4.0 out of 5 stars An impressive achievement
Published on 22 Dec. 2009 by hiljean

3.0 out of 5 stars A found this book sobering reading I hope that life ...
A found this book sobering reading I hope that life has changed for black people today ,we were all created equal and surely the shape we are or the colour of our skin shouldn't influence our treatment of each other
Published 2 months ago by Mrs J.

4.0 out of 5 stars An impressive achievement, 22 Dec. 2009
hiljean (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: To Sir, With Love (Paperback)
I picked this up second-hand after hearing something on the radio about the author (I now realise this book and the sequel were serialised on Radio 4 a few years ago). I saw the film starring Sidney Poitier many years ago so knew what it was about. In the book, as always, you get more: his background as a pilot in the RAF, and the discrimination he faced after demob which was overt and appalling.

The real story remains, however, his struggle to engage his final-year students at an East End secondary school and to try to influence their way of thinking and their behaviour. Written in a somewhat formal and dated style, it nevertheless makes a real impression and literally gets you under the skin of what it was like to be a well-educated black person in Britain in the 50s. One of the most memorable scenes in the book (which I can't remember being in the film) was a chance encounter with an elderly and wise man on a park bench who literally changed his life by showing understanding and pointing to a future career. On such unpredictable events our lives can turn!

After I had finished the book I was intrigued to know more about this writer and there is quite an extensive and informative Wikipedia entry on him. Among other facts are that both his parents went to Oxford University, he got a degree and a doctorate at Cambridge, and later went on to become Amabassador for Guyana in Venezuela. He has written several other books, and I would certainly be happy to read more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars To Sir, With Love - An Inspiring And Heartwarming Novel., 10 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: To Sir, with Love (Paperback)
To Sir, With Love by E.R. Braithwaite is a truly heartfelt and inspiring novel about a teacher's trials and tribulations in an East London high school. Braithwaite writes about his own experiences with a senior class and the prejudice that comes with his job. This is an incredible read. Through the perfect balance of description and dialogue, the author really makes you live what he went through as a teacher in that situation. The use of imagery, or word painting, allows you to visualise all of the various settings. What makes this book so spectacular is that we can all relate to this story to some degree, because many of us have been in a terrible situation, which we have overcome and that is exactly what E.R. Braithwaite did; he overcame the prejudice that faced him at every turn.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic in my eyes, 2 Sept. 2014
I must have read this book some 35+ years ago and although I had forgotten a lot of its content I had remembered that it was one of the best books I had read at school and it certainly made me look at my teachers in a different light never mind the cultural differences that were going on around us at the time. We are definitely more accepting in 2014 than we were when I was at secondary school in the 70's but still have a long way to go even now which in itself is quite sad. Still a brilliant book and a shame it's not more read for gcse in place of some of the other reading our children are forced to endure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating read !, 31 Oct. 2014
This book was captivating from start to finish, written with such descriptive accuracy that the settings and characters came to life as you read along.
Obviously a sad recount of the prejudices of the era.... but you pleasantly cheer for all involved as they 'triumph over adversity' in more ways than expected.
Excellent book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 6 July 2014
This is quite simply wonderful. At times heart-breaking, at times undoubtedly inspiring, always relevant. Definitely up there with the best books I've read. I'm quite tempted to send Michael Gove a copy - hopefully he might learn a thing or two about teaching and how to prepare future generations...

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't,t believe I hadn,t read it previously, 17 April 2014
My life As a youth worker, lecturer and teacher had perhaps been influenced by the film I watched as a child. The book brings to life both the joy of teaching, and the horror of racial discrimination. Inspiring read for teachers, and all who work with teenagers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 10 Oct. 2013
Loved reading this as a teenager, just as inspiring now I'm in my 40's. A good read with a powerful message.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... the film version before reading the book - but enjoyed both. book felt but more dated even than ..., 13 Oct. 2014
seen the film version before reading the book - but enjoyed both. book felt but more dated even than the film set in the sixties is. good character descriptions and interesting storyline much like my current job in challenging area of a big city!

3.0 out of 5 stars A found this book sobering reading I hope that life ..., 20 Jan. 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars ... school when I was taking my O levels - enjoyed then and enjoyed now, 19 Dec. 2014
This was a re-visit for me - read this at school when I was taking my O levels - enjoyed then and enjoyed now, I think I understood the nuances of the book this time through though....

To Sir, With Love
To Sir, With Love by E. R. Braithwaite (Paperback - 4 Aug. 2005)