5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistible!
Published on 5 Aug. 2008 by R. A. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars for myself
Havent got around to reading as yet...but looking forward to it especially if it is as much fun as previous book
Published 13 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistible!, 5 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Travels With Boogie: 500 Mile Walkies and Boogie Up the River in One Volume (Paperback)
I've just read some excerpts from '500 Mile Walkies' to a group of friends staying together in Minehead and they roared with laughter and absolutely loved it - in fact they all vociferously demanded details of where they could get the book, so MW (if you're listening) I may have upped your sales a bit! As a dog-lover and dedicated coast path walker I am devoted to this book and re-read it regularly: there's nothing that cheers me up more effectively on a cold, grey winter evening than following once again that delightful journey with Boogie.

My five stars are strictly for '500 Mile Walkies'. I agree with other reviewers that 'Boogie up the River' is much less appealing, though still a worthwhile read. The situations are contrived, the characters much less agreeable - especially the odious Jennifer - and the whole thing compares very badly with its obvious inspiration, 'Three Men in a Boat'. There are some delightful moments, however, as with the American great-grandmother who 'likes to eat'.

'Pennine Walkies' is also an agreeable read. The dog obviously isn't the same Boogie, but the uneasy man-dog partnership is still amusing and the endearing dottiness that was so conspicuously lacking in the characters of 'Boogie up the River' is back again here. And I like the running jokes, such as the items of discarded female clothing that keep appearing by the side of the path...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Funny, a bloody good read., 13 Dec. 2009
I first read 500 mile walkies years ago when I was actually in the middle of doing some of Marks route. I actually lauhged out loud in places. You can believe every part of the book, he stumbles along the route from misshap to misshap with his not entirely faithful dog by his side. You follow his battle against the elements his equipment and Boogie the dog right to the end. It was so good I re read it straight away. When the book went missing I had to buy it again but it came with Boogie up the River. This too is a brilliant comic read. Rowing a boat up the Thames? Yeh ok, and dragging his dog along once again. We follow Mark in his struggle to meet up with a girlfriend and the disaster that inevitably turns into, and all the usual problems you would expect the duo to run into. I dont want to spoil it so just buy them both and prepare to chuckle away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystery Man, 6 Aug. 2013
Along with the Riddle of the Sphinx and what happened to Spangles menthol, an abiding mystery for me is why Mark Wallington is not recognised for his towering talent as a truly and consistently funny writer. I should know of that which I speak as I have been trying to analyse written humour and write a few well-turned amusing sentences for half a century. I met Boogie and his master on paper when they went up river and was immediately sold on his style and content. Perhaps other people don't 'get' him in the way they do other more populist writers and their stuff, but this bloke is right up there with the likes of Tom Holt, P. G. Wodehouse and Stephen Leacock for me. If you don't know Stephen Leacock, do yourself a favour and you will see what I mean.

4.0 out of 5 stars dog tails, 5 Sept. 2006
I'm a sucker for dog tales....as I expect most dog owners are!

I enjoyed this....it did make me laugh....and if you enjoy this I suggest you try out 'Shakespeare My Butt! (John Donoghue) - a summertime adventure with a pup around the more bizarre named places in the UK and Marley and Me (John Grogan) life with a labrador. For me...I enjoy the madcap adventures as much as the dog tales...so Wallington and Donoghue pip Grogan at the post....but if you have the time...try all 3!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful innocent pleasure, 2 Nov. 2014
G. Webb (Eastbourne, England) - See all my reviews
A wonderful innocent pleasure, this book. Having visited Cornwall in September this year for a week's camping and walking (with a friend and off-duty Guide Dog) I was recommended this book. Reading it bought back memories of the stunning Cornish coastline we enjoyed. I say "innocent pleasure" because Mark walked the SW Walk when there were no mobile phones or other means of keeping in touch; it was just him and Boogie. An absolute delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boogie up the river, 2 Nov. 2013
love all mark wallingtons books especially Boogie up the river & 500 mile walkies which i have read many times great fun

5.0 out of 5 stars Just keep Boogying, 24 April 2010
S. P. Thearle (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely, well written, light hearted yet insightful read which will appeal to anyone who has ever walked, owned a dog or combined the two and walked a dog. And to those who wish they could just get out from under their lives and escape for a while! THe characters and events take you there and I feel inspired to get my boots out and get out there. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest books EVER!, 9 April 2013
If you are ever the owner of a dog...particularly a sawn-off shaggy variety of a normal pedigree...then you simply have to read this book. The entire "Boogie" series is a hoot from the first page to the last and the hapless owner makes it even funnier. I particularly enjoyed what Boogie did with the mobile phone...I have to train my pooch to do that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Travels with Boogie, 9 Jan. 2010
P. R. Collins - See all my reviews
This is one of the funniest books that I've ever read. Obviously many of Boogie's antics have grown with the telling but any dog owner, hiker or, I imagine boat person will roll about laughing and at times be very touched by situations the author encounters and his reaction, Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...and again I pick up this book...., 28 Jun. 2009
T. Julians "swordmaiden" (Kent) - See all my reviews
I first read this book years ago and laughed out loud while reading it. I have read it several times since with the same reaction. I love it! Its comfortable like an old favourite jumper. I will always have a copy of this book. It will always make me laugh! Easy to read and highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›