4.0 out of 5 stars Skin Privilege/Beyond Reach
Published on 14 Aug 2007 by Dr Evil

3.0 out of 5 stars Also titled BEYOND REACH (USA)
Published on 22 Aug 2007 by OEJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Skin Privilege/Beyond Reach, 14 Aug 2007
Dr Evil (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
'Skin Privilege' (called 'Beyond Reach' in the U.S.), the sixth book in Karin Slaughter's Grant County series begins when Sara and her husband, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver, must travel to rural Reese, where Lena Adams, Jeffrey's often reckless detective, has been injured in an explosion that killed a local woman. Lena's mysterious escape from the hospital plunges her, Sara and Jeffrey into a dangerous web of meth trafficking, white supremacy groups and long-buried family secrets.

Once you get past the slow start this book is a brilliant read that is truly unputdownable. Slaughter expertly shifts back and forth in both time and point of view connecting every loose plot strand in a devastating and unforgettable climax. My only real complaint about this book is the fact that the story all revolves around Lena (again) as she isn't the best character in the series by a long shot and her almost teenager-like attitude and persona is becoming increasingly more annoying with each book. Otherwise this is an excellent read that fans of the series should love and the shocking and unforgettable ending is strong enough to whet your appetite for Slaughters next book, Sleeping Dogs, due in 2008.

5.0 out of 5 stars SHOCKING !, 29 Oct 2008
A. Rose (Devon & Menorca) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
One or two people have put massive spoilers in some of their reviews for this book (under Skin Privilege) so unfortunately I knew what was coming and when it did it was totally shocking. If you have followed the `Grant County' series from book 1 (Blindsighted) through to this possibly final one (I say possibly because I've read somewhere that Karin Slaughter is taking a few years off from `Grant County'), you will have appreciated how as a writer Slaughter has matured and developed her characters. This is especially so in the fifth book (Faithless) in which she incorporates Sara and Jeffrey first meeting into the up to date story and gives the reader great insight into their relationship which puts into perspective some of the feelings and emotions of the previous books, and indeed into Skin Privilege.

Much of this book is about Lena Adams, Jeffrey's former colleague. Some reviewers have said that it's too much about Lena rather than Jeffrey and Sara but Lena has always been a big part of Grant County and, in a way, this book has gone back into Lena's past in the same way Faithless did with Jeffrey and Sara. Lena deserved to have her childhood looked into and have some of the wrongs put right. She's always seemed such an angry and bad tempered character in the previous books and in this one, her upbringing by her uncle Hank comes to the fore and answers some previously unasked questions. For past readers of the Grant County series all this is more important than the crimes which the book is centred around, but for those who are reading this as a stand alone story then the dreadful vicious murders, violence, racism and thrill of the chase gives a great un-put-downable story. I think Slaughter is up there with the best of the crime and thriller writers and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book or any of the Grant County series.

One last thing, if you read this book DO NOT BUY SKIN PRIVILEGE, it is the same book with a different title.

5.0 out of 5 stars US publication of Skin Privileges, 26 July 2007
Not very good of Amazon recommending this as a book to buy with Skin Privileges when this is the same book

5.0 out of 5 stars Blew me away at the end!!!, 12 July 2007
This review is from: Skin Privilege (Hardcover)
Like all other Karin fans I implore that IF YOU HAVE NOT READ ANY OF HER BOOKS BEFORE (apart from Tryptych) then do NOT read this.
I read it in one sitting and was up until the early hours. Could not put it down. I followed it with no problems at all, more so than the book that went back to Jeffery's hometown. However, all the things that are good in the other reviews I can echo and a bit more some. I am already itching for the sequel. There must be a fast one. I am already starting to re-read this one and I have never done that before because I missed the clues that gave me the ending that actually made me swear out loud and like Mr. Meldrew I kep thinking "No. I cannot believe it!! No way"
but despite re-reading the final page several times it was as it said. What a corker of a book. If you have read the other books set in Heartsdale with Sara, Jeffery and Lena then you MUST read this. Brilliant. Gruesome. Page turning. Sad. Funny. Suspense. All there. Brilliant work Karin!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the best !!, 5 Aug 2007
This review is from: Skin Privilege (Hardcover)
I have read every one of these books and they are fantastic - possibly with the exception of the Lena side of things - she's just annoying.
Anyway, this book was no exception. Fantastically written.
The plot was excellent but I found the connections between all the people a bit hard to follow - closer to the end it was explained better.

If you have read the other books I would advise you to definitely read this one, even if it's just for the ending !! it's completely crucial to the series now.
I know the ending may seem a little crazy and I wasn't happy about it either but just think of the possibilities !! I can't wait to see where Karin Slaughter is heading with this, she's taken a chance that not many other writers would take and I think it's brilliant, it's brave !

