5.0 out of 5 stars One Women, One Motorcycle, One great adventure.
Published on 13 April 2010 by Daniel Storey

2.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but a little Loose on the details
I must say, I'm a little surprised at how many 5 stars this book got. After reading those same 5 star Reviews, I decided that it was probably worth downloading and tucked in on the tube.

As with most people, I did think the book was entertaining. The idea of giving up everything for a massive trek across 2 continents with all the splendour and anticipation that...
Published on 4 Sep 2011 by Harvs

5.0 out of 5 stars One Women, One Motorcycle, One great adventure., 13 April 2010
Daniel Storey "Book_Worm_Daniel" (Rochester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lois on the Loose (Paperback)
Adventure motorcycling has become very mainstream since the adventures of Ewan and Charley on Long Way Round/Down. However motorcycling adventures have been going on since the 1930's when women like Theresa Wallach rode a motorbike and sidecar though the African continent. Lois decided to give up her job at the BBC and ride her 250cc motorcycle from the top of the Americas to very bottom. The ride saw her clock up over 20,000 miles though North and South America. Early on in her trip Lois has to deal with extreme weather in Canada and jobs worthy police which see's her bike get impounded but she gets by. Once she enters into North America she experiences some of the American dream and is joined by a fellow women motorcyclist in LA for the next leg of her journey. Whilst in LA Lois here's some horror stories about some South American countries and she and her travelling companion head across into Mexico with caution.
Thankfully these horror stories never materialist and Lois experiences all the ups,downs, joys, every biker expects when undertaking such adventures. During Lois journey her bike suffers the odd problem but their was always someone willing to lend her a hand. unfortunately towards the end of her journey tragedy does strike for another travelling women biker she meets but you should read the book to discover this.
The fact the Lois completed this journey on such a smaller CC bike is a real testament to her and you can't help but admire Lois throughout the book.
Their are all sorts of Motorcycle adventure books on the market these days and im pretty sure you would will miss out on a great read if you ignore this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real hoot!, 16 Mar 2007
This review is from: Lois on the Loose (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down and knocked it out in 2 days! It was well composed, intelligent, informative, shocking in places, very, very funny and a true story to boot. Lois has a disarming honesty and self deprecating humour as well as down to earth practicality, boundless optimism and enthusiasm a refreshing change from some of the 'badass bro' element in the biker press. Can't wait for the next one and I'm sure there'll be more!

5.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to read it again the moment I'd finished it!, 13 Mar 2007
This review is from: Lois on the Loose (Paperback)
If you're into adventure motorcycling, you'll love every word. That said, this is most definitely a book which anybody would enjoy. I chose "Lois On The Loose" as lunchtime reading material for work and it took me about a week to finish, by which time people were quizzing me about my miracle diet. There's not much that can get between me and my grub, but this little gem managed it! Consistently funny, engaging, informative and beautifully written from the scene-setting intro, to the triumphant outro. In other words, one hundred percent entertainment. Nuff said...

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and Motivational, 12 Mar 2007
This review is from: Lois on the Loose (Paperback)
If you're fed up with your boring office job and are a motorbiking adventurer at heart this is a great read. Lois' entertaining descriptive writing makes it an easy read, and you feel as if you're out there experiencing the journey with her. It'll make you feel more determined to get out there and have a go, but at the same time if you can't its an excellent way to get a feel for what its like. Highly recommended and can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, missing it already, 19 Nov 2009
R. G. Brookman (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lois on the Loose (Paperback)
Please, please don't take the reviews too seriously which say that this isn't as good as Ted Simon's Jupiter's Travels. Lois isn't Ted Simon, and the little Serow isn't Jupiter, and people who compare one with the other are missing the point. I've read both, and while I found Jupiter's Travels a brilliant read, profound and interesting, I also loved Lois's account of her adventure. It's a light read, not dark like Simon's book, and it's fairly undemanding, just one of those books you just can't put down. I got it as a birthday present and read it straight through in two days. I found it very entertaining, and entertainment is why I read in the first place. She focuses mainly on herself and her reactions to things, and on the troubles of keeping a small trailbike going long enough to reach the tip of South America. There is less on the cultures she passes through, but that isn't a fault - it's what makes it unique and different from Ted Simon, or Robert Pirsig, or any other motorcycling author you care to read. If you want Ted Simon, read Ted Simon. Lois has her own take on things. (To the reviewer who complained that Simon never mentioned the bike, as if that was a virtue, I would reply that that was what I liked least about Jupiter. A bit more bike stuff would have made the book a lot more interesting to someone like me.)

