4.0 out of 5 stars Harry Hole returns
Jo Nesbo's last 3 books were almost like a Trilogy, ending with Devils Star, so I was intrigued to find out what was going to happen next in Harry Hole's life.
The Redeemer does not disappoint. It's really the start of a new beginning. There's a new police chief for starters and inevitably he clashes with Hole.
I won't give too much away about the story except...
Published on 27 Mar 2009 by Stella

2.0 out of 5 stars Left Me Cold, Literally
I did not enjoy this book. It hovered somewhere between not interesting or exciting enough to capture my imagination but yet not bad enough to abandon. I have given it two stars because I suspect that it may have just been a personal preference issue as opposed to being badly written or constructed. I found the writing quite clinical and the only really vivid bits of...
Published on 20 May 2012 by suggsygirl

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars "[Being a Redeemer] is God's job...If God doesn't do His job, though, someone else has to do it.", 8 Feb 2011
Mary Whipple (New England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Redeemer: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 4): 6 (Paperback)
Man's compulsion to do what he considers good and right, even though it requires him to act in ways that society and the law consider morally and legally wrong, permeates this book on all levels, with several characters assuming this role of "Redeemer" in their actions throughout the novel. Norwegian author Jo Nesbo, in this fourth novel of the Harry Hole series to become available in English, introduces three seemingly disparate plot lines in this thriller set in Oslo--a hired assassin from Croatia is fulfilling contract killings in Europe and has just arrived in Oslo for his last job; the Salvation Army, its officers and soldiers, are trying to fulfill their mission by providing food, clothing, and shelter to those most in need of their help, no questions asked, and they are seeking some new leadership; and Harry Hole, an alcoholic police inspector, who is sometimes off-the-wagon, is still trying to find the Big Boss behind the gun-running and related crimes which brought down one of his fellow police inspectors in The Devil's Star, the previous novel in this series.

Murders link the three plot lines, which quickly begin to overlap. To add to the complexity (and sometimes confusion) of this very complex mystery, there are a number of characters who are similar. In the Salvation Army subplot, two brothers look almost identical, and both are in love with the same woman, though one of them may be a dangerous sadist. The woman, Thea, is also a member of the Salvation Army, and her brother Rikard is a major player. Another attractive young woman, the daughter of the Salvation Army Commander, is also involved in the romantic angles, and it is easy to mix up these characters, especially when their roles overlap.

The assassin who has come to Oslo has a characteristic called "hyperelasticity," which enables him to mimic with his facial structure, a number of different facial types, and descriptions of this person vary significantly when he commits a murder, raising questions about his true identity. In the third plot, Harry himself is still not exactly stable. Though he seems to be reconciled with the fact that his long-time love, Rakel, has written him off as an unacceptable suitor, Rakel's young son clearly still loves Harry, and Harry seems to be still pining for Rakel. Professionally, he must deal with an attack on one of his men.

Nesbo is a compelling writer, one who has completely mastered the art of creating suspense and propelling the action along. In this novel he does something new, however, creating short action scenes in which he does not always identify the main character, presenting information for the reader to process and hold in the back of his/her mind till another piece of the puzzle is revealed to connect with it. Harry Hole might ring a doorbell, for example, and in the immediate next scene, another person entirely will be about to answer the door. This is a clever technique for involving the reader, but it does sometimes create confusion by forcing the reader to backtrack to keep all the characters and their immediate stories straight. Eventually, the loose ends get tied up, but the extent to which the resolutions are realistic is an open question, and some readers may lose track of all the issues before the conclusion. Nesbo does reflect much of the atmosphere of Oslo and the attitudes of the police, as he has in the past, but overall he has a less broad sociological focus here. Exciting and atmospheric, the novel's scope seems to be narrower than in the previous novels.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unredeemed, 25 Jun 2010
Michael Ward (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is my fourth Jo Nesbo book and that should tell you how much I enjoyed the first three, but unfortunately I found this one less absorbing and too complex. I hate that feeling three quarters of the way through a book when a character is mentioned and one has no idea who is that person is and one has to flick back and forth to try and work out who or what is important. Harry Hole did his usual trick, this time perhaps with a bit more sympathy than before, but I regret that this is the bottom of my Nesbo favorite list. Still worth it but not the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wear Warm Clothes when Reading this Book, 7 Sep 2014
The more I read of Jo Nesbo’s writings, the more amazed I become at this man’s talent. The Redeemer again provides us with another of Nesbo’s usual brilliantly plotted, multi-layered mysteries, fascinating, absorbing and complex. We can take that for granted with Nesbo. A wonderful story; a fantastic read.

