Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 October 2012
Ac is an incredibly interesting character with a fantastic story to tell. Unfortunately the way he tells it spoils it for me. I get it, he's printed it the way he wrote it, as quite a shorthand quick account. But for me this format lacks real thought provoking elements and is frankly difficult to read.

It is good at getting across the sense of the always on pressure of politics and his personal life certainly suffers as a result. But there are only so many times you can read "GB and PM aren't getting on at all at the moment" before it becomes annoying.

Equally he seems to take for granted that the reader knows all the background to events

I enjoyed reading to get a sense of politics but I will not be reading volumes 2,3,4.

I hope he writes an autobiography because this is just written too poorly to really enjoy
on 9 May 2013
Having read Burden of Power (Campbell's most recent published diary) I decided to go back to the beginning. There does seem to be a distinct difference in pace between the two books, Campbell appears to have much more energy in Prelude to Power. Prelude to Power is an interesting account, particularly if you look at it against the current backdrop of Labour gearing up towards the 2015 general election.
The style of writing can take a little bit of getting used to, but it is worth keeping going, clearly concisely written with just the right amount of gossip. My sole criticism is that the print is too small, which can be off-putting.
All in all worth a read.
on 21 August 2011
To read a diary really allows you to be there. Yes of course this is Campbell oriented ~ it is a diary but what a fascinating account. Very easy to read.
on 7 June 2015
Campbell's diaries provide a view of what was happening inside new Labour as it happened. This opening chapter sets the scene and positions the main players up to the 1997 election. A fantastic series.
on 14 September 2015
Great read
on 21 June 2012
I like political diaries and autobiographies and I've read all the well known ones from the last few years. However, in my opinion, this is the worst one I've picked up. It's quite unreadable and I only got through about thirty pages. Its badly written, quite difficult to follow and boring with it.
on 4 May 2014
THRILLED TO HAVE THE WHOLE SERIES OF THE ALASTAIR CAMPBELL DIARIES. VERY GOOD CONDITION PLUS EXCELLENT PRICE, THANK YOU, VERY SATISFIED.
on 22 April 2011
I am never sure how this book is to be taken I read it with a dose of scepticism, is he correct ? Maybe only history will tell I am not purchasing the other volumes though as I just dont think its all historical fact.