Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on 18 September 2007
In my opinion 'The Dollmaker's Daughters' is the best of Dilly Court books, although all of them have been really good reads.

Dilly draws you into the everyday life of her characters so much that you really feel as though they are a friend.

Definitely recommended, especially if you're a fan of historical books!
on 26 April 2011
I finished Dollmaker's Daughters just last night and I am now eagerly awaiting my next delivery from Amazon which I hope will be today with some more of Dolly Court's books. When I read her books I am in the story line with the characters and have to choose my times carefully to read otherwise I will get no housework done. If you like Josephine Cox or Rita Bradshaw books then you will love this Author.

If you have never read either Authors and you like gritty down to earth stories then these are the type of books for you.
on 23 May 2009
I love reading Dilly court books, so easy to read and just cant stop reading them
All based in the 1890 era. How a poor family survives in London
Fantastic books
on 5 April 2014
I have only read one other book by this author although I have read all the books written under her other name Lily Baxter and loved each one. I wasn't sure what to expect from this story but the more I read the more I enjoyed it. A well rounded cast of characters, each with traits to love and to hate. Our main characters, Rosetta wild and selfish looking out only for herself and what she wants. Twin sister Ruby serious, quiet dreaming of becoming a nurse and always putting the needs of others before her own and constantly covering for her sister. Then there are the supporting characters, brother Joe who gets himself into trouble and uses Ruby to help get him out of it, their mother Sarah self sacrificing to support her family following the untimely death of her husband. Granny Mole, Sarah's mother who seems to do nothing but complain and eat for the entire book. Billy a neighbour who secretly tries to help out the family and also has an unrequited love for one of the sisters, Jonas Crowe who will drive a wedge between the twins and is not quite all that he appears to be at first glance. Also included in the story is Aunt Lottie a former star of the stage who lost it all to gambling, Pamela and Adam who help Ruby to achieve her goals and dreams, Elsie a somewhat dimwitted but kind hearted servant girl and Sly, who is somewhat on the sleazy side. The story follows the girls as they try to achieve their goals and dreams, Rosetta on stage and Ruby in the hospital. Rosetta soon finds herself forced to give up her dream, and to return home to a life she never wanted, while Ruby soon finds herself, first as a nurse companion and then later on the battlefields of Africa. I wasn't sure how this book would end, how it would all wrap up since no one seemed happy as I got close to the end of the book, but somehow things all tied up nicely in the end and it didn't feel rushed or forced at all and I was left quite happy with how the story ended. Overall a very enjoyable and satisfying read.
on 14 October 2014
I liked everything about this book, the characters Jonas, Rosetta, Billy and Ruby and how love works in mysterious ways. I was so happy Billy and Rosetta got back together and Rosetta proved she had motherly instincts after all,. Ruby and Jonas were just perfect together at least she came to her senses in the end.

Well done Dilly Court for such an amazing book once again. I just wish you would continue your stories and let us know how married life pans out for your characters in the end. I just don't think you write quick enough I have read all your books now and can't for the next one.
on 18 May 2013
Enjoyed the different twists and turns in the story
it sometimes makes you realise how poor people were how hard
times must have been
on 23 February 2013
Really enjoyed this book, down to earth, family life, poverty, rivalry, humour and sadness, this story has it all. The characters are so real i felt their emotions and just couldn't put it down, although one section was like reading the Scarlet/Ashley saga in Gone with the Wind. I'm thoroughly enjoying Dilly's style of writing.
on 14 April 2009
Excellent Read kept me interested to the last page would recomend to all my friends.
on 25 December 2012
I love Dilly Courts books, I've read quite a few and the Dollmaker's Daughters is no exception. She allways manages to draw you in till you almost feel like you're one of the characters in it. Her books are a lovely easy read and I can definitely reccomend them.
on 1 September 2014
This book flowed from start to finish and was an enjoyable read !! This is the second Dilly Court book that I have read and I have downloaded another to enjoy. I have very quickly become a fan of this talented writers books :)