But now I begin to notice the world in which the mysteries are set, a large and real world, peopled with real people going unconsciously about their daily lives, atmospheric, brooding and freezing cold. So aware is the writer of the winter season during which the murders take place, so realistic is the writing, that I am tempted to advise any reader to wear warm clothing while reading this book.

Then there is Harry Hole, a complex character, full of surprises. Attempting in this story to reform his alcoholism (at times failing), he reveals an erudite and well-read side to his persona as well as his remarkable gift for operating on the fringes of imperceptible truths that are totally invisible to everyone else. Here is a truly memorable character, another of literature’s great creations to rival Poirot, Morse or Holmes. One day there has to be a TV series, or a movie, and Harry Hole will become a household name.

Effortlessly, seamlessly, while the detectives detect, the world of the book grows around the story while the writing is filled with trenchant observations about life, love, death and living. A tour de force. I cannot recommend this author highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE BEST, 30 Aug 2014
Somehow, The Redeemer is less satisfying than the other Jo Nesbo novels that I've rad but it's difficult to put my finger on why. Having read, and loved, The Son, I began to read all of the other Nesbos in chronological order. My own feelings differ a little from those of some other reviewers in that they seem to consider the first two books as inferior while I think that the first books were among the best I've read. The later books, up to The Devil's Star, can be a bit patchy and my other reviews have covered that. Don't get me wrong; I have enjoyed every one of them, it's just that some are better than others.

The world of Harry Hole is bleak, grey and without much cheer and this is especially so for those stories set in Oslo. This depression is, of course, just what Mr Nesbo intended and is part of allure; Harry can rise above the adversity. In The Redeemer, that monotone bleakness reaches new depths and I'm running out of sympathy for Harry's sheer self destructiveness. I had commented, previously, on a somewhat repetitious story line in all of these books and I'm pleased to see that The Redeemer has escaped form most of that. Although, having said that, being Harry's partner does seem to be as dangerous as sitting next to Miss Marple in a train as it approaches a tunnel.

So why did I find this novel less engaging than the others? Well, for a start, unlike the other novels, in which the story flowed and each surprise or revelation came naturally, in The Redeemer it felt as though Mr Nesbo had jotted down a number of events and connections, then some contrived twists and had then clothed them in a thin story. It was far too convoluted and contrived for its own good. Then there is a device not used before. In the other books, on the whole (no pun intended) the reader discovers clues at the same time as Harry and you are challenged to work out the solution just as Harry does. Here, vital information and clues turn up and, although the reader knows that they have arrived, you are not privy to their secrets. So a character will receive a mystery phone call, or a written note or will see something and the reader is told this, but not what it is that has been revealed. At the end, when it is revealed, I felt a sense of "Well, I would worked it out too if I'd known that!". To me, it was cheating. However, the revelation of the identity one of the 'Kings' behind 'The Prince' did take me by surprise even though I kicked myself afterwards for not spotting it. Even that was another step into gloomy despair!

There was one element that I enjoyed greatly and that was the nature of the assassin. Hollywood has schooled us to believe that every international assassin is suave, hugely wealthy and has vast resources available to him all over the world. This time, the assassin is just about the total opposite and is so thrifty that he buys his clothes at charity shops. The imperfections in the main villain are vital to the story but I enjoyed them in their own right.

So, although this was still a really good read, it was just too manufactured and manipulated to be as enjoyable as others. It's like comparing a manufactured boy band to a great, natural, singing talent. In the week that Kate Bush returned to the stage, it's like comparing her to The Monkeys. Both were good, but only one was great.

