5.0 out of 5 stars a must read!!!
this is an amazingly funny book! really is great, if your in any doubt buy it!! its worth it, it was the first marian keyes book and bought, and ive read is twice and its still great! you cant put it down you can really relate to poor old claire, and you really want to help her in her hour of need!! really is brilliant, go and buy!
Published on 25 July 2006 by Ruth Cannon

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best not the worst
After reading " Rachel's Holiday" I wanted to read more from the writer as I found it easy to read and entertaining. The problem with watermelon is that there is so much useless fat, that can be easily removed and it will not harm the book at all. I got used with Rachels holiday, to the suddenly change of topic between sentences and its fine, as I said, is an easy book to...
Published on 1 Feb. 2013 by MJQte

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Watermelon is a must read...Calling all Jane Green Fans, 15 May 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
If you've ever been dumped then read this book... Honestly nothing can be as bad as this womans situation!!! If you're planning to spend this summer curled up by the beach or curled up on the sofa, have this with you. Its so good that you'll read it again when you get home. Extremely funny and heartwarming it follows the story of Claire and her new addition. If you've any of these: a family, a baby, an ex-boyfriend, an interfering mum or a tendencey to revert to alcohol and shopping when things get tough-READ THIS... When you're done read about Claire's sister in the next book; Rachel's Holiday.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the bad reviews!!, 8 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
I urge anyone considering this book to give it a try. Its gripping right from the start, extremely funny and engaging. I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN. I absolutely loved Claire's family and have moved on to read Rachel's holiday since reading this. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is because...I was slightly disappointed by the ending, it did not seem realistic, and I was disappointed with Claire's character towards the end. But only slightly. STILL A MUST READ. Its still early days but I think Marian Keyes just might be my second favourite ...after Dorothy Koomson. READ READ READ!

3.0 out of 5 stars Watermelon, 7 May 2014
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
This is Marian Keyes's first published book so her craft improved as she wrote more books. The novice author can be seen in this women's fiction outing. The content is simple and writing is not layered.

We meet Irish lady Claire Walsh in London as she shows her new baby to her husband who then announces that he is leaving her. At first she thinks she shouldn't have asked him to watch the birth. Then it turns out he's been seeing another woman for six months. Claire is shattered and decides that she is using her maternity leave to go home to Dublin to the family house.

Here the scatty, friendly family are introduced to us, each with strong opinions and various ways of making or not making a living. This is a nineties book so we see Aussie soaps on TV and a soft drug culture among students and hippies. The handsome bloke Claire meets, Adam, is younger and taller and doesn't mind that she's separated with a new baby, though most young men would be backing off politely at the age of 22. Will the errant husband repent, and if so what will Claire say? The tale is often good fun.

The Poolbeg press which originally published this book left many proofreading, punctuation, grammar and style errors in the pages. "Adam stood for a moment, and loomed over Anna and I" is just one example. Almost all sentences begin new paragraphs. This is hard to read, and while it can be used for dramatic exposition, that isn't required all the way down every page. The author, editor, copy editor and proofreader also appear not to know that in dialogue, a continuing speech by one character does not close the quote marks between paragraphs. As almost all sentences of dialogue begin new paragraphs, this occurs with painful frequency, making it hard to keep track of who is saying what.

While a reviewer would not pass too much remark on an independently published book, this standard from an established press could definitely bear improvement. If the author regains the rights to her work I hope she will clean up the text before republishing as an e-book. Readers might like to try Keyes's excellent 'The Other Side Of The Story' written several books later than this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic debut, 7 April 2010
CC (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
It is easy to see why Keyes became so popular with Watermelon - it is here that we are introduced to Claire, a new mum, whose scumbag of a husband dumps her on the day she gives birth to their first child. She has no other option but to return to Ireland, to stay with her disfunctional and very funny family while she tries to mend her broken heart and sort out her head.

No chick lit romance would be complete without a love interest - in Watermelon, he is called Adam, who sounds too good to be true. In contrast, Claire's husband James is a poor pathetic excuse for a husband. I wanted to slap him many times on Claire's behalf!

The writing is rather dis-jointed at the beginning of the novel and it can get rather frustrating when all you want to do is lose yourself in the narrative. Thankfully, this particular device is not used so frequently in the 2nd part of the novel, which is good as this is where the storyline really starts to speed up.

I have to say that I found this novel very difficult to believe - could any husband really be so wicked to his wife who has just given birth to his first child? Could he really ignore his baby and have so little to do with her when she is born? Do men like Adam actually exist and if so, what is he doing with Claire when, quite frankly, we are led to believe that he could have any woman he wanted? But, having said that, wouldn't it be thoroughly boring and depressing if there were no such thing as poetic licence?

