warren, 'poor Tot' Whooten, and some we hadn't across before, such as Boots Carroll, La Shawnda McWilliams, the Reverend Susie Hill, and, of course, the very surprising 'Raymond,' as well as famous pet friends, 'Princess Mary Margaret,' the old cocker spaniel, and 'Sonny,' the name borne by several successive orange cats. Not all are examples of the small-town neighbours and relatives we would all want to know and love: inevitably, the world of the splendid Elner Shimfissle also contains the nasty Winston Sprague, the awful Franklin Pixton, and the 'changed' Gus Shimmer. I have compared Fannie Flagg with Charles Dickens before: in my humble but reverential opinion, the former surpasses the latter by a mile. Her writing is of exceptionally high quality, her ingenuity of thought is mind-blowing, and her book producing is second to none. My wife and I, her devoted English fans from over the Ocean, love Fannie Flagg's books - and "Can't Wait To Get To Heaven" is the best of a great bunch - get it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars feel good book with heavenly recipes too!, 5 July 2008
This review is from: Can't Wait to get to Heaven (Paperback)
Like other readers I found this book quite hard to get into. I put it down after the first few chapters and left it on my book shelf for months. Then one day I picked it up again and I am so glad I did. This time I read it from chapter 4 to the end in just a couple of days. It was wonderful! Full of wisdom and love. Thank you Fannie Flagg!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Wait to Get to Heaven, 3 May 2008
This review is from: Can't Wait to get to Heaven (Paperback)
First Fannie Flagg I've read, but I have loved the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. Love it, if you have ever love and lost someone dear to your heart this book will give you a warm feeling. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, if other reviews say its not her best then I can't wait to read the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking..., 15 Aug. 2007
Sandy Island (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can't Wait to get to Heaven (Paperback)
I loved this book, It took me a while to get into but once I did I couldn't put it down. Elner reminded me so much of Ninny Threadgoode played by Jessica Tandy in Fried Green Tomatoes. I thought the book was thought provoking & comforting in what may lay 'beyond the grave' The characters came alive for me & all in all a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars duvet and hot chocolate book, 8 Jan. 2007
You probably know what your in for when you buy this book, but i was still totally enthralled. Yes its schmaltzy and happy but sometimes it's nice to read something that puts a real smile on your face and a warm cosy feeling inside, and much to my surprise this did it for me. So if your in the mood for a well written, lovely story i would highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely lovely book!, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Can't Wait to get to Heaven (Paperback)
This is absolutely one of my all time favourite books! I've had to buy several copies as I keep lending them to people. I'm not a big reader and struggle with very long descriptive books but this one has the right balance to give you just enough to imagine a scene and keep you entertained with wonderful dialogue. Her characters are so colourful and loveable. There aren't any deep theological points to be made, but a little old Southern woman's simple faith in God and heaven... just slightly turned on it's head a bit! As usual with Fannie Flagg's books -it's beautifully written, sometimes laugh out loud funny and leaves you wanting more. Some of the characters have also appeared previously in her other books - 'Welcome to the World, Baby Girl' and 'Standing in the Rainbow'. One to read, pass on and read again!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Can't Wait to get to Heaven
Can't Wait to get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg (Paperback - 5 July 2007)