Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 February 2010
While I am a great fan of GH's Regency novels, I am not so keen on her detective stories. The Unfinished Clue is the fifth I have read (the previous four being Envious Casca, A Blunt Instrument, Detection Unlimited and Why Shoot a Butler?) and it is by far my favourite. I love its house-party setting and found the characters interesting.

The story starts with two sisters: common-sense singleton Dinah who is a guest of her unhappily married and put-upon sister Fay. (Echoes of a less-touchy Serena and Fanny from Bath Tangle I thought.) Fay's husband, Arthur, is a tyrant and not particularly popular with his guests who include: his impecunious nephew, Fay's admirer, a couple they met on holiday and Arthur's son and his cabaret-dancing fiancee, Lola. Other characters appear in the form of dinner guests and servants. In due course someone is murdered and Inspector Harding (who is slightly reminiscent of GH's Regency heroes) investigates.

It is these characters and relationships which make the story so enjoyable, along with the intrigue of working out who did it. Not for me gritty reality or tense atmospheres. I like my detective novels to be escapist, with as little violence as possible. This is written with a light touch, and I almost cried with laughter at some of Lola's comments. I didn't get as engrossed as I had with GH's Regency novels, such as Cotillion or Venetia, nor did it race along like The Grand Sophy, but it was an enjoyable clean read, with some fun and intrigue.
on 15 April 2002
The gruesome death of the tyrannical Sir Arthur sends shockwaves through the motley crew of guests assembled for a weekend house party. As near cabin-fever sets in, Scotland Yard arrive to ferret out the truth. Heyer writes with her usual deft touch, with a comic gallery of secondary characters, notably the volatile Geoffrey's unsuitable Latin fiancee Lola. The plot thickens and reveals itself with a flourish and the central romance is a nicely managed "matter-of-fact" affair.
on 23 January 2014
Georgette Heyer writes well, and her characters and dialogue make much better reading than anything Agatha Christie produced. I am of an age (approaching 80) to appreciate what younger readers may well find dated by today's standards, but there WAS life before World War II!
on 8 March 2007
As in many murder mysteries, an ill-assorted bunch of people are gathered at a country house. However, Georgette Heyer's talent for writing charming and often eccentric minor characters raises her work above the rest. One of the best is Lola, a triumphantly egotistical Latin lovely who dances for a living, and has rather improbably become engaged to Sir Arthur Billington-Smith's wimpy son. Sir Arthur is an awful pompous old bully, whose word is law. His pretty young sister-in-law is unimpressed however - she positively enjoys prodding him with a stick (metaphorically), and watching the explosive results. I didn't guess whodunnit until just before the end. An entertaining read, recommended.
on 28 February 2013
I have always loved Georgette Heyer; my love of books started with her historical novels and went on from there. Her murder mysteries are wonderful, in the main because of the humour Ms Heyer injects into her stories. There is always a nice twist at the end and depicts the period between the wars extremely well. It's my favourate light reading and in my opinion she is up there with the other Queens of Crime, Christie, Marsh, Allingham, etc.
on 20 February 2014
Bought this book to complete my set of Georgette Heyer novels I have read most of them more than once, they are a great form of relaxation.
on 13 May 2014
A typical murder mystery, rather in the style of Agatha Christie, but with much better characterisation. Murder happens at a weekend house party… the police are baffled, so the charming Inspector Harding from Scotland Yard is called in.

Cleverly written, leaving me guessing until the end. Recommended.
on 4 August 2013
I absolutely love these books - have got all eleven and all her regency books-she is a great writer of both detective novels and romance. Her attention to period detail is second to none. Loved it!
on 12 January 2014
As with any Heyer book, this one ends in the most subtle way. I would never have guessed who the killer was until right at the end. Just as it should be.

5 stars is well deserved.
on 15 February 2014
Another relaxing and undemanding read by Heyer.

The plot is well thought out and the denouement satisfactory - even though preposterous!