Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 September 2014
NIce present
on 1 March 2011
Incredibly dull, like most latter-day Rendells. Her last good book was The Keys to the Street -- and that's some time now. Best avoided.
on 8 August 2008
I am a great fan of Ruth Rendell's psychological approach and prefer her stand alone novels to her Wexford ones. There were many wonderful aspects to The Water's Lovely, however two aspects jarred with me a little and I felt strangely dissatisfied at the end. Ismay's realisation of the name was seemed incredibly contrived. How she could make the connection she did was somewhat fantastical in my opinion. And the twist at the end was in some ways ingenious and yet, that also seemed like Ms Rendell was being too clever.

This isn't her best by a long way...I don't think I'll ever forget the genius of The Keys to the Street. This book is still miles ahead of most of the fiction out there today though.

Recommended but she has written better.
on 21 July 2013
I started reading this in the hotel library when on holiday and had to download it to my Kindle when I returned home. Ruth Rendell keeps you guessing until the end and then springs another surprise.
on 17 August 2007
I was really disappointed with this novel, and found the first half or so quite ponderous, laboured, and lacking much tension. The characters to me were not especially credible and I found myself not really caring too much what became of them.
on 4 April 2012
Ruth Rendell at her best with an intriging mix of personalities and a dark, disturbing, secret which finally, painfully, coomes to the surface.
on 2 November 2014
Interesting but guessed. the finish. Would recommend for an easy read or for a first time mystery read. Thank you
on 4 December 2012
Good read ,several different plots going on at the same time compelling you to read on, to discover who did what
on 16 September 2015
Great read,several stories combined superbly in one book. Loved it
on 20 January 2015
As usual Ruth Rendell gripping!