5.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously funny!
Having read Rachel's Holiday, Marian Keyes's latest book, I thought I should definitely read one of her earlier novels. I had been looking for a laugh-out-loud romantic comedy to read and Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married did not disappoint. What great novel! This book shouldn't be compared to Bridget Jones -- it shines its own light.
Lucy Sullivan has received the...
Published on 8 Nov 2000 by CoffeeGurl

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Chick-Lit' With a Difference
Published on 16 Jan 2006 by Ms. A. Rowse

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously funny!, 8 Nov 2000
Lucy Sullivan has received the news of a lifetime: a psychic has predicted that she will be married within a year. The problem is that she has no idea to whom. Who is the lucky man? No one knows. Of course, the search for Mr. Sullivan will take some interesting and rough turns, for Lucy isn't exactly a girl with very high dating standards.
The story is very reminiscent to a Jane Austen novel -- it has that heroine-looking-for-love-in-all-the-wrong-places-but-wouldn't-notice-the-true-love-of-her-life-if-it-hit-her-in-the-head theme. I also loved the neurotic characters. Lucy's roommates -- Karen, bossy and high maintenance and Charlotte, ditsy and naive -- are hilarious! As are Daniel (he seemed adorable), Megan, Meredia and Gus. I laughed so much with this one. In fact, I was given some puzzled looks on the train on my way to work. My only complaint is that having read Rachel's Holiday, I have detected a pattern in Keyes's writing -- a pattern that I cannot discuss for it might spoil the plot.
Funny, charming, and as irresistible as it is addicting, Lucy Sullivan should be on everyone's reading list!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever Marian Keyes Novel!, 13 Aug 2004
H. Belcher "hanzb04" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
If there is one writer i can always rely on to uplift my mood, and defeat my ever growing bordem; then it's Marian Keyes. I had previously read "Watermelon"; "Rachel's Holiday"; "Angels"; "Last Chance Saloon" and "Sushi For Beginners". When I picked up "Lucy Sullivan Is Gettin Married", it sent my imagination into a whirlwind, and i found myself laughing and crying my way through every chapter.
The introduction to the book gripped me, it felt so down to earth and i attached myself to the characters lives straight away. I swear that this would make a fantastic TV drama! Marian Keyes' main characters always seem to take on the same roles. Lucy Sullivan is a very sarcastic and empty person to start with, much like Rachel in "Rachel's Holiday".
The story follows Lucy and her work mates visiting Mrs Nolan, a psychic. She tells Lucy that by the end of the year she will be married. Rumurs fly all over the place that Lucy is engaged, and she finds herself being harrassed by her tight, bitter and fussy mother; Her drunken, bed wetting father and her loud, self obsessed and big breasted flatmates. Lucy's family put the dysfunctional in dysfunctional!
Will she end up with Chuck, the rather abnoctious American who claims he doesn't drink? Jed the new guy at work? Gus, the most unreliable, untrustworthy get gorgeous bloke breathing? Or plain old Daniel? It may not sound very exciting now, but once you've started reading it, you'll be holding on for dear life to the book! Marian Keyes portray's Lucy's character as slightly depressed, well maybe a bit more then slightly! I felt there was a lot of reality and personal references from the writer whilst she desribed these scenes of depression.
Overall this book is the best thing since chocolate covered honey comb! And that is very hard to come by! The chapters are kept short for half wits like myself, but the book was quite hefty, sounds like a bad thing i know, but after reaching the last page, i wouldn't have minded it going on for another 1000 pages!