To be honest, you can see the ending a mile off but even though it is very predictable and nicely wrapped up at the end, I am glad that I read it. It is a decent book that has a good few laughs in it as well as being very sad at times.

Finally, the greatest unsung hero in the book is Daddy Walsh - bless his heart!

3.0 out of 5 stars A slice of Watermelon please and helping of laughter, 25 April 2009
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
This is the second Marian Keyes novel I have picked up in six months to read. I am bit of a late discoverer of her novels.

This is the story of Claire who less than 24 hours after giving birth her husband abandons her and she is forced to return home to Dublin and recover from something she did not see coming and come to terms with her new enforced life and this little person who she has so much love for. Then once she is sorted her husband returns and Claire goes back to square one.

This is book is fast and if I was reading the book out loud, I would be garbling away and talking too fast. It is a book you could quite easily skim read, and in parts I did to. Sorry Marian, but it was to me the way it was written and how Claire, who feels like a friend by the end of the first chapter, is on a rollercoaster of a ride in terms of emotions.

The book is written as Claire's conscience and cleverly goes through every feeling and emotion that Claire feels as she picks herself up from what has happened. As a reader we have all experienced similar feelings to Claire when your head tells you one thing, your heart another and your body something else entirely. This is a book to relate to, a book full of feelings that it has you captured until the very end, to the point where I wanted to scream at Claire for going down the supposed wrong path when in fact we have all done that in our lives and I am sure some of my friends wanted to scream at me, but knew I had to find out for myself. Claire's family are fantastically funny and her sisters Helen and Rachel balance out all this emotion plus the sensible talking of her mother.

A good funny read, a quick holiday one which will not leave your brain too taxed but a lovely warm feeling nonetheless. My only hope is that if I pick up another Keyes novel that it is not as fast and I do not skim read it because it does feel I am not getting anything out of the book that way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 11 May 2013
Watermelon
This was the second Marian Keyes book that I read and I absolutely loved it. I was drawn into the story right from the beginning and I couldn't wait to see how the story would continue to unfold. The story is centred on the Walsh family with Clare taking centre stage in this book and Marian takes the reader on the journey of Clare's life after she has just given birth and her husband has walked out on her. This is an excellent read which will have you captivated by Marian's writing style right from the beginning.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad start, 29 July 2008
S. Firth (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
i know this is marian's first book, and you can really tell too. i've only read one other book of hers (last chance saloon), but could really tell the difference. i wasnt sure i was going to like this book at first. It reminded me of sophie kinsella's books that are written from the characters point of view, and i never prefered that. the first chapter was slightly annoying, it had lots of 'funny' bits written in brackets. and i just wanted to get on with the story, it was like marian was trying too hard to be too funny and witty. it did get better after that though. and it got even better after claire came out of her depressed state (not that you could blame her). I especially LOVED the character of adam. if only men like that exisited! and really hated james. wow, claire should of punched him and cut his bits off.

I also loved claire's mad family. they provided much of the laughs of the book. especially helen and anna. i have the other books too about the walsh family and i'm looking forward to reading them too. I'm happy to say my early doubts of this book were wrong, and it proved to be a much much better book than i thought it would be. and if i was a writer i would be very happy if my first book was like this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Marian Keyes at her best!!!, 23 Jun. 2004
B. J. Burke "Proceeds go to CMA" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
This book was the first book of Marian Keyes that I read and it opened up a whole new world for me. Since then I just can't get enough of the witty Irish novelist.
This book has a finely balanced amount of laughter, sadness, humour, romance and neurotic behaviour. It is a must read for all those who have problems with men, shoe addiction and relationships. You won't look back and after reading this, Marian Keyes will be your new best friend :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book!, 2 Aug. 2006
Youla (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
I have read and re-read all of Marian's books and I love all of them. This one is very nice and touching.

I do not agree at all with the person a few posts below, who says "How did this become published?"... If this is not someone's style, then don't just buy it in order to write an "informed review" which certainly will be negative!

I cannot comment on what I liked in the book as I would have to "give away" twists in the plot. However, this was a great book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright but not her best, 30 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
I've loved reading this authors books but I must say that I didn't find this book as good as her others. I took this on holiday with me and something was missing with it. Normally I read Marians books quickly and don't want to put them down but I struggled to read this one. I did finish this book but I'm sorry to say I think if I had read this book before reading her other books I wouldn't have read the others.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

Watermelon
Watermelon by Marian Keyes (Paperback - 7 July 2005)