Format: PaperbackChange

on 16 June 2011
I was given this book as a present, because it's about middle age. I think I am its target reader.

It wasn't an easy read. I don't mean that in the sense that James Joyce isn't an easy read, or even in the sense that Lolita isn't. It's not the subject matter (I am probably not alone in finding material that so nearly reflects my own situation fascinating) nor the style or structure that's challenging. It's more about how much, and how little, she describes of herself.

A review in Mslexia Magazine commented that the book was too objective and impersonal. I disagree. The style is rather distancing, certainly. It's also prone to metaphor and at times affected. Describing the years 20 to 50, she writes: "Time passes, the seasons turn, the river flows idly; distracted by duty and business we fail to remark a quickening of the current...Then we look up and see that the landscape has altered...the tide has swept us downstream."

But the way she rails at her poor singleton son, at his lax approach to his orthodontistry, admitting her continuing sense of ownership over his body; her shame and titillation at the prospect of being taken seriously as a sexual partner; her solipsistic observations on how and why she remains single, are unbearably exposing. And through her courage we are ambushed into a reflection of these same questions in our own lives.

Shilling isn't likeable in this book. She expects uncomfortably much from her son; she moans on about the drudgery of housework - that's fair enough, none of us actually like it, but with Shilling, not liking housework becomes pathological. "Angry reproaches fell from my lips like the toads and serpents from the mouth of the wicked sister in the Grimms' fairy tale. And I blamed my son for this, as well. I wasn't a harridan by nature, I screamed. It was he who was turning me into one with his contempt for my standards, my wish to live with a degree of grace, to keep our small shared space clean and orderly." But it's impossible not to admire the degree to which she allows herself to be unlikeable.

It's difficult to have sympathy with her self-professed feminism too. She reports having delivered "a stinging feminist lecture on the exploitation of women" and then "picking up one [her son's] lads' mags and discovered that half these semi-naked girls were enthusiastic volunteers, rather than professional glamour models. So now I wasn't quite so sure of my position on naked breasts, especially not the ones belonging to Readers' Girlfriends". Let me get this right - glamour models posing in magazines in return for money - bad; readers bragging pictures of their girlfriends, for free, good. Really?

As I said, it's a book that is sometimes hard to read, but it takes off and justifies itself in the last couple of chapters. Shilling's columnist contract has ended, she hasn't made financial provision, she is a fifty year old woman with the best part of her working life behind her, she doesn't know where to go, what to do next, and her son is still her dependent. Now the crisis of middle age is given meaning; as her place in the grand scheme makes her invisible, so she must get out there,; when her biology suggests it's time to quieten down, worldly necessity thrusts her back into the maelstrom. She puts a sweetly brave face on it, chin-up she tells herself, as she contemplates her melancholy calculation. "Time passes no more swiftly than it did when I was young, but I am haunted by the sense of how little of it is left." That's it, that's the point.
11 comment29 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2011
I found this book gave an amazing insight into the mind of a woman of my age and helped me to come to terms with a number of issues. I particularly found Jane's changing relationship with her son useful as I have two sons of my own. As other readers have found Jane does 'jump' about but I found reading a chapter at a time rather than trying to read it in one marathon session made it easier to absorb.
on 22 February 2011
My sister in law had just put this book down and I picked it up out of interest.
It soon had me spellbound. The book is in effect an extended essay and not a word is wasted. As others have said Ms Shilling is a superb writer and her views on the ageing process are all too true and full of insight whether you be a woman or a man.
I have been wandering around with the book and quoting parts of it to friends. I am very glad that in an idle moment I picked this book up
0Comment24 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2011
There are books you love and books you wish you'd written, and this is one of the latter. I am deeply jealous that Shilling (like me, a journalist, but more successful) wrote this book before I had a chance to, or even thought to. Parts of it are wince-making as you recognise yourself; parts are laugh-out-loud funny; parts unbearably sad. I read it over the course of two days and now that I've finished I have that rather bereft feeling you get at the end of a good novel. I shall certainly pass it among friends, but not until I've read it once more myself. Shilling does not work to make herself likeable in this book, which is admirable - her honesty can at times be very painful, but I am sure that every British woman in mid-life will see herself reflected in these pages.
on 25 March 2011
I am absolutely loving this book. I've already been back to the beginning and started again, so densely packed is the writing that, if you are just reading to turn the page, you miss an awful lot.

