5.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, the last wonderful book from a wonderful author
This book was, as with all of Melissa Nathan's books, an absolute joy to read. The characters were likeable and interesting and there were many of those laugh-out-loud moments that we all need sometimes.

Published on 28 July 2006 by L. Humphreys

3.0 out of 5 stars Had its moments
Published on 6 Aug 2008 by Net

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, the last wonderful book from a wonderful author, 28 July 2006
L. Humphreys - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Learning Curve (Paperback)

I was very saddened to read of Melissa's death earlier on in the year and wish to send my deepest condolences to her family. Her books brought delight to many readers, and for that we are all very grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatly Entertaining, 27 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Learning Curve (Paperback)
The wonderful tale of a school-teacher and the decisions she has to make in life. Utterly compulsive if slightly predictable. A great holiday read with enough twists to leave you satisfied and hooked on continuing.

This is the first novel I read by Melissa Nathan, but not the last. A great legacy she left behind for so many to enjoy- I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A different outlook on chick-lit, 14 Aug 2007
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Learning Curve (Paperback)
A modern take on Elizabeth and Mr Darcy, the learning curve applies to Nicky Hobbs and Mark Samuels. Oscar, his 10 year old son is the key to both of their lives as he moves into his last year at primary and has Miss Hobbs as his new teacher.

A lovely story with characters that can be fully related to. Every work place has some of these! Having only read 'The Nanny' before this I will definitely be seeking her previous work. Sadly due to her death there will be no more of these wonderfully cosy novels.

Easy to read with a no nonsense ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!, 15 Feb 2007
This review is from: The Learning Curve (Paperback)
A refreshing read. I had never read any of Melissa's books and was given this book as a present. I really did enjoy it. Definitely a book I couldn't wait to get back to. I was never bored, never skipped a page and I was actually sorry when I reached the end. The characters were very real, with thoughts and feelings I think we can all relate to. An absolute pleasure to read.

I have purchased her previous novels and can't wait to read them now. I hope they will be just as delightful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 14 Oct 2006
Nicola Armstrong "nikki2003" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Learning Curve (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book. I was captivated from the word go! I read it within a matter of a few days, once staying up 'till half past 3 in the morning because i couldn't put it down!

I'd never heard of this author before and was very shocked when i read the first page, which i had previously skipped because i was so excited about reading the book, and discovered she had past away. My heart goes out to her family!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 31 Aug 2006
L. Swift "Lisa S" (Leicester,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Learning Curve (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, and it was the first one of Melissa Nathans I have read. I was also very saddened to hear that she passed away shortly after finishing it. It was a great book, very entertaining, hard to put down sometimes, you get quite caught up in the characters! I will be reading The Waitress next.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great author, who will be sadly missed - thank you, 14 Aug 2006
B. Cook (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
Having loved all her previous books i waited eagerly for this one to be released, the acknowlegements in the front of the book were extremely poignant and left me in tears so i was surprised i was able to get into the book so easily and enjoy the story so much.

It was very hard to put it down the characters are so human the story unfolds in a natural and easy way with plenty of laughs along the way. I'm so sorry we have lost such a good author at such a tragically young age, condolences and best wishes to her family.

3.0 out of 5 stars Had its moments, 6 Aug 2008
Net (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Learning Curve (Paperback)
I really wanted to love this book but found it didn't quite hit the spot for me. It was sweet and contained some funny one-liners but was entirely too long, it really could have been half the length. As a result it felt a bit rambling and became frustrating, as I just wanted to skip the detailed narrative and get on to the good bits. The premise was a good one; stressed single dad neglects son that 30 something single broody teacher adores, throw in some school politics and a couple of extra love triangles and off you go. However, Nicky was quite annoying and at times unbelievable - her emotional responses to things were a bit juvenile.

No doubting that MN was a talented writer; the writing was descriptive and competent but the story was a little too school yard (excuse the pun) for me, lots of he said, she said with not enough adult edge to leave me feeling satisfied. Loved Miss James though, an inspired choice of character, and the puzzle concept - brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowing Amazing, 23 Sep 2007
This review is from: The Learning Curve (Paperback)
I read this book back in 06' and it was my first book by Melissa Nathan. I read in during my holiday to Spain, and i read it before the week was up, i just could not bring myself to put it down. I am not normally a fan of books, as i do get bored very easily, but this was just something i had to finish, and wanted to finish. I loved it, and i have read and re-read it i don't know how many times. After reading this i went out and bought the Waitress ( which is just as good) and the Nanny ( still have to read), and her latest, Persuading Annie. So far i love this Author, she has yet to disapoint me in her books, and i will continue to buy them until there aren't any more.
I did hear that she is no longer with us, and for that i am truly sorry for her family. I will always be a Nathan Fan, due to the fact that her books are REAL! What a author. A MUST READ AUTHOR!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for those with things to do!, 12 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Learning Curve (Paperback)
What a great story teller. I really enjoyed this book and have already bought the nanny and the waitress. I liked getting to know all characters and hated any interruptions ( like work ) which took me away from them.

Great story for a bit of escapism.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Learning Curve
The Learning Curve by Melissa Nathan (Paperback - 3 Aug 2006)
6.83