If you haven't read the other books don't start with this one !! Read them in order.

3.0 out of 5 stars Also titled BEYOND REACH (USA), 22 Aug 2007
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Skin Privilege (Paperback)
After the stand-alone of TRIPTYCH we're back in the more familiar part of Georgia called Grant County and the characters who make up the series that now numbers six and revolves around the lives and careers of paediatrician and medical examiner Dr Sara Linton, local Chief of Police Jeffrey Tolliver and his assistant Detective Lena Adams. Actually the majority of this tale takes place in a small Georgia town in Elawah County where Lena has got herself involved with swastika-tattooed crystal meth traders while she tries hard to reconstruct the life she was given to believe was her own and which mainly involves her `user' uncle Hank, her late parents, her late twin sister Sibyl and her now imprisoned ex-boyfriend Ethan. While Lena's mission forms the backbone to the story, it's really the relationship of Sara and Jeffrey that is right at the front of the reader's conscience as they attempt to find the missing Lena and help the local police track down the perpetrators of a number of horrific murders.

The emphasis on Sara's love for her husband Jeffrey - slightly over-cooked throughout the novel - is eventually justified at the very end. Apart from one or two autopsies, when the writer always seems to shift into an altogether more professional and page-turning gear, on reflection this tale is really about Sara's love for Jeffrey, and to a lesser extent Lena's quest for the truth regarding her roots and upbringing. Compared to the other novels in this series, I would suggest that this is more of a romantic thriller than others which have focused rather more on acts of crime and the solving of them; in this tale the bad guys are almost always in the background and there is little in the way of justice or redemption. But just before I was about to complain about that, there was the most unexpected of endings, one which made most of what had gone before almost irrelevant, and it is that which will linger in my mind over the next few days. As a complete story it took a long while to get going, and to be honest I even considered giving up, but the pace picked up just in time about midway through, enough to carry things along to the explosive conclusion. I think it fair to say that it would be best to read the previous five novels in the series to get the greatest pleasure out of this latest one, as there is a heavy dependence upon knowing, understanding and caring for the three primary characters.

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this the worst ending of a book EVER!?!?, 18 Aug 2007
This review is from: Skin Privilege (Hardcover)
I never thought I'd be disappointed by an instalment in one of my favourite crime series but that's how I find myself feeling tonight. It sounds very melodramatic, but I feel almost betrayed by the ending of the book. I know awful things happen to people in real life every day and the author's letter explains she wants a realistic portrayal of crime, but lets be honest now - if we wanted that much realism we'd all be reading a newspaper not crime fiction!

We've all invested time and money in these characters (and grown to love some of them), and for one of them to be treated so shabbily at the end - with less than 2 pages devoted to the ending - has somehow cheapened the whole series for me.

Okay, deep breath, it's just a book! I actually felt that the book was the weakest in the series before the ending - perhaps because there was just too much of Lena for my taste. I'm glad to see from other reviews it's not just me! I would have given it 3 stars but it lost one for the ending. I didn't find the story as interesting as the others although I did like the way the past and present storylines unfolded side by side. I love the way Karin plays around with timelines and slowly weaves separate strands together.

I'm looking forward to her new book next year, if it's half as good as Triptych it'll be well worth the wait. I'm not sure if I'll return to Grant County, but perhaps I'll have forgiven her by the time Genesis is published!

1.0 out of 5 stars Duplication, 18 Jan 2010
J. Pascoe "Bundle" (Kent UK) - See all my reviews
Yes, this is a good Karin Slaughter book but it is not a new one. It is just a different title. It is also known as 'Skin Privelege'. So don't be fooled into buying it. I am told that Genesis is also sold under a different title as well, so be careful.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Betrayal of a Reader's Trust, 24 July 2007
This review is from: Skin Privilege (Hardcover)
I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the Grant County books from Karin Slaughter and looked forward to receiving the newest "Skin Privilege" with great enthusiasm.
Whilst this book is as well written as all her previous novels, I was discomforted by the increasingly bleak outlook for her main characters in particular Lena and Sara.
However, the reason for my dramatic title to this review is the ending of the book.
I will not spoil it for other readers, but it infuriated me. I see absolutely no reason for the book to end that way other than an author's desire to completely break away from a series.
The book probably deserves 4 stars for the quality of the writing, but since I wanted to give it just 1 star because of the ending, this is a more than fair compromise I feel!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Also titled BEYOND REACH (USA), 22 Aug 2007
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Skin Privilege (Hardcover)

Skin Privilege: (Grant County series 6)
Skin Privilege: (Grant County series 6) by Karin Slaughter (Paperback - 27 Mar 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01