5.0 out of 5 stars a meander through a magical world
A writer that expresses perfectly the isolation and loneliness of the modern world, Murakami's short stories are like peering through a dozen windows into a world where fantasy and reality mix, seperate and blend together again. His talent lies in the ability to take the mundane and make it fantastic, offering us a peek into ordinary lives sprinkled with the kind of...
Published on 8 Feb 2006 by radicallypoetic

3.0 out of 5 stars Short story collection up to Murakami's usual standard
This is Murakami's first proper short story collection in English since The Elephant Vanishes. After the Quake, though also a collection of short stories, is more of a coherent work, whereas these two collections draw from stories published from all periods of Murakami's career, and from many different collections in Japanese.

The publication dates of the...
Published on 13 Dec 2007 by Greshon

5.0 out of 5 stars Master of the short story, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Paperback)
Atmospheric, enigmatic, gentle, seductive, Murakami - what do you say!

I am addicted to his writing - seven books; one after the other - last time I did that was with Virginia Woolf,,,

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get this cheaper anywhere else !!!, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Paperback)
Item exactly as described. No issues or problems. Goods received promptly. Would use again. What more do you need ?

4.0 out of 5 stars Realities Galore, 15 Jun 2013
Keizu (Helsinki, Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Paperback)
If you like Murakami you are going to enjoy these stories, chock full as they are of classic Murakami elements like talking monkeys, ghosts and alternate reality. But his writing is so simple and straight forward that you find yourself accepting these things as a normal part of the Murakami universe and wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars fragile, magical short stories, 16 Jun 2012
markr - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Paperback)
This is a wonderful collection of short stories. If, like me, you are a fan of Murakami's writing, there will be much here to enjoy. There are of course many of the usual Murakami elements; talking animals, ear lobes, cats and jazz of course, and a theme of solitude and loneliness in many of the stories. Some of these tales are fairly straightforward, others quite surreal - particularly the Sinagawa Monkey, and the Poor Aunt story.

This collection is prefaced by an interesting introduction from Murakami, which gives some insight into his writing as well information about when some of the stories were written. For example he explains that two of these stories were later expanded into full novels, thus creating the openings of Norwegian Wood and Sputnik Sweetheart

As always with Murakami these are mostly fragile stories about fragile people - strange, magical and compelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hruki Murakami, 19 Aug 2011
This review is from: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Paperback)
best author ever ! ab fab. really gives you an insight into Japanes culture. Have read almost all of his books now, never get tired of his style of writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bewildered...., 3 Feb 2011
This review is from: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Paperback)
I'm not at all sure what to make of these nuggets of literature. It's not that I dislike them, I don't. I like the way they make me ponder them long after I've read them, and I'm firmly of the belief that you don't have to have everything spelled out to you, or indeed understand everything, in order to gain something from this type of literature. BUT, I keep feeling frustrated by them and want to know more, require a bit more solidity. Maybe it's the short story format of them that doesn't allow this - his novels can be equally ethereal, but have more substance to them (inevitably). Think of this collection as leaves being gently buffeted by the breeze in a random fashion, with no real destination and they will probably make more sense. If you want to read his short stories I think After The Quake is much more fulfilling
Not bad, but not great either.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as usual..., 10 Sep 2009
This review is from: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Paperback)
After reading 'Norwegian Wood' I became an avid Murakami fan. This book is lots of fun. Various short stories that all tell a complete tale in their own right. The characters are typical Murakami, and the stories told with his usual flair. An imperative for any fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars snippets of oddities, 24 July 2009
W. Ridout (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Paperback)
Great read if you know Murakami already. If you don't you may need to suspend reality and chuck away any idea about stories requiring a start, a middle and an end. His novels barely manage that and this is a collection of short stories.

I'm dont exactly know what I am talking about, but he seems a little more at home with short stories. Perhaps his way of writing (which is beautifully descriptive and tends to skip from idea to idea) is more difficult when he is tied down with characters and threads that you have to persist through a whole novel.

Anyway, I loved it, but then I like all of his stuff.

But....if this is your first Murakami purchase, buy 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles' instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply irresistible, 18 Dec 2007
M. Klingenberg "romtarom" (London) - See all my reviews
As I am getting older I become much more fond of audio books,. They are very nice to listen to when you are travelling to and from work in London for example, trying to shut out the noises of other people on their phones or blasting the trains with high pitched sounds from MP3 players.
This collection of Murakami stories is one example of soothing yet stimulating audio pleasure. I personally don't think, it's necessarely his best writing, in fact most of his work after Wind up bird chronicles left me cold, but these stories are red with such diction and emphasis, so much warmth in the speakers voices, it is sheer bliss. This to me seems a perfect gift to anybody who enjoys challenging literature performed by people, who actually know what they are doing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous Murakami, 29 Nov 2007
This review is from: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Paperback)
I don't normally like short stories, but this is an excellent collection and a great introduction to people who have never had the pleasure of reading Murakami before. (Athough I have). Nothing is as it seems of course but even the most mundane of events are written and described so well, whether it's a `detective' hanging around an apartments stairwell or a couple eating a delicious crab meal. I found myself wishing my journey to work was longer so I could finish off a story - not something I wish very often! Some of them (no make that all of them) are totally bizarre but each and every one are written in such a way that you can't help becoming engrossed and even spellbound by them. My favourites I think are Hunting Knife, Man Eating Cats, Nausea 1979, Where I'm Likely to Find it and Haneli Bay. Other stories such as Dabchick and A `Poor Aunt' Story left me shaking my head in confusion and laughter. If anyone is interested my favourite Murakami novel is Wind Up Bird Chronicle. Enjoy!

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami (Paperback - 5 July 2007)
5.99