5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book
Like many other reviewers here I have read all of the English translations of Murakami's work. I am slightly surprised by the mixed/negative reviews here. At the same time I am a bit disappointed that we all haven't shared the same experience, because I loved this book. I think it is among his best work, and I think that it is a must-read for anyone looking to start on...
Published on 21 Feb 2008 by Cletus

2.0 out of 5 stars Thin Gruel
I read a fair amount of translated fiction, and Murakami is one of those writers I feel like I ought to like, but the few times I've tried, just haven't connected with. This latest novella seemed like another chance to check him out without a huge investment of time. The last book of his I read was his collection of short stories After the Quake, which were unified by...
Published on 18 Feb 2008 by A. Ross

2.0 out of 5 stars A letdown, 9 July 2008
This review is from: After Dark (Paperback)
This is Murakami's slightest offering yet, and a big disappointment. He tries out a new narrative technique in which he uses the third person present voice. This comes across as highly contrived, referring to the narrative point of view as an actual presence, or "a camera". It's like he's writing shooting notes for a film. I really hope that we get another Murakami novel soon and that he goes back to his old style. Boku is sorely missed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tolerable but not his best, 18 Jan 2008
This review is from: After Dark (Hardcover)
Not much of a plot, thinly drawn characters (often a bit of a problem with HM, but more evident without a plot)...one or two interesting settings. It passed a little time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Imagination, 20 Aug 2007
Ray "Take Five" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After Dark (Hardcover)
I know it's not cool to say this but what does it all mean? Eri asleep, Eri asleep on the television, dark shadows moving between the real and the television. None of this seems to link with the main story, which itself is far-fetched. I think the king has new clothes!

1.0 out of 5 stars Indescribably tedious, 11 July 2007
Carl Thompson - See all my reviews
This review is from: After Dark (Hardcover)
Oh, do come off it. Four stars for this??

I've been a great fan of Murakami for many years, and I've generally loved his style and his stories. But in this one, he just doesn't bother: he could have knocked this off in his lunch break.

Just to save you the trouble, there are two main characters in After Dark. One spends the entire book asleep (which tells you something). The other sits in a cafe. Someone comes along and orders a chicken sandwich or whatever. Um ... that's about it. Oh yes, they feed some cats. And somebody gets attacked but, er, that's not mentioned again. The sleeping girl occasionally twitches, but doesn't wake up.

I know exactly how she felt. Never thought I'd say it, but this might just be the most boring book I've ever read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was This Even Murakami?, 1 May 2010
J. Davies - See all my reviews
This review is from: After Dark (Paperback)
My third Murakami novel was fortunately from the library. The concept of this book was welcomed, but the execution lacked any substance that I require from a novel.

I was tempted to stop reading this book around the half-way mark. I continued because of liking the author, and because it was easy to read. The characters and their surroundings had very little characterisation or description.

I had read Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland and Kafka on The Shore which were extremely surreal, fun to read, and had charming characters. This book would of put me off Murakami completely.

I am left questioning the translation of this novel, which is done by a different person.

Perhaps Murakami's strengths that I'm familiar with were kept in the dark. Very disappointing. Murakami newcomers should look elsewhere. 1 star since the author (or his translators) have done better.

3.0 out of 5 stars One for insomniacs, 27 Aug 2007
D. B. Griffin "DeeB" (Middle England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After Dark (Hardcover)
It takes place in one night. Another great Haruki novel though not his best.Beautifully descriptive. Brilliant ending very human.

1.0 out of 5 stars boring!, 16 Sep 2007
This review is from: After Dark (Hardcover)
I'm not one of murakam's fans but i've read most of his work and i like his style. However, this book = nothing to talk about.
One star is more than enough for such a waste of time and money, let alone papers!

After Dark
After Dark by Haruki Murakami (Paperback - 5 Jun 2008)
6.29