5.0 out of 5 stars a must read!!!
this is an amazingly funny book! really is great, if your in any doubt buy it!! its worth it, it was the first marian keyes book and bought, and ive read is twice and its still great! you cant put it down you can really relate to poor old claire, and you really want to help her in her hour of need!! really is brilliant, go and buy!
Published on 25 July 2006 by Ruth Cannon

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best not the worst
Published on 1 Feb. 2013 by MJQte

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read!!!, 25 July 2006
Ruth Cannon "ruth cannon" (wirral merseyside) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Watermelon - Marian Keyes, 12 Aug. 2010
lucie Wheeler (essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book!

This was a recommendation from a friend and I have not read any of Marian Keyes's other books, so I cannot compare it to her other work; all I can say is what I thought of this particular one.

If I'm honest, when I read the first few chapters I had mixed feelings. Marian has written this book in first person, which is great, but the way she addresses the reader so often is very strange. But in a good way, I might add.
It is just something new to get used to, and it makes her writing style very unique. (Well, I haven't come across another book as yet that talks so much to you, the reader, so personally.) It is as if you are in a room with Claire Webster, having a nice girly chat with her about everything. As I said, it took me a couple of chapters to get used to this style of writing but once I had, I loved it. It really makes you connect with the character.

So, about the story itself. Well, It's about a young woman called Claire Webster and the book opens with her giving birth to her first child with husband James. But it all goes downhill from there for poor Claire. James then leaves after admitting to an affair and leaves Claire to deal with the fact that she now has a newborn baby to look after and no husband. She returns home to Ireland to stay with her family and grieve over her loss. Everyone rallies around and we meet most of her family; Mum, Dad, and two of her sisters Helen and Anna. Time goes on and she begins to come through the ordeal when a guy comes along to throw her emotions into turmoil. I wont spoil it by saying what happens but at some point James returns but he isn't as apologetic as maybe he should be. Claire is left with the decision of whether to take him back or not, but does she make the right decision and who, if anyone does she end up with....

The way Marian Keyes describes the long list of emotions Claire suffers after the initial abandonment from James is brilliant and so well written.

This book is an amazing insight to single mothers and their struggles. An extremely well written book which has made me want to buy more of her work. I cant wait to read the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not mind expanding but an absolutely fantastic read..., 23 Jun. 2006
L. A. M. Seal - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
The joy of Marian Keyes is that she can make you belly-laugh and leak tears on the same page. No, not everyone is like Claire, but everyone has experienced some of the things she has to deal with, and the whole idea of this book is to go with her as she grows up and changes to become a different person; whilst we have a good time of it reading about her and the rest of the Walshes. Who are, incidentally, real, human, funny and awful caricatures at the same time! No, its not cutting edge fashionable literature, but it is imaginitive storytelling how it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down!, 9 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
This is the first MK book I've read, I've had it for ages sitting on the shelf, however I really loved MK style of writing and was quite funny. Loved the story also and the madness of Claire's family. After reading a quarter of the book, I could not put it down, I had to find out how it ended. Can't wait to read more books from this writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh My God!, 29 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
I totally loved this book! I was hooked by the end of chapter one! I previously read angels in this series and a couple of others by the same auther and this has to be the best by far! Although I did feel like jumping into the book and shaking James till his head fell off! What a really nasty person! How Claire didnt slap him I will never know!

I would seriously recomend this book for anyone wanting a night in and a laugh! Do not go out in public and read this book, its too embarrassing when you laugh out loud!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best not the worst, 1 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
After reading " Rachel's Holiday" I wanted to read more from the writer as I found it easy to read and entertaining. The problem with watermelon is that there is so much useless fat, that can be easily removed and it will not harm the book at all. I got used with Rachels holiday, to the suddenly change of topic between sentences and its fine, as I said, is an easy book to read, but sometimes in the middle of an interesting part the topic will change to something completely irrelevant and 3 pages later will return to the topic without adding anything valuable. I found myself skipping sentences/paragraphs as I just coulnd stand it. Also as the other book, when you finish reading it, you feel like there are pages missing... there is not final conclusion, I finished the book looked at my husband and said in frustration..."and then?!" but probably thats what the autor wants as is now 2 out of 2 with the same end result... there are no real ends, probably I'm to used to television.
In summary, not a bad book, I laughed, I felt angry, happy, I related with the main caracter with some stuff but a shorter version or adding more caracters/situations will make it more interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watermelon, 5 April 2006
Amazon Customer (SOUTH LANARKSHIRE, SCOTLAND United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
Watermelon was the 1st book from Marian Keyes that I read and from the first chapter I was absaloutly hooked. The characters are warm and real and the story is fantastic. Marian has such a fantastic way of writing that captivates you from the very start. I cannot recomend this book or this authour highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and Easy to Read, 6 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
The style of this book is very chatty, and therefore it was very easy to get swept up in the story. It required minimal concentration to understand the story and it was quite predictable in places.

The book starts in quite a negative manor with Claire being left by her husband on the day she gives birth to her child. As with most of Keyes' books it is set in Dublin and off Claire goes back to her family. While with her family she then gathers her strength and enables herself to become a single parent. As with many other of Keyes books the happy ending was a little on the predictable side and was always going to happen.

I really hated some of the characters - James for example made my skin crawl (I think he was probably meant to though), and I am not a fan of Helens screeching tone (but again this grated on me during Rachel's Holiday as well. Many of the characters feature in other Marian Keyes books but you don't need to read them in order.

Also not sure why the book was called `Watermelon' unless I missed something during the reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully depressing yet some how exhileratinly optimistic, 3 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
This book begins with possibly one of the most depressing story lines I have ever read. It begins with introducing us to the main character Claire who is in hospital having given birth to her first child when her husband anounces that he is about to leave her and their newly born baby.
This book details Claire's life from the moment realization sets in, to moving home,her first time alone with her baby and moving to Irland to live with her parents and rather strange sisters.
It is well written and I would expect little less then this from such a telented writer. The tale seems as though it will never end, the torture the main character is experiencing, what she puts her self through and how she pulls her self through. It is packed with emotions, hopes, dreams and memories.It is a book all broken hearted women can identify with and a book that all men should read if they want to understand what breaking up really means.
A heart renching tale of love, hate, revenge, needs and wants. Although it seems impossible due to the nature of the storyline, this book is very complelling and funny to read. It will make you laugh out loud and sob your heart out all in the same page.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 12 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
A story of a woman's triumph through grief. As Claire is landed with a new born baby and a deserted husband, she's not quite sure what to do with herself. It seem's the only option is to go home to her quirky family. After she passes a few weeks of grief for her soon to be ex - husband, James, she meets her 18 year old sister's friend, Adam. He helps her through the worst time of her life and she finally comes to the decision that she doesn't need James anymore - that is until, he shows up. This book manages to capture the devestating and refreshing qualities of a broken marriage and how what may seem the worst thing in your life can also be the best.

Watermelon
Watermelon by Marian Keyes (Paperback - 7 July 2005)