4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea and very amusing
Published on 13 Jun 2011 by Sagan

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
This is a pleasant read, but not up to Tim Moore's usual standard. It's probably a question of personal taste, but I preferred his other books.
Published 24 months ago by hypnobear

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea and very amusing, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: I Believe In Yesterday: A 2000 year Tour through the Filth and Fury of Living History: My Adventures in Living History (Paperback)
I had forgotten how funny Tim Moore is . This is an interesting, informative and laugh out loud journey through 700 years of living history. The authour joins a french Roman legion fighting Gauls , a medievil fortress in Germany and several other areas of history. The American Civil War re-enactment is taken so seriously I imagine it is as near to time travel as humanly possible. I still laugh when I think of him being forced to read Shakespear to a group of grim US Civil War generals and civilians by oil lamp in a crowded tent.

I recommend this book and would rate it as high as his other books

4.0 out of 5 stars Good (as always) but......., 1 Jun 2014
I love Tim Moore's writing. He is always able to make me laugh out loud and I love the way he drops literary allusions into his work, it always makes you feel as though you are spending time chatting with a really good friend. But...... I did get a tiny bit bored in some places - I kept thinking "Why??" Why put yourself through such hell voluntarily? But possibly I'm just a comfort-loving, sybaritic softie and Tim Moore is made of much sterner stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very funny., 20 April 2014
Mornamont (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
I always enjoy Tim Moore's way of writing but this one actually taught me something as well - perhaps mostly about human behaviour, the gaps in people's lives and their reasons for wanting to live in a different world. Don't worry, it is also very, very funny. I'm so glad he does these things and I don't have to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tim Moore - unmissable, 5 April 2013
Tim Moore is one of those authors I just can't miss. This had, perhaps, slightly fewer laugh-out-loud moments than some of his other work but was still a very funny account of life in re-enactment societies. I used to live with a load of re-enactors and they were just as mad as described here.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 1 Aug 2012
hypnobear (north yorkshire) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars A view from the other side of the safety ropes, 17 May 2012
As a re-enactor myself I was interested in seeing how the author presented my hobby. It's very readable although anybody who isn't a re-enactor will probably wonder why on earth so many people do it on such a regular basis. He joins in with re-enactors from the Dark Ages, Roman, Tudor, early American and American Civil War (unfortunately ignoring the English Civil Wars which is my period). He suffers terrible privations on the way but appears to have fun which is exactly why so many people put on funny hats throughout the re-enacting season. If you've ever watched from the crowd at Kelmarsh or one of the other events where people try hard to show what life was like in some bygone age, this book will give you an interesting insight into life on the other side of the safety ropes.

2.0 out of 5 stars amusing rather than funny; not his best, 1 April 2012
Well, it gave me the odd chuckle, but its hardly hilarious. the author spends time with various historical reenactmment groups, where nothing ever seems to happen, and it all seems pretty pointless. he tries to work up some false anxiety about getting hurt in mock fights, not getting his lines right and other boring trivia. i thought i might learn about how people actually lived in those times, but no - nothing about how they used to extract iron ore, for example. how accurate the descriptions of these reenactment clubs are i dont know - if he exaggerated to make it sound more interesting then they must be deadly dull indeed.

2.0 out of 5 stars With a pinch of salt..., 30 Nov 2011
A. Ball (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
While an undoubtably an amusing tale, this book is not without a lot of poetic licence. Having seen a number of the described re-enactment societies in the flesh, and participated in a number myself, I can categorically state that the author is talking a load of crap.