As a year-round motorcyclist who is currently stuck with nothing better than a daily commute due to personal circumstances, I found the book a tremendous bit of escapism, and an encouragement to get out there and do it for myself - one day.

If you have any interest in bikes, or adventure, or in just seeing how a sassy young lady copes with situations that would make most of us give up, then buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loose Bearings, 25 April 2007
C. Payne (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lois on the Loose (Paperback)
"You're mad". "You'll get raped". "You'll kill yourself" were the just some of the words of encouragement Lois Pryce received when she announced she was going to motorcycle solo from the frozen wastes of northern Alaska to the fly blown tip of Argentina. Cheerfully straddling her underpowered Japanese trail bike, Lois sketches with forensic accuracy the real characters of the road: psychotic traffic cops, saintly mechanics, father and son Harley riders, jaded backpackers, strippers with make up tattooed onto their face and the deadliest of them all, the unsupervised South American male in a uniform. The pages turn as fast as the countryside - Lois' chatty prose is funny, warm and self depreciating making this book, I think, a must for any traveller contemplating a plunge into the unknown. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true lady adventure., 1 Dec 2009
Mr. Chris Burras (Warwickshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lois on the Loose (Paperback)
If you enjoy motorcycling as I do, you will probably have seen or read ' The Long Way Around' and 'The long Way Down'. Well that was all very well! but I question how much of a true adventure it was when accompanied by a sizable support team of 4X4's and financially supported by BMW and a menagerie of big businesses.
On the other hand there is Lois Pryce, a lady of true pioneering spirit, she does what most of us in a mundane monotonous job only ever dream of, and as such you feel you are with her all through the ups and downs of her journey from top to bottom of the American continent. I for one could not put it down, this real adventure down through America with little or no kit just her trusty Steed and an infectious normality, living on her wits and meeting her occasional companions and the people of this vast continent makes for a great read. I could hardly wait to get my hands on her next book Red Tape and White knuckles.

5.0 out of 5 stars A girl in a million, 23 April 2009
C. D. Porter (Tetbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lois on the Loose (Paperback)
The pure guts of this attractive young girl to undertake this incredible adventure on her own, on this tiny tiny bike, makes the rest of us seem extremely boring. It was a total privilege to share this trip with Lois in the pages of her wonderfully written book which I could not put down. When you have finished this one you have to read her next book called 'Red tape and White Knuckles' which is equally as good and well written. Lois will always be an interesting and captivating dinner guest. I have recommended both books to everyone I know. Thank you Lois, I can't wait for you to get on your bike again. Colin Porter, Tetbury.

5.0 out of 5 stars P Dickinson, 11 Dec 2008
P. Dickinson (La Palma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lois on the Loose (Paperback)
This book is humourous and packed with adventure. I cannot believe she spent 9 months travelling by bike! It gives an insight into each of the various south american countries and a funny account of life in the USA. I like the way she describes the people she meets and how they contribute, whether positively or negatively, to her journey. I agree with her that travel is about the people you meet, not so much the places you visit. There is also a graphic description of a bike accident that has stuck in my mind, along with many other anecdotes. I really enjoyed it, it made me laugh a lot. I didn't want her journey to end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo Lois!, 29 Oct 2008
This review is from: Lois on the Loose (Paperback)
This gal is incredible! She braves the Americas on a scrambler, much of it on her lonesome. True grit and courage that would put most men to shame, this book is very well written indeed, with injections of humour that had me laughing profusely. A most enjoyable read, candid to the extreme, and a hard to put down book, I was sad when I'd finished it, because I so thoroughly enjoyed this trip with Lois. She has a knack of keeping you rivetted and wondering whats coming up next. Get this book...you'll love it, wether you're a motorcyclist or not.I'm just about to start the next one by this author. Rock on Lois!

Lois on the Loose
Lois on the Loose by Lois Pryce (Paperback - 1 Mar 2007)