5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended
I would highly rec'd this book to both those in the helping professions working with people with eating disorders and also those suffering with one. I have found it invaluable as a Psychotherapist but more importantly in my recovery from bulimia. I reread it almost every year.
Published on 23 Mar 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Physcology based
Quite wordy heavy to swallow, not sure it has been powerful enough to convince me not to diet and to learn to love me for wjho i am and what i look like, society demands so much from us all and we have been trained since birth to conform to it!
Published 5 months ago by Eugenia Oram

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 23 Mar 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book now, 2 April 2009
N. Bennet (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fat Is A Feminist Issue (Paperback)
I simply can not speak highly enough of this book and the effect it has had on me. I feel as though I have had years of therapy, and the effects are not limited to my attitude to food, but are seeping into other areas of my life too. I honestly believe that I will never over-eat again in my life and I feel completely free of all anxiety surrounding food.

I knew that dieting had never worked for me, and I knew that my emotions were somehow bound up in my eating habits, but I didn't have the tools to unlock them. Orbach very concisely lists the main reasons we form anxiety about our bodies, obsessively diet, and compulsively eat and helps you to work through these complex neuroses and come to terms with your body and learn to see food as a friend again. I have cleared my cupboards of low-fat diet products and filled them with abundant gorgeous food. Yet I'm the slimmest I've been in years!

Ladies, buy this book now, fall back in love with food (and your body) and you'll never have to say The diet starts Monday" ever again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read for sure, 28 Jan 2012
Jodi-Hummingbird - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fat Is A Feminist Issue (Paperback)
This is a book I have heard mentioned every now and then for many years and I have always wanted to know what the book was about. So when I saw a cheap used copy I couldn't resist buying it to find out.

I'm somewhat overweight and have many serious health problems, which contribute to my weight issues in a number of ways. I didn't expect to relate so much to the different reasons that I could be choosing to stay overweight, but after reading this book I now have no doubt that at least part of my inability to maintain a healthier weight is not physical.

I'm a feminist, of course. (I don't understand at all any woman who wouldn't want to be identified as a feminist, someone who supports equal rights for men and women, and who find the term cringe-worthy. It is only a terrible term if you believe all the anti-feminist and status quo supporting media and propaganda and so on, surely?) But I was surprised in reading this book how much of it really hit home with me, but how little any of it had to do with my gender or with feminism!

Not all the possible reasons for staying overweight had to do with feminism, as the title of this book may suggest. In fact, the vast majority of them did not. Some of the parts which did have to do with gender, such as mother-daughter competitiveness issues, I didn't relate to at all, possibly because they the book is very dated. (My mother has always worked and so doesn't envy my ability to work, for example.)

Some of the book is very dated, but it is easy enough to skip over those parts and to spend time contemplating the more timeless concepts. I'd very much recommend this book for men dealing with high or low weight issues, as well as women. It is a classic and you're sure to gain some real insight into your unconscious thoughts and actions by reading it.

This book provides lots of food for thought!

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all women, 14 Sep 2004
By A Customer
I first read this book about two years ago whilst pregnant with my first baby and it absolutely blew me away with its honesty and clarity. I have struggled with eating, body image and food since early adolesence, but since reading this and working hard to apply its principles to my life I am the lightest I have ever been, I am relaxed about food and eating and despite having a post-baby body I think I look marvellous!
I would thoroughly recommend it for any woman who has problems with their eating: I would not have believed the almost magical effect it would have on me.

5.0 out of 5 stars In depth, practical and thought provoking, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: Fat Is A Feminist Issue (Paperback)
I have now read a multitude of different books on overeating and for me this has been the best one...if you buy any book, buy this one!
why?
1. It goes into the general cultural context- why women have a problem with fat, what those problems might be, etc...she's done her research
2. She provides the basics for a new approach which is similar to the one advocated by Geneen Roth, the beyond chocolate method,etc but consolidates their ideas into this one comprehensive book
3. She provides practical excercises on how to start facing your body issues with mirror excercises/writing excercises, etc.

All in all the most practical, satisfying book i've read on the subject and the one that's helped me most to gain a new perspective of my eating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Still totally relevant., 28 April 2009
M. Stewart "Laurie's mum" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fat Is A Feminist Issue (Paperback)
It's a classic feminist text and well worth reading. It was my first time of reading and some of the ideas have entered into common knowledge, but that doesn't mean it isn't still shocking and hugely relevant. Excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The original "anti-diet" book, 3 Mar 2001
By A Customer
The insights offered in this book still relate very pertinently to today. The exercises give some devastating insights into how you perceive food, and how that relates to your self-image. This book stands head and shoulders above some of the later books in terms of its simplicity. It is needed now more than ever with the "liberation" of women, which has led more and more to a distorted media image of women's bodies.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must Read', 20 July 2009
MissO (Washington DC, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fat Is A Feminist Issue (Paperback)
I wish I had come across this book 15 years ago! It would have spared me lots of pain and wasted time!

At some point in my life, I lost 50Kgs over less than a year, and was able to maintain this weight for about 1+ yr. However, while I had the dieting under control, I had not resolved the emotional triggers that push me to reach out for food.. and also I was not prepared for the emotional 'consequences' that my new weight will bring. I could not handle the 'new me'/life and gave in to the comfort and security of food and put back 25 kgs in a short period of time.

Weight loss is presented in our society as the solution to all bodies issues. Little attention is given to the social and psychological motives behind overeating and binging, but here lie the keys to a long-term resolution of bodies issues (be it with weight loss or acceptance of how one is). 'Fat is a Feminist Issue' enlighted me with key concepts and provided 'support' to understand myself better, stop blaming myself and finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Suzie Orbach gives very insightful remarks on female psychology and practical help to resolve body issues. Several times, I felt 'how does she know that?' as I always thought I was the only one in this very well-guarded behavior.. It felt so good to be understood, and no longer feel alone dealing with eating disorder problems.

Her advice and practical exercises made me realize unconscious roots of behaviorial problems, and gave me the foundations to resolve them.

The only minor criticisms I have is that some feminist references made in this book are no longer valid in this day and age, or at least not to this extent. This book was written in 1978, so it is understandable. In any case, I still found them interesting as they helped me understand some of the factors that shaped my mother, and how this, in turn, affected me.
Also, while the book present in a clear manner psychological concepts and patterns of behaviors as well as exercises, it sometimes lack in practical tips on how to change your old habits. That said, this is the most difficult part and take a lot of time and discipline!

I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fat is a feminist issue, 18 Aug 2010
This review is from: Fat Is A Feminist Issue (Paperback)
A friend of mine told me this book changed her life so I thought I really should give it a go and I can see why it was so powerful. The feminist issues explored, whilst at times sounding quite extreme have really opened my eyes. I would recommend this book to anyone, fat or thin, but especially those raising daughters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless - essenial reading for all women, 4 Sep 2008
This review is from: Fat Is A Feminist Issue (Paperback)
Any woman who has ever considered losing weight or going on a diet (which means most of us!) should read this book. Despite being written several decades ago it is still as pertinent, powerful and important as it was in the seventies. It could quite lietrally change the way you approach weight loss (for the better!!) for ever. Buy it NOW!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Fat Is A Feminist Issue
Fat Is A Feminist Issue by Susie Orbach (Paperback - 5 Jan 2006)
6.99