5.0 out of 5 stars Shirley Hughes - Best Children's Writer, 17 Feb 2009
This review is from: Alfie and the Big Boys (Hardcover)
My son like I am are really looked forward to the next installment in the life and antics of Alfie as he starts to grow up.

True to form it's another 5 star classic from Shirley Hughes, beautifully written and illustrated. All that my son and I can hope is that she has enough time to write a few more in the series.

I also highly recommend Shirley Hughes's Nursery collection which is excellent for the under 3 age group. They are written in rhyme which is very important as it helps to hold the interest for the youngest age group.

We have all the Alfie, Annie Rose my Little Sister and Olly & Me books and can't recommend them highly enough. The whole family especially enjoys Dogger.

I would also like to recommend the Katie books (Sunflowers, Mona Lisa & the Impressionists) by James Mayhew. Because of these books my 3 year old son loves going to art galleries to see the actual pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic Alfie story, 3 Dec 2007
This review is from: Alfie and the Big Boys (Hardcover)
I was so glad to see this new Alfie story and to be able to add it to our collection. Shirley Hughes really understands the minds of small children, how they tick and the world as they see it. A lovely story where Alfie learns that even big boys cry sometimes. As usual the charming illustrations reflect a comforting multi-cultural childhood world without ever becoming twee or patronising. This is the sixth Alfie book, he must be middle aged now, but more please, more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 5 Aug 2010
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Alfie and the Big Boys (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book, looking at all the insecurities children have when they go to school. From his nursery, Alfie and his friend can see all the big boys - including Ian, the leader of the pack. Yet Ian never notices Alfie. Then Alfie has to go to a plant sale with his mother and sees Ian crying, because he has lost sight of his mother. Now Alfie gets to be the big boy, comforting Ian and finally winning friendship (in private) and acknowledgement (in public!) from his new friend. Shirley Hughes captures the world of childhoold perfectly. My kids love the crying Ian, it always makes them laugh when I do the hiccupping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Shirley Hughes book to add to my collection, 11 Feb 2010
April Slocombe (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alfie and the Big Boys (Paperback)
I grew up reading at least one Alfie story and this title was appealing to me. This book shows that Shirley Hughes has developed her illustrations by giving her characters actual eye colours unlike her earlier books. I especially like the way she expresses her characters in this book while on the other hand, my mum likes the way they are dressed.

Before I purchased this book, I wanted to see how Alfie would interact with the big boys if he ever got a chance and he did. This is one of Shirley's most reassuring tales ever written. I was surprised when I found out that it was only published three years ago, but it's still as good as the other Alfie stories I've read. 5/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great illustrations, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: Alfie and the Big Boys (Paperback)
I just love the illustrations and what a good book for getting the little boys interested in story time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 11 Oct 2010
This review is from: Alfie and the Big Boys (Paperback)
My children adore these books, in fact all books by Shirley Hughes are a hit in our house.
I read her books as a child,now my children.... they leave a warm glow that stays with you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Alfie magic!, 16 April 2009
L. MacPherson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alfie and the Big Boys (Paperback)
My four year old son loves monsters, Ben 10, Power Rangers and all the other things little boys of his age like but he LOVES Alfie. I think he identifies with the Alfie stories, thus the reason he likes them so much. This story, as with all of Shirley Hughes Alfie stories, is true to life and gets the young reader caught up in the tale. I have three children and they all like Alfie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Alfie, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Alfie and the Big Boys (Paperback)
Alwlays a treat to buy for the grandchildren! the stories and illustrations are a treat to behold. It reminds me of my grandson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 8 Jan 2014
K. P. J. Pentecost "Ambieman" (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alfie and the Big Boys (Paperback)
My two boys used to love reading these books. Bought this for a 5 yr old with cerebral palsy. He won't go to sleep until his parents have read it every night.
Delivery was very quick, even though it was close to Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alfie books, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: Alfie and the Big Boys (Paperback)
This is the second time I've bought the Alfie books. Once for my first grandson now 22years old and second for the latest who is just 2years this month. It's as much a pleasure for me to read these books and I love the illustrations. I never get fed up with them. I will be buying more.

ARRAY(0xa0bd16c0)

Alfie and the Big Boys
Alfie and the Big Boys by Shirley Hughes (Paperback - 5 Mar 2009)
4.49