5.0 out of 5 stars The best. Full stop
This is my favourite book and has been since I first read it at the age of 17, and I get just as much out of it ten years on as I did back then. I read it yearly and often look to the sensible, independent and loyal female characters Binchy writes for advice and guidance.

Published on 27 Oct. 2009 by AFan

3.0 out of 5 stars Girly
Very well written with good characters, but not really my cup of tea as it was a bit girly and romantic for my taste.
Published on 24 Sept. 2012 by Jonny

5.0 out of 5 stars The best. Full stop, 27 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Circle Of Friends (Paperback)

The book Circle of Friends (NEVER see the film) has got everything a woman could ask for in a story. It'll make you laugh and cry, it'll fill you with anger and pity and you'll lose yourself as the plot unfolds.

More than this, it's the ultimate, triumphant story of two misfit girls who, against the odds of appearance and circumstance, find their place in the adult world. They face trials in the form of beautiful girls, handsome men, upper-class snobbery and controlling nuns, but, by remaining loyal to each other and remaining resolute through hardship, they achieve their independence and succeed.

Read it. It's the first book I'll ever give my daughter when she comes of age.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Triumph for Maeve Binchey!, 11 July 2005
This review is from: Circle of Friends (Paperback)
Having read many of Maeve Bincheys books, i have to say that Cirle of Frieds, one of her earlier novels, is easily one of the best, and a book i would happily recommend to anyone looking for an entertaining, laugh-out-loud, hankies at the ready book.
Based on two friends, Benny and Eve, from a sleepy village in Ireland, the book centres on friendship and growing up. Binchey deals with love, tradegy, the struggle to fit in, and the strength of true loyalty between friends.
The characters are wonderful, people you love, like, dislike and hate. People you relate to and people you can easily imagine. Maeve Binchey has a talent of making you feel part of the story, making the characters seem like people you know and the heartaches feel like they are yours.
I laughed out loud at this book, as i do at most Binchey novels, she is a truly humerous Irish author. I also shed a few tears! The Irish backdrop, the accents and the life in a Catholic village with nuns for teachers, is ever popular in Bincheys stories and a formula that works again and again.
Read this book. . . . and appreciate the people close to you. Too often we take the people we love for granted. . . .let Circle of Friends show you real strength among true friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Irish life, 1 April 2009
This review is from: Circle Of Friends (Paperback)
The story starts in a little Irish town outside Dublin City called Knockglen. Two ten year old girls become the best of friends. Benny Hogan is an only child, over protected by her parents, and Eve Malone the daughter of a protestant mother and catholic father, who has lost both of her parents and been reared in a convant by nuns.

The story then goes on to when the girls are 18 years old and start university in UCD Dublin. They meet beautiful shallow Nan, popular Jack and others and form a friendship. Nans dream is to meet and marry a rich man. She will do anything to have this dream come true and it doesnt matter who she hurts. Benny fall's in love with Jack and to everyones suprise as shes not the most beautiful in the cirle of friends and referred to by the men in the group as 'Big Ben' Jack also falls for her.

As usual with books written by Binchy this has quite an unpredictable ending. This book is full of humour, this is probably the best Binchy book ive read so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, 21 May 2000
This review is from: Circle of Friends (Paperback)
The second Maeve Binchy book I ever read and now I've read them all this is still the best. The characters almost seem real - you feel you know them and the book ends you want to keep reading about them - if only the author would write a follow-up! Great Book - Great Read

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, un-putdownable., 7 May 2000
This review is from: Circle of Friends (Paperback)
This book is brilliant. It was the first Binchy novel that I read and is by far the best. The characters are alive and the story is completely gripping - ranging from painfully sad to hilarity. Buy it, read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I did not want to put this book down until I had read it., 15 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Circle of Friends (Paperback)
After several years since reading Circle of Friends, I can still remember it. You felt for the main female charector and followed her through the years she developed into a young women. I could not put it down and when I had to could not wait to pick it up again. I felt her charector was that of a flower that was never picked, were infact she was the lovliest flower in the garden. Her charector blossemed. You became part of the book as you read, I was sad when she was sad and of course happy when things went right for her. A brillient read. Infact well worth reading again as it was so enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars The One and Only, 6 July 2008
This review is from: Circle Of Friends (Paperback)
I loved this book. I have read others by Binchy and did not enjoy them as much as I enjoyed this book. I think all of her books are entertaining and she has a wonderful way with characters, but this is the one I have read over and over again. Whenever I don't have a new book to read I always turn to this one. In fact I probably should get a new copy as the spin on mine is shattered.
It's a must read if you are already a fan and one to read if you just like books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A perfect insight into the power of friendship., 3 May 2000
This review is from: Circle of Friends (Paperback)
I adored this book from end to end. Meave binchy managed to keep me guessing all the way through i was not disappointed with the outcome. Yet another brillient book from a brillient authoress. I recommend it wholeheartedly. It was totally real to me and i could not help but become totally mixed up with the characters and scene. NOT A BOOK TO MISS.

4.0 out of 5 stars A literary hug, 21 Aug. 2011
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Circle Of Friends (Paperback)
The joy of a Maeve Binchy novel - and Circle of Friends is no exception (in fact, is probably the best example of this) - is that you are utterly drawn into the lives of the characters. Binchy doesn't concern herself with a clever plot (here, the essence of the plot is that Benny and Eve head off to university in Dublin, and deals with the repercussions of what happens after this); rather, she wants to describe how her characters deal with life. There are never lengthy descriptions of place - dialogue is the manner in which Binchy drives her story.

So, if Binchy had been unable to write dialogue, her novels would fail in a big way. Luckily, Binchy has an absolutely unerring ear for dialogue. Her characters talk so naturally, to the point that reading Circle of Friends feels like evesdropping on a conversation between real people.

I particularly love Circle of Friends because it is a true coming of age story - two girls leaving a sleepy village and dealing with the bright lights of Dublin. Finding themselves; discovering new friends, but learning that their true and strong friendship is the best thing by far to help them survive the trials and tribulations of their new life.

In addition to this, Benny has to try and extract herself from a constricting home life to find the freedom necessary to enjoy her new life. I really appreciated this aspect of the story, since I think many young people are familiar with the idea of parents not wanting to let go and still trying to exert control over their children. Benny's frustrations were written with a ring of truth.

Maeve Binchy's novel are like a literary hug - warm and gentle, with a surprising wit and wisdom, and I think that Circle of Friends is the best of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly wonderful!, 18 Aug. 2000
This review is from: Circle of Friends (Paperback)
This book is the grandest book I have ever read. It pulls you into to it, makes you feel as if you are part of the story, as if one of the characters. You can't put it down, and when you do, you find your mind wandering back. If you beleive in true friendships, and that comes with sad parts as well, then read this book, it will make you value and friendship you have, even more. A GOOD BOOK!

Circle Of Friends
Circle Of Friends by Maeve Binchy (Paperback - 1 Jun. 2006)