5.0 out of 5 stars "PLEASE READ THIS BOOK"
Published on 11 Nov. 2005 by paddy1881

3.0 out of 5 stars Involving but implausible
This novel concerns a woman encountering difficulties in her relationship with her husband. Her estranged father telephones her teenage daughter out of the blue, but dies before she has a chance to meet him again, leaving her the mill house of the title. The background is realistic, and the central character and her immediate family are believable and easy to sympathise...
Published on 4 Jun. 2006 by Reptile

5.0 out of 5 stars "PLEASE READ THIS BOOK", 11 Nov. 2005
This review is from: The Mill House (Paperback)
This book was a fantastic "experience" for me. From the first page it felt as if I was vacuumed in to the book and I've never been on such an emotional roller coaster reading any book. I found myself sitting on the tube platform, my heart matching the pace of my reading at the point where Julia turned up at Sylvia's house, to huge disappointment when realizing what I was reading were her worst nightmares. I found myself sharing tears with the characters while Julia was reading her father's notebook with Fen. Anyway, think you've guessed I adored this book and everything I felt for it.
This is such a compelling read, a book that stays with you............and the emotion just jumps off the page to touch you

4.0 out of 5 stars A slow burner ..... but it does burst into flame!, 7 Feb. 2007
M. Lugg "bookworm" (Helston, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mill House (Paperback)
This is the first Susan Lewis book I have read and I have to say that I was a little concerned that I was not going to enjoy The Mill House. The start of the book seemed slow and I did not find the characters particularly appealing or interesting and if anything Julia irritated me for a while, but that changed about 100 pages into the book. The story line soon became unputdownable and I ended up finishing the book in less than two days! I would give The Mill House five stars if not for the slow start, but don't let that put you off because after that it was a really absorbing read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Having it all., 25 Jun. 2006
This review is from: The Mill House (Paperback)
Susan Lewis writes with the sweetness of Enid Blyton and temperature of Jilly Cooper ! But that's not a bad thing.

This was the first book I'd read by Susan Lewis and found it a pleasant read, at times raising the the tension making a great page turner.

Julia - central character has it all including deep seated insecurities from her childhood, from the start you like her but realise she needs to come to terms with something, and that something spreads it's uncertainity though her whole existence. The plot revolves around Julia and her perfect family, the dazzling handsome husband Josh and catalogue kids Dan and Shannon - so perfect it has to go wrong somewhere. I find a lot of the family references to hair ruffling and brotherly sisterly bickering almost sickly sweet, like something from a tv commercial foR white teeth!

However it's a good read, with twists that I really didn't see coming. A long story with your heart going out to Julia when she discovers some truth, but more lies to go with it.

I will certainly pick up another Susan Lewis book with confidence that it will see me though another sunny weekend in the garden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Susan Lewis Does it Again!!!, 31 May 2006
S. Miller - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mill House (Hardcover)
This book is superb! If you read nothing else this year, you have to read this book! It's full of Susan Lewis usual style, wit, emotion, pleasure & pain. If you're the sort of person who likes to get completley lost in a book, then this is the one for you, although be warned, as with all Susan Lewis books it leaves a void when you've finished it which can only be filled by reading another Susan Lewis book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Book, 19 July 2006
This review is from: The Mill House (Paperback)
This book was amazing. I loved all the characters and was thrilled with the plot and the way it twisted away from the expected. Another brilliant Susan Lewis about being a mother, daughter, wife and lover - and being hurt or betrayed by those close to you. I could relate fully to the main character in this book and would greatly advise you to read this story.

4.0 out of 5 stars It took a while!, 3 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Mill House (Paperback)
This is the first book by Susan Lewis that I have read. I found it really slow going to start with and didn't really start getting into the book until I was about half way through. I didn't really like the main characters very much and don't feel as if they developed throughout the book. Not sure whether I would read another book by the same author in a hurry but on the whole it was an easy read & I did enjoy the storyline and the twists and turns it took.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally gripping, 13 April 2007
Ms. L. Jenkinson "ljenkinson" (Staffs, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mill House (Paperback)
My friend rants and raves about Susan Lewis - so she lent me this book and I've got to say I was gripped. It's almost the type of book where by you think you know what's going on, but then you read a bit more and then your opinion changes. It's a great read - although i've tried another of her books and couldn't get into it. So although I'm not completely fascinated with S. Lewis as my friend is, I'd definatley recommend this one. Full of mystery!

4.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, 1 Jan. 2007
This review is from: The Mill House (Paperback)
this was the first susan lewis novel i've read, and it really was fantastic. don't listen to others who say it's rubbish, its well-written chick lit which goes a bit deeper. if you're a fan of danielle steel or sophie kinsella this is a great novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Recommendable, 17 Jan. 2008
This review is from: The Mill House (Paperback)
Although this is the first book by Susan Lewis I have read, I can only imagine that she has thoroughly outdone herself. I believe I have found somewhat of a gem in this author.
The Mill House is a ridiculously gripping and moving adventure of a book, to the point that I barely saw my family during the few days it took me to read it. It is a story of utter devotion between two people who come to face unfortunate and somewhat devastating obstacles in their lives.
Susan Lewis manages with ease to draw the reader into the emotions of the characters and adds constant twists and turns all the way through, keeping you guessing until the end.
The drama and erotica of the story is as engulfing as the characters themselves. A must-read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 July 2006
This review is from: The Mill House (Paperback)
This was the first Susan Lewis book and I couldn't put it down. It is well written and contains all the emotions of real life. I shall certainly be reading her other books.

The Mill House
The Mill House by Susan Lewis (Paperback - 18 May 2006)