Jane's writing is pure mental nourishment, (hence the title of my review). Unlike all the flakey articles about aging gracefully, applying face creams, and the inevitable Botox, Jane tells it as it is, but in the most incredible detail. She spends whole pages analysing her reactions to things, which, as I am about the same age, and have a similar educational background, are just meat and drink to me.

Jane has already saved my marriage. She writes that a "Happiness is a gift, but composure can be learned." Remembering this, I exercised the composure muscles, and defused a potentially marriage-wrecking row, by remaining calm.

This is such a refreshing change from most women's writing. For example, unlike the classic ghastly feminists, Germaine Greer and Simone de Beauvoir to name but two, Jane has actually had a child, and brought him up alone, successfully.

She doesn't moan much (probably because she has never had to live with a husband).

She does go on about clothes a little bit too long (a whole chapter). Clothes have never interested me that much, but I do remember her lovely articles in The Times on the subject, so I realise it is one very dear to her.

A great read, albeit quite highbrow. (I had to get out my Oxford English Dictionary at one point!)
0Comment36 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 March 2011
The Times is the poorer without Jane Shilling's writing, so I was delighted to read the glowing reviews of this excellent, thoughtful book. First rate book club material and a difficult task accomplished with brio. Reflective rather than dispiriting, it deserves a wide readership and excellent sales.
on 29 November 2011
the book meandered around on every subject under the sun, including her childhood, her parent's childhood, horses, work, and only a small part really was how middle age really affected her, so disappointing for me. i felt it was more of a general autobiography than specifically how she dealt with middle age. i don't want to overly-criticise the book but i am at a loss to explain all the fantastic reviews from fellow-journalists, and here on Amazon. so i hope this provides some balance.

one thing i disliked was her limited vision of womanhood represented by herself. though this is a personal account, not "everywoman", i still found the privilege seeping through suffocating. she seemed to assume everywoman has "done" work and motherhood in the middle-class way she has (i find this constantly annoying in these kind of books). has she ever met childless women, for example? obviously they don't exist in her world. there were some insights occasionally but the general tone and context felt pretty miserable to me, for no explicit reasons, which i found perplexing.

there are moments and paragraphs where you can see her candid, steely writing and observational skills, but it didn't really address the topics i would like to have seen addressed more honestly - instead a fey kind of observational style that was sometimes engaging but often obtuse (perhaps a need to protect her private life).

also the whole book just jumped around completely in a scattered way. often paragraphs seemed completely disconnected and often it was impossible to know what, if anything, she was trying to say. why the naked picture of herself on the cover, unnecessary, self-adulating, sets the tone of the book?
on 28 February 2011
While the author is an incredible writer using words to depict menopause that were perfect descriptions of my own personal experience, I feel she failed to go beyond describing this phase of life. I was perhaps expecting more about how she came to terms with this period of her life and/or made peace with being a woman growing older in a culture that revels in the beauty of young women.
VINE VOICEon 9 February 2012
This book is about a persons view of reaching middle age, whatever age that is!! (I should note that I am 44, an age which may be similar to most people reading this book).
There are many descriptions which are familiar, some comforting and others less comfortable. The stories and feelings are recounted with great detail giving warm impressions that I am not alone in my thoughts.
On the down side, there are many times where the author wanders too far off her topic and I found my attention going too, although usually after a few pages I was brought right back. It is interesting to hear about a persons life but it is a fine line to getting into too much detail about someone who I'm not too interesting in. I like to hear about her feelings but am not too interested in her life history.
Despite the ramblings there are many parts of the book which will connect with women of a certain age. I particularly found the relationship with her son interesting.
on 21 February 2012
Disappointed but I did finish the book. Had read the review in the Daily Mail and somehow expected it to be a more general (and perhaps humorous) observation of "that time in our lives". It did seem to spend a lot of time on Jane Shilling's personal life. Dare I say it? I found it a little tedious in places - maybe I had been misled by the review.