5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding
Published on 27 Oct. 2008 by Best Crime Books

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a slog...
I have read a fair few Susan Lewis books and enjoyed them all. In fact, I read no child of mine in a day. I just couldn't put it down. I picked this up, cheaply, a few months ago and I was intrigued.

Published 11 months ago by The Little Bookworm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 27 Oct. 2008
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Hardcover)
This book tells the story of Susannah Cates and her daughter Neve. Susannah was a reasonably successful actress before becoming pregnant with her daughter and now years on with her ex-husband due for release from prison and struggling for money she unexpectedly meets her childhood sweetheart. When she moves in with him and is the offered the lead part in a new series she thinks she has it all. Her cash situation solved and her love life on the up she thinks it cannot get any better until her daughter starts behaving strangeley. This is incredibly sad but well written and a page turner to say the least! Cannot reccomend highly enough!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 17 April 2009
N. Steddy "Page turner" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Paperback)
This is the first book I've read by Susan Lewis and it definitely won't be the last. This book was a real page turner and I found it hard to put down wanting to know what was happening next. Buy it - you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page-turner, 10 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Hardcover)
This is a great book; housework took a back seat and I stayed up until the wee hours to finish it (the only other author I do this for is Jackie Collins). The author returns to the meatiness of earlier novels such as Vengeance, Cruel Venus, Summer Madness, A Class Apart and Stolen Beginnings, all favourites of mine. If you loved these novels of Susan Lewis' then you'll love Out Of The Shadows. It's brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a slog..., 3 Jun. 2014
The Little Bookworm "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Paperback)

The story focuses on Susannah, a single mother to Neve. I thought the story was going to focus on the ex husband, who is in prison but I was wrong. It focuses on an action by Neve that has devastating consequences...

The beauty of Susan Lewis' is how the story unfolds so I don't want to give too much away. What I will say is I found this a slow burner and it took a while to get into. Once the story got going, it was interesting but it just wasn't as gripping as some of her other books. This is a monster of a book at almost 700 pages and I felt it could have been cut down.

This is worth a read but if it's your first Susan Lewis, I'd try one of her others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic book by a fantastic author, 7 July 2009
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Paperback)
I love Susan Lewis's books! She is a fantastic author and her stories are real page turners and this one was no exception!

On one hand I wanted to hurry up and finish it to see what happened but on the other hand I didn't want the story to end!

This book has a few twists and turns in it, an intriguing read.

I already have her next book on order from Amazon!

Kiwi girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Similar plot to Kate Kray's The Betrayed, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Paperback)
I'm not sure which was written first, but having read this last year and then read Kate Kray's novel "The Betrayed" a few weeks ago, there are some remarkable similarities in the two books. Both involve a husband in prison, an actress getting a new job, a new man in her life, etc.etc. Seems hard to believe that both authors had the same idea...

1.0 out of 5 stars not nearly as good as some of her first books, 23 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Paperback)
I WAS A GREAT FAN OF SUSAN LEWIS, BUT HER LAST FEW BOOKS I HAVE NOT ENJOYED, THEY SEEM TO LACK SUBSTANCE. IN THIS BOOK PATSY IS HER BEST FRIEND, WHO FILL'S LOT'S OF PAGES BUT THE REAL STORY SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABOUT NEVE & HER MOTHER. ALSO THE STORY SEEMS TO DRIFT ALMOST UNTIL THE END. THE IMPORTANT ISSUE IS THE BOYFRIEND AND HIS DEVIOUS ACT'S, REELING NEVE IN AND DESTROYING HER AND HER MOTHERS LIVES. IT'S TO FLIPPANT FOR SUCH A STRONG ISSUE, IT NEEDED A LOT MORE STRONG WRITING TO REALLY GET THE READER TO BE PULLED IN. IT'S A SHAME BECAUSE I HAVE ENJOYED LOT'S OF HER BOOKS, BUT I THINK SUSAN LEWIS WILL NOT BE ON MY FAVORITE BOOK LIST NOW.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good bed-time read, 20 May 2012
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Paperback)
This is the first Susan Lewis book I have read. Our book club now buy paperbacks individually, read them and take to our meetings to discuss with the rest of the group, which is why I chose this particular one. I enjoyed the book, I felt it was a bit over-long in places and halfway through I could guess what was coming, but overall I felt the characters were believable, especially Susannah the mother and Neve, her daughter. I could pick it up and remember the story so far, I didn't need to flick back through pages to remind myself who the characters were. I would recommend it

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly Dreadful, 3 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Paperback)
I fully agree with the comments of the reviewer who described this as the worst book they had read in a long time. After "Lost Innocence", which was superb, I couldn't wait to get started on this and at two thirds of the way through I wished I hadn't bothered and abandoned it. Shallow, one dimensional characters and a plot so predictable my eight year old could have seen what was coming do not make for a good read in my view. I did flick to the last few pages just to see if I had guessed correctly - needless to say I had! A real turkey of a book - don't bother!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good!!, 10 May 2010
F. Smith (Norwich England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Paperback)
This is the third Susan Lewis book I have read and it was my favourite so far.... I did guess the story twist as I have done with her other ones but it didn't make it any less of a good read, also I was keen to finish it to see if I was right!!! which I was! I have another 2 lined up ... she's a brilliant writer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Out of the Shadows
Out of the Shadows by Susan Lewis (Paperback - 10 Sept. 2009)