5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating.
Published on 4 Sep 2009 by Athinadi

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
not for me im afraid.
Published 1 month ago by Nic

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating., 4 Sep 2009
This review is from: The Brother Gardeners: Botany, Empire and the Birth of an Obsession (Paperback)
I enjoyed 'The Brother Gardeners' so much that I would like to give it as a present to all my horticulturally minded friends. Andrea Wulf leads the reader from the early 18th Century when religious connotations even affected the plant world. She takes us lightly through the developments of horticulture following the newly discovered botanical treasure houses of America and Australia and gives us insights into the characters of the people who influenced the course of horticulture in those early days. We hear gossip about Linnaeus and his contemporaries and the problems faced by men such as Sir Joseph Banks and Captain Cook in a way that increases our understanding of them, their work and the problems they faced to bring us the garden and agricultural plants which we take very much for granted.

4.0 out of 5 stars History of early Botany - written in the traditional style., 28 Aug 2008
Prospero77 "Prosp77" (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I had this bought for me last Christmas and I must admit feel a bit sheepish having only just read it. In short, it is the history of the early British botanists from the 1700s and the accompanying revolution in plant cultivation, horticulture and general botanical discovery. One of those subject areas that always fascinates but is hardly touched upon by history curricula in school or college. I particularly enjoyed the written style of Andrea Wulf's text. It was reminiscent of Arthur Bryant's 'Set in a Silver Sea'. That is to say, history written as an Arts subject rather than a political or social science, which it so often is these days. A lively, rich and entertaining narrative that produces a truly interesting book on our national craze.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and delightful, 4 Feb 2009
This book shed light on lots of characters I only knew by name. The remarkably awkward egocentric Linnaeus, who invented the sexual system of plant classification; Captain Bligh, who returned from the mutinous expedition to captain the first expedition to bring back live plants from the tropics; Joseph Banks, who was with Captain Cook on the first british expedition to Australia and founded Kew Gardens. I enjoyed Jenny Uglow's The Lunar Men but I enjoyed this book even more.

4.0 out of 5 stars An utterly charming and surprising birthday present from my daughter, 8 April 2008
Happy 63rd birthday to me! My daughter gave me this book on saturday knowing I am obsesed with gardening and spend all my time, according to her, up to me elbows in manure (manure is a polite version of the word she actually used!). I am not generally a great fan of history - probably becaue of school, ie give me a nursery plantlist every time - but I loved this book. Amazing to find out that so many of the plants I grow (and sweat so much blood over) aren't British. Full of great nuggets, so thank you Marianne.

5.0 out of 5 stars a real eye opener of a book, 7 Mar 2014
an amazing book-to think I have been so ignorant of the debt we owe to these botanists,especially Sir Joseph Hunt.it is so readable, I was sorry when I reached the end, and I have since bought it for friends to give them the pleasure of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars why I liked it, 3 Mar 2014
it is a fascinating story told in a very captivating manner. I would reccommend it to anyone interesetd in gardening

5.0 out of 5 stars so interesting, 3 Mar 2014
Such an interesting book, bought on a whim; It really turned out to be fascinating - written simply enough for the amateur, but with enough detail to be highly absorbing.

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating and well crafted, 7 Oct 2009
Very well written in a chatty style, and an excellent framework for a story that is as gripping as a novel, yet as factual as history. Fascinating to gardeners, lovers of plants, and those who just enjoy the minutiae of history. I am already looking forward to reading it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Book., 11 May 2014
It was fascinating to find out where the plants in our gardens came from, who was responsible for their discovery and for bringing them to Britain. Also, Andrea Wulf has such a light touch that we hardly notice that we're also reading the history of so many countries. A book to read for pleasure, to learn from and to keep for reference. The Glossary is a treasure-house on its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for gardeners, 28 Sep 2010
Mrs. A. Zuill "anne" (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is a well written and fascinating book. One you probably want and need to read twice!

The Brother Gardeners: Botany, Empire and the Birth of an Obsession