5.0 out of 5 stars saved my life, 24 April 2002
By A Customer
I first read this book several years ago when I was unfortunately going through a nervous breakdown. A friend lent it to me and I don't exaggerate when I say that it saved my life. Lucy was REAL - she had crappy relationships, an awful job, a less-than-storybook family and she suffered from depression (in fact, I identified so strongly with the character that I rang up the friend who had lent me the book and said "oh my god, someone's been spying on my life!"). Lucy made me feel like I wasn't such a loser, that it was okay that my life was a bit out of control and that perhaps it would all turn out okay (which it has - I haven't found my Daniel yet, but I'm sure he'll turn up eventually!). Quite aside from that, I was thoroughly impressed with the fact that Marian included a character which nearly every single London office gets at some point or other and which nobody EVER includes in their books - the Australian temp! I've read the book several times since first reading it in 1997 and coming back to it is like wearing a pair of really soft, faded jeans - dead comfortable, look great and you can rely on it any time.
Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun & Fluff!!, 21 Mar 2001
By A Customer
I am a huge Marian Keyes fan and I loved this book. It is perfect for cuddling up on the sofa with a bottle of wine and chocolate. Lucy is a good strong character with flaws as well as her redeeming qualities - to see how vunerable she is at times makes you sympathise with her various predicaments throughout the course of a year or so. Finally, you really, really want her to kick her blinkers off and realise who is really after her affections, even though it is not very hard to work out as you read on. Personally, I think this is one of Marian Keyes' best. Fine holiday fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Chick-Lit' With a Difference, 16 Jan 2006
Ms. A. Rowse "arowsel" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married (Paperback)
I’d read three novels by Marian Keyes before reading this one; “Watermelon”, “Sushi for Beginners” and “The Other Side of the Story”. I’ve also read her autobiographical scrapbook-of-events book, “Under the Duvet”. I’m very fond of Keyes’ style; I find it unique, warm and extremely funny. “Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married” is no exception.
Lucy lives in London with her flatmates, Karen (bossy and vindictive) and Charlotte (naïve and gullible). Everyday she catches the tube to her dead-end job, and everyday she is late. The story begins with Lucy being roped into seeing a fortune-teller with her workmates. There she is told that she will be married “before the four seasons have rolled a time and half a time again” (before the end of the year!). Lucy is reluctant to take any notice to her ‘destiny’ but when the predictions start coming true for her friends (overweight Meredia, Australian Megan and posh Hetty) she can’t help but start believing that she will be the next down the aisle. This poses the all important question though, who is her groom-to-be?
However, this book isn’t as one-dimensional as it may seem, it in fact explores themes not always found in a novel like this. Lucy struggles from depression, and the novel describes how Lucy feels and copes with this illness. Not only that but Lucy’s father is an alcoholic and this book describes how Lucy helps her dad and learns to live with it, helping him without putting her own life on hold.
All in all I enjoyed this novel, although I found parts predictable and I also thought some sections dragged. There were some classic moment which had me roaring aloud in laughter though and I loved most of the characters, particularly Charlotte and Chuck. “Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married” is well written and told in first person with a very realistic protagonist.
If you’ve read Marian Keyes before and enjoy her writing style, I definitely recommend this novel to you. If you haven’t but enjoy romantic and funny contemporary books aimed at women, then I’d also recommend this to you. Other ‘chick-lit’ books I recommend are “The Other Side of the Story” (my favourite novel by Marian Keyes so far), “The Ivy Chronicles” by Karen Quinn and “The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic” by Sophie Kinsella.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Marian Keyes book!!, 4 Oct 2004
I thought "Sushi for Beginners" was my fav Marian Keyes book but this is even better. I have also read "Last Chance Saloon" and "Watermelon" but this is the best of them all. I only have a few pages now left to read and I wish it would never end because I'm enjoying it so much!! when you start reading it you can't put it down, so I strongly recommend it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Write On, Ms Keyes!, 21 Oct 1999
By A Customer
Make no mistake, I adored this book and I urge everyone to read it, and I wholeheartedly really loved 'Watermelon' to pieces, but since I was so enthralled with 99% of the writing I was commensurately disappointed by two key aspects of both books: the predictable and banal endings; and the way both novels had been seemingly 'American-ized' [perhaps this was a function of editting in the USA edition, but surely no one in London calls the Tube 'the Subway' etc...for I was certainly laughed at, when I called it that when I was last there] [Note to editors - Americans like to read books written in alternate vernaculars, and we are not all Cosmo-type ignoramuses, thank you very much], but I hate to think that writers of this caliber should be rendered so American-esque by their British editors. On top of that I was disappointed in the lack of willingness by the wonderful author to go the extra mile and write some really hard truths that would rise above women's magazine -article-style - like an ending where the heroine goes it en seule - into her story. It seemed to me that the endings were foretold from the start, and that such a sense of convenience belies the rest of the books' grasp on the vagaries of life and love. If I were ever so honored as to be a friend of Marian Keyes, I would encourage her to take risks, to see what happens when you go boldly out into the real world where love is even harder and life is not ever going to behave according to rule. Having said that I must also say that I one-clicked her latest book sight-unseen because I loved the way it felt to read her two others.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enormously funny and witty book, 30 Nov 1999
By A Customer
After reading Marian Keyes' "Rachel's Holiday", which I ABSOLUTELY could not put down, I doubted that I could find another book to beat its humour and wit. However, as soon as I read the first page of "Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married" I was absolutely and irrevocably proved wrong. It is an absolutely belevable account of a girl's struggle to find balance in both love and life. If any of fellow readers out there enjoy a book which allows you to lose yourself in it and totally relax, then look no further.

4.0 out of 5 stars The first but not the last of her books I plan to read..., 4 Dec 2001
Alison Dalton (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I have to admit that the first 100 or so pages we a bit slow and I had a hard time getting into this book, but then i really started to appreciate the cahracters and predicaments of the lives of all of them and ended up thoroughly enjoying this book. I found myself looking forward to my train ride at the end of the day where I would be able to read for 30 minutes uninterrupted. I have recommended this book to my friends who like contemporary fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars nearly peed myself on the train!, 24 Sep 2003
Lucy sullivan is a book that i will never forget, the number of times i went to work crying with laughter was hugh (and at the time i worked for a well known tie and scarf shop generally not a place that is used to really happy employees!).
Discovering Marian Keyes was like meeting someone that you knew was going to be one of your best friends. I would highly recommend this and any other MK book to all.

Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married
Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married by Marian Keyes (Paperback - 7 July 2005)