5.0 out of 5 stars A clever parody
Published on 2 Dec. 2007 by M. Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Such a let down after her first novel
I really enjoyed Ms Nathan's first novel, and had high hopes of this one. But try as I did to like it, I thought it never really got off the ground. I lost count of the number of times characters overheard conversations it seemed to be the only way the plot ever advanced. In the end it all got a bit repetitive and I was glad when the book was finished. Along the way there...
Published on 31 Jan. 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A clever parody, 2 Dec. 2007
M. Robinson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
I've only just discovered this book, and see from previous reviews that its created a bit of angst amongst Jane Austen followers. I dont know what media advertising launched Persuading Annie, but I really dont believe Melissa Nathan was ever trying to be the new Jane Austen. What she has done in this very funny book is to create a clever parody of Jane Austen's Persuasion. And I mean parody in the true sense of the word ie 'a comic or satirical imitation of a work of a particular writer.' Personally, as a committed Jane Austen fan and one who has read Persuasion many times, my main delight has been to compare specific incidents in the two books, and see how Melissa Nathan has treated them. For instance, in the genteel 19th century, little Charles Musgrove has a bad fall and dislocates his collar bone; in today's 21st century young Harry Norman shoves an entire toy fire-engine ladder up his nose and ends up in A&E. The subsequent adult behaviour in both centuries is the same. Brilliant! I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and am now looking forward to reading Pride, Prejudice & Jasmin Field which I understand is being relaunched in Spring 2008 retitled Acting Up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spare me the Critics, 18 April 2008
Catherine L. Harrison (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
This is my favourite one out of all of the books.

I can't be doing with people who actually take chic-lit seriously and come over all "Edger Allan Poe" - chic-lit is what it is - something to take you away for an enjoyable break from real life - can you really beat a rainy afternoon and a good book - It's not real you know folks!

5.0 out of 5 stars ooooh. Who knew that "Wentworth" was THAT angry?, 28 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Hardcover)
Of course, we don't know that Wentworth was really so terribly ticked off at poor Anne Elliot in Jane Austen's "Persuasion". I always figured the original Wentworth was just really, really hurt (haven't we all been there) and found the story of "Persuasion" one of lovely redemption through love. Well, boy howdy, "Pursuading Annie" is also a story of redemption, but there's a lot of 21st century angst, anger, and infantile behavior too. Ultimately, "what really matters" is discovered and cherished - and don't let the prospect of a "Wentworth" (Jake) with a gut full of anger and a bemused analyst (!) turn you off the book. It's really funny and once again Melissa Nathan does a wonderful job of paralleling the plot of Austen's original work (as she did in "Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field") but adding fresh contemporary touches. I actually preferred Annie in this book to the original Anne Elliot - heresy, I know. (And that's a battle to fight over on the Austen-L listserv or Republic of Pemberley Web site!) So, although the story is darn close to "Persuasion's" plot, there's enough that's different to keep you turning the page. I certainly stayed up much later than I should have last night. I think the greatest compliment I can pay is that you even care (or are interested in) the characters that are obviously meant to be "bad" - it's that way with Jane Austen's works and it's that way in "Persuading Annie". No, it's not Jane Austen - but it's a clever, witty, contemporary novel that carries the same moral as "Persuasion". Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of laugh out loud moments, 12 Nov. 2009
Amazon Customer (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this one. I have to admit that the plot is pretty regular for a chick-lit novel, but what makes it special is Melissa's style of writing. Although we meet loads of characters throughout the novel, Annie has a fabulous and unique personality and Melissa really gets inside her head. Annie is a very witty character and what made me pick this book up every day when I got home every day was the hilarious comments intersperced throughout the novel. Yes, the storyline is pretty average for this genre - and will be even more familiar to the Austen fans out there as this is based on 'Persuasion' - but there are some real characters in this novel and some fantastic quotes. It's also a very quick and easy read, so just what is needed for inbetween serious novels or heavy workloads. Sweet, witty and easy-going - my only complaint is that I only have two more novels by Melissa Nathan left to read! It's so sad that she died at such a young age as - if her writing goes to show anything - it sounds like she was a lovely, fun person.

5.0 out of 5 stars she was amazing, 1 Jan. 2008
Ms. E. L. Rudd (Canterbury, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
i have read every book that melissa wrote i could get hold of, including shorter stories in anthologies. i was so sad to hear that she has in fact died. she was an amazing woman and her husband writes a beautiful forward in this book. PLEASE READ ANYTHING YOU CAN WRITTEN BY HER! she was amazing and her books should reflect this x

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful ... a joy!, 22 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
What a wonderful read! I loved Ms Nathan's first book but somehow this was even better. This book has Nathan's hallmark wit (in fact "wit" doesn't describe it - it's hilarious!) and at the same time is thought-provoking, wise, incredibly insightful (it was like she had been observing my marriage and relationships) and really quite helpful! I suspect that the reviewer below who didn't think much of it, didn't actually 'get it'. The theme is clearly one of communication - how hard it can be and yet how easy it is, how it can be a tremendous help or a huge drain. But don't be fooled into thinking this is going to be dull - the plot is just gripping. I was cooking dinner whilst reading the last 50 pages. I couldn't put it down. I just loved this book and can't wait for the next.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, 8 Mar. 2001
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
I'm inbetween the other reviewers - I certainly enjoyed the book, but I didn't think it was quite as good as Pride, prejudice and Jasmin Field, largely because I didn't think Jake was as well drawn as 'Mr Darcy'. But then maybe that's because I don't know Persuasion backwards like I do P&P. Still, very enjoyable, and Annie is a very likeable heroine. Melissa Nathan has hit a winning formula here - I would make just one plea: don't do an update of Mansfield Park!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, funny and extremely enjoyable, 17 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
Profound and perceptive, witty and wise, Persuading Annie has a gripping narrative which is beautifully resolved. I really cared about each character from the first page. It's full of delightfully funny observations about human frailties and triumphs and was a joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good, 17 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
I loved this author's first ove, Pride Prejudice and Jasmin which is based on Price and Prejudice. This new book is based on Persuasion and is equally good. Set in the present day the plot is very contemporary and the characters extremely memorable. Definitely gret fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars When's the next one coming out?, 19 April 2001
This review is from: Persuading Annie (Paperback)
I liked the first book by Ms. Nathan but thought that this one was even better. The characters were likable and the plot was highly entertaining. I actually tried to slow my reading down so the book wouldn't end so fast. I can't wait for the next book from Nathan.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Persuading Annie
Persuading Annie by Melissa Nathan (Paperback - 2 Aug. 2007)