5.0 out of 5 stars Acting up
I got all excited when I saw that there was another book published by the late, great Melissa Nathan. I was disappointed to see that Acting up is another name for her book Pride, Predjudice and Jasmin Field.

Melissa Nathan was a fantastic writer and I have read all of her books, including this, and they are fantastic.

She is terribly missed.
Published on 7 April 2008 by M. JThompson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good holiday read
It was an easy holiday read, just prefer other books by this author. Would recommend this book. Love it on the kindle
Published 7 months ago by Samantha Louise Swinson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars bit of a let down, 19 April 2008
This review is from: Acting Up (Paperback)
Was really looking forward to reading this.. but much as i hate 2 say it, it left me a little bored at times! Also leading lady Jazz left me feeling very iritated! She really annoyed me at times and felt the whole thing dragged on! have loved the previous books by the late Mellisa Nathan just feel this was not up to her previous standards.. sorry!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading and lighthearted, 1 April 2008
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Acting Up (Paperback)
Melissa Nathan had written The Nanny before this novel and it was published in 2003. I had read the previous Melissa Nathan book and fell in love with her type of writing because the books are such easy reading.

We meet Jazz who is a journalist but she takes on the lead in a play even though she isn't an actress. The man running the production is the famous Harry Noble who everyone seems in awe of, all except Jazz. She manages to get herself in all sorts of trouble and is determined to make him see that he is nothing special just because he is a "Hollywood Actor". Her role as a journalist and an actress makes for some funny reading. Everything is building up to that final performance, however with the betrayal of her best friend, her sudden but hopefully temporary amnesia and her life in general everything looks like it might go wrong on her big night.

Yes, this book is a little bit predictable but there's almost a comfort in knowing that it goes the way you want it to. Its a typical Chick-lit book and if you read the likes of Jill Mansell and Cathy Kelly read this book, it will be just your cup of tea.I finished this in a matter of hours and absolutely fell in love with the character Jazz. It is a heartwarming and funny book which is so easy to read and I loved it.

As I am editing this review in 2009, some people may or may not know that sadly Melissa Nathan lost her battle with cancer. Below you can find a list of books that she published in her sadly short life.

The Nanny - April 2003
The Waitress - August 2004
The Learning Curve - August 2006
Persuading Annie - July 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Aug 2014
Hopefully has good ?

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite a 5*, 27 Jun 2012
This review is from: Acting Up (Paperback)
I enjoyed it but there was something lacking for me to give the book a 5*. I have never read Pride & Prejudice or seen any film or TV adaption so that aspect never got in the way for me but a good story nevertheless

3.0 out of 5 stars Prejudice and Prejudice, 8 Sep 2008
M. J. Saxton (Dewsbury, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Acting Up (Paperback)
I so wanted to love this book, to find it so funny and such an accurate dissection of my own profession. I didn't and it wasn't. It was readable; don't get me wrong, and enjoyable in parts. Well worth buying at discount price.

The characters are just too shallow; we don't get to know them in any depth. We get to know two sides of them: the side that Jazz recognises and the side that she misses and finds out about later.

Melissa Nathan has written a book with two sides like a coin. This was a problem with "The Nanny" when I read that. There is a superficiality that the author is continually trying to cover. She does this with anecdote and back-story, but that doesn't make the reader feel they understand her characters at any intimate level.

It is possible to sympathise with Harry Noble when you find out what happened in his past, but it is a sort of "oh, right, not a nice position to be in" rather than identifying at an emotional level. You know he a Jazz are going to get together from the off, and you are always aware that the "obstacles" to their relationship are illusory and will disappear at the stroke of the author's keyboard. They do.

OK, but not really good enough.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Acting Up
Acting Up by Melissa Nathan (Paperback - 27 Mar 2008)
5.99