But this won't stop me from reading the next in line, The Snowman because, even on a bad day, Jo Nesbo beats most other crime writers hands down. And this is still worth a solid four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly Good, 8 Mar 2009
Simon Clarke (Hackney, London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is the fourth novel featuring Inspector Harry
Hole to be published in English.It is the best to date, brim
full of unexpected twists and turns and suspense until the end.
Hole is dealing with what seems to be a case of suicide
of a drug addict which involves the Salvation Army in his enquiries.Coincidentally an active member of the Salvation Army
is then shot.The assassin is a Croatian ,known as the 'little redeemer',and when he thinks he has shot the wrong person ,he desperately tries to make amends,persued by Hole and his team.Interspersed in the exciting
plot,we learn much more about the troubled Harry Hole,who is fast becoming one of the most interesting characters in modern crime fiction
A breathtakingly good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jo Nesbo : The Redeemer, 22 May 2009
Jan Janula "Jan" (Malta, EU) - See all my reviews
Excellent book, its another Harry Hole mystery story.The story is rather unusual and original. The end is very surprising. There is hunt after Croatian assassin, but things are not as they seem. Strongly recommended, looking forwards for the next one from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars I know that my Redeemer liveth and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.", 13 Sep 2013
Leonard Fleisig "Len" (Virginia Beach, Virginia) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It is Christmas week in Oslo. The streets are filled with shoppers getting ready for the holidays. A small crowd gathers around a Salvation Army band giving a Christmas concert. A shot rings out and the next thing you know a Salvation Army officer is lying dead on the street. Inspector Hole, Nesbo's troubled and lonely police inspector is on the job. Revealing too much of the plot is probably not a good idea for a Nesbo book. One of the pleasures of reading Nesbo's work is seeing how the plot develops. However, I don't think it will spoil much to say that there are one or possibly two plot lines at work here. There may be a professional killer on the loose and there may be a sociopathic killer on the loose. They may be separate individuals or it may be just one.

As the story develops you gradually see Hole's thought and investigative processes at work. He is a troubled man dealing with troubled individuals and groups. The development of the plot and its resolution were each very well drawn and very satisfying.

I liked a number of things about The Redeemer. First and foremost was the plotting. The action starts right away but Nesbo paces the development in a manner that kept me involved and kept me guessing. Some aspects I `got' pretty early on but there were enough twists and turns to keep me guessing and engaged.

Second, and critically for me, you have Inspector Hole taking a critical look at two faces of evil. It is a nuanced look and not one painted with a broad, stereotyped brush. Hole's exploration of both those faces colors his actions and responses to the investigation, the witnesses and the suspect(s). There may be no heroes, but in an imperfect world Hole is forced to make choices,any one of which may properly be cast as choosing between the lesser of two evils.

The writing is brisk, the characters (especially Hole and his colleagues on the force) are portrayed in what appears to me to be a very real fashion and the ending was satisfying and entertaining. All in all, I very much enjoyed The Redeemer. Fans of Nesbo will certainly like it. Fans of "Scandinavian noir" will certainly like it. And fans of good detective fiction will certainly like it.

Jo Nesbo's The Redeemer is another excellent addition to the Inspector Harry Hole series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Harry Hole, 24 April 2013
A good page turner but if you read too many of his escapades they do get a bit monotonous.
Will have to wait a while before I read another.

3.0 out of 5 stars My first time, 20 Jan 2013
This is the first Jo Nesbo novel I have read and I didn't realize that it was part of a series of Harry Hole mysteries which made the beginning a little sketchy. However, after I gathered the premise I enjoyed the story a lot more. It had the necessary twist and turns and a good amount of red herrings and by the end I felt satisfied that I had read a good story and there were no loose ends. The translation leaves something to be desired as there are a lot of errors however they didn't detract from the experience overall. It certainly won't be my last Jo Nesbo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version - Redeeming Features, 9 Feb 2012
Probably my least favourite of the Hole series and yet I still enjoyed it thoroughly.

I had a problem with the Kindle version of this in that the first quarter of the novel was really hard to follow. Chapters were not defined properly and partitions were not used to separate the action. As a result, I had Harry getting off a train in Oslo and seemingly ending up in Prague outside someone's house. Once I had re-read the peculiar bits and started to understand it a bit better, I enjoyed it more.

This novel basically starts afresh from the ending of The Devils' Star, which seemed to tie up the 'trilogy'. We have a new police chief and a few new faces who will take us through the series. Main plotline centres around the murder of a Salvation Army type at a rally by persons unknown. I found the mystery hit man to be a little far fetched, but his history fascinating.

On the whole a good enjoyable read. Disappointed with the Kindle formatting but overall happy with purchase.

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

The Redeemer: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 4): 6
The Redeemer: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 4): 6 by Jo Nesbo (Paperback - 15 Oct 2009)