4.0 out of 5 stars Shark Music
Published on 4 April 2007 by Daniel R. Cramer

2.0 out of 5 stars Too long, too unreal
I am a fanatic of psychological crime stories with Ruth Rendell being my absolute favourite. This book was too long and too ... loose. I have not read the previous books but it felt that there were many things assumed to be known at the beginning so I was completely lost for more than 100 pages. I lost track of people and places and the storyline. I am still not sure just...
Published on 4 Jan 2008 by Anna

4.0 out of 5 stars Shark Music, 4 April 2007
This review is from: Shark Music (Paperback)
As a fan of Carol O'Connell and her Mallory series I am disappointed to see Amazon.co.uk inviting/persuading us to buy both Shark Music and Find Me ( also by Carol O'Connell) for a combined price of £19.34 since from Synopsis of Shark Music and the reviews of Find Me they appear to be the same book, apart from the title and publisher and the fact that Shark Music is a paperback.

I hope I am wrong but as someone who has had the misfortune to land up with the same book with different titles because of such an error on the Amazon.co.uk website I suggest possible purchasers should beware of buying the package.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Shark Music' & 'Find Me', 13 Jun 2007
L. Leary (Lancs. UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shark Music (Paperback)
This is a wonderful Mallory novel but please note that I bought this and 'Find Me' and both turned out to be the same novel under 2 different titles. I have never encountered this before but the story, characters, plot etc. were identical. I can only assume that the book was published first under one title then the title changed for the second publication. That aside it is a great story and Mallory as enigmatic as ever, her journey down Route 66 evoking a lot of musical memories. The plot is fascinating and I never knew the 'baddie' until the end.

Just don't buy both books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is this the last of Mallory?, 13 Dec 2009
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shark Music (Paperback)
I love O'Connell's Mallory series because of the enigmatic and most probably psychotic Mallory herself. But the plots are sometimes a bit arbitrary and this one is, as another reviewer has said, very loose and almost an add-on to Mallory's own journey, both physical and emotional.

A woman has been found dead in Mallory's apartment, possibly a suicide, and Mallory herself has disappeared. Riker and Charles track her and find her caught up in a serial murder investigation (of course) that crosses America along the legendary Route 66. Families of missing children have gathered spontaneously and are also travelling the road but adults are starting to be killed and the murderer might be amongst them.

The real heart of the book is Mallory's search for the truth about her parents. I don't want to say too much but this is what gives the story its resonance and what holds it together, with the murder story feeling almost incidental. It seems to me that O'Connell has really stretched herself in this book which doesn't quite come off but is still probably a risk worth taking. There's something almost poetic about the imagery of America mourning its lost children, a suitable background to Mallory's own story.

So if you're looking for a fast-paced thriller this might not suit: but for Mallory fans interested in her psyche this is a great addition to the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mallory's finest hour yet, 20 Nov 2007
Ray Blake (Hemel Hempstead, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Shark Music (Paperback)
I've followed the Mallory series from the beginning. Just when you believe you know all there is about this most compleling character and her backstory, Carol O'Connell pulls the carpet out from under you completely.

This one starts with Mallory AWOL. She has left behind a dead woman in her apartment and taken to the old Route 66 road with a bundle of letters which have something to do with the dead woman. Meanwhile, it is becoming clear that a serial killer has an enduring bond to this road, too. It seems that the FBI have a peculiar approach to the case. Once Mallory interests herself in the case, it is clear that it will only end in one way.

A complex and satisfying novel, this is the best Mallory yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A1 O'Connell, 19 July 2007
This review is from: Shark Music (Paperback)
Carol O'Connell has got to be one of the greats: such a shame she's not more widely known over here in England. Yes, Shark Music and Find Me are the UK and US releases of the same novel: cf. The Man Who Cast Two Shadows and The Man Who Lied to Women, which are the US and UK editions of the same novel.

Buy this novel and ENJOY! Then get all the others and ENJOY THEM TOO!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: Shark Music (Kindle Edition)
This book was great. I love Carol Oconnell's books. The character Malory is so complex I'm just as interested in her story as I am about the plot. I can't wait to read the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The highest standard, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Shark Music (Kindle Edition)
Carol O'Connell is one of my favourite authors and she hasn't disappointed in this book. There is great depth to the story with Mallory once again sweeping all before her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carol O'Connell kept me guessing right to the end, 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: Shark Music (Paperback)
A few of Carol O'Connell's previous books about Kathy are amongst my all time favourite reads, and I've read them several times over the last ten years. There is something so real about the character Kathy that makes her stick with me for weeks after I've finished each book, still feeling so many emotions when I think of her continuing story. This is my first time with Shark Music and I just couldn't put it down. Right up to the very end I wasn't sure where it was going, or where Kathy would end up. And the ending didn't disappoint. It was pure magic!

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning road trip!, 15 Jan 2012
This review is from: Shark Music (Kindle Edition)
I first read this four years ago. On re-reading I had forgotten how gripping and good it is. O'Connell's writing and convoluted plots and brilliant characters are second to none!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait, 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: Shark Music (Paperback)
Carol O'Connell is not the most prolific of authors so it has been a long wait for the next book featuring the wonderful Mallory. She's such an amazing character and following her though the series has been brilliant. Each story is so carefully constructed with interesting secondary characters and back story and this lives up to expectations. She's difficult to review without giving away plot points so just try this one out for yourself as Mallory goes missing as she travel along Route 66 in search of her past. If you enjoy it there is a whole back catalogue of Mallory waiting for you on Amazon so you have a treat in store.
Beware the habit of her publishers in renaming her US editions in the UK. Like other reviewers I've been caught out in the past and have bought the same book twice. It seems very unfair that Amazon, who must be aware of this issue, don't put an automatic warning on retitled books. I wonder how many of us bother to complain or to return books when caught this way?

Shark Music
Shark Music by Carol O'Connell (Paperback - 